Snow Chains!!

Following on from Tobys thread regarding a route to Rome… viewtopic.php?f=3&t=53162 there were quite a few comments made regarding snow chains so I thought I would start a new thread concerning them as its getting towards that time when the white stuff starts to fall!! :smiley:

This was fitting some chains onto the 2 drive axles of a 6 x 4 rigid, opposite sides and axles, one on each side.

Freezing, burning fingers… put them on, drive abit, stop and tighten them up, drive abit further then…TAKE THEM OFF AGAIN :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :imp: :imp: …Then go abit further and put the bloody things back on again. :unamused: :unamused: :laughing:

Snow chains really are an absolute pain in the backside,a nightmare to muck around with but you would be surprised at how quick you can fit them after a while!!
Fitting them during the day is one thing but theyre even more fun when you have to fit them at night!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
A good tip is to get yourself one of those head torches so as to leave your hands free and still be able to see what you`re doing!! :wink:

A few times things were that bad that I have fitted them on the back axle of a trailer so as to stop this happening…

The above load, sacks of flour,had to kicked off into the snow and left for the locals as an early xmas present after the trailer lost grip and slid sideways into this field!!! :laughing:

I know ,and to some extent agree, that if things are that bad then park up and wait for a gritter, plough, better weather etc,but sometimes you don’t have any choice, particularly if the area is not a very hospitable neighbourhood!! :laughing: :laughing:

So, does anyone else have any pics or tales relating to those ■■■■ chains or the snow? If so then post em up…its snowing!!! :laughing: :laughing: