Slap Overs and Scanias

Hi Guys,

Couple of questions for you :stuck_out_tongue: The slap over gear box, ive never used one as im still learning but how do you know when you get in a cab if its in low range or high range? Is it slap it one way for high and another for low? Obviously in theory as the truck as been parked up you’d expect it to be in low range but i’d like to know for definate not have to guess surely?

Also Scania’s, do they use the slap over or are they the range change switch?

Thanks Guys!

jas07:
Hi Guys,

Couple of questions for you :stuck_out_tongue: The slap over gear box, ive never used one as im still learning but how do you know when you get in a cab if its in low range or high range? Is it slap it one way for high and another for low? Obviously in theory as the truck as been parked up you’d expect it to be in low range but i’d like to know for definate not have to guess surely?

Also Scania’s, do they use the slap over or are they the range change switch?

Thanks Guys!

Normally low range will be to the left on a double H

However a simple test if it is a range change with a switch.
Turn on the ignition and lift the switch, if it does anything it is a range change.

If it doesnt do anything, press the clutch, if it does something now, that will tell you it is a splitter.

Sometimes the range change will only work as it passes through neutral

As far as I am aware all Scanias have range change, some are 4 over 4, some are 3 over 3 - sometimes they have a splitter as well as a range change switch.

Slap boxes are 4 by 4. The way to make sure it is in low range is to slap it to the left and it will be even if it was before!

Ah ok so we think scanias have the Range Change Switch? I was under the impression that a slap over was the same as a 4 over 4 but instead of a switch you slapped the gear stick across which did exactly the same as the switch? Would that be right or not?

Hi jas07, There’s a sticky at the top of this forum, which you can access by clicking THIS LINK.

I hope it helps, but please post up a question if you need more info…:grimacing:

dieseldave:
Hi jas07, There’s a sticky at the top of this forum, which you can access by clicking THIS LINK.

I hope it helps, but please post up a question if you need more info…:grimacing:

Thanks Dave I did have a read of that but /was under the impression that there was another gearbox which was the Same as the 4 over 4 but just with a Slap over. I believe the Magnum has it?

jas07:

dieseldave:

Thanks Dave I did have a read of that but /was under the impression that there was another gearbox which was the Same as the 4 over 4 but just with a Slap over. I believe the Magnum has it?

Yes jas07, that’s about my memory of it too. :grimacing:

:frowning: Some people get a bit confused by the terminology, so I’ll attempt to clarify…

Both gearbox types are known as ‘range-change’ and usually have 8 speeds. (Both types are shown in the sticky.)
There are two common ‘types’ of range change, either called ‘slapover’ OR 4 over 4.

To clarify still further, the ‘slapover’ and ‘4 over 4’ are just expressions for what is essentially the same thing, ie. a method of switching between two lots of four gears.

A ‘splitter’ (no connection with ‘range-change’ :wink: ) is an additional switch that might be fitted to any type of gearbox to effectively ‘double’ the number of available gears.

The Devil is in the detail, but I hope I’ve helped. :grimacing:

Yer thanks Dave, so that brings back to my original question of if there is a slapper ( :stuck_out_tongue: ) on a 4over4 how do you know if your in low range or high range? Because if its a 4 over 4 then the stick would effectively be in the same position aka not over to one side or the other.

Apologizes if im going on but im just a tad confused, it would probably be obvious if i was in a truck with the slapper mind you! :laughing:

Thanks for sticking with me :stuck_out_tongue:

jas07:
Yer thanks Dave, so that brings back to my original question of if there is a slapper ( :stuck_out_tongue: ) on a 4over4 how do you know if your in low range or high range? Because if its a 4 over 4 then the stick would effectively be in the same position aka not over to one side or the other.

Hi jas07, When you’re dealing with a ‘slapover’ gearbox, there isn’t really a way of knowing which range you’re in unless you’re very familiar with the vehicle, so I’d advise that you ‘test’ by moving the gearstick left and right past the changeover point.
Alternatively, you might try finding reverse, because that’s only in the lower half of the slapover box. :wink:

Now we’ve got the terminology sorted, Wheel Nut’s advice above is good too. :grimacing:

jas07:
Apologizes if im going on but im just a tad confused, it would probably be obvious if i was in a truck with the slapper mind you! :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Most firms’ H&S policy prevents the carrying of slappers. :wink:

jas07:
Thanks for sticking with me :stuck_out_tongue:

No problem mate, it’s the only way to get this type of thing settled in your mind. :grimacing:

With the slapover gearbox ( ZF )

There will normally be a light on the dash board showing if you are in low ( Bottom 4 ( Or High the top 4 )

High is normally shown by a picture of a large gear wheel on the dash board lights ( this may vary between trucks. )

Volvos with 4 over 4 have a hi-lo switch on the front of the gear stem like a duck’s bill.

Two recent Scania rigids I come across had a 4 over 4. The hi-lo switch is on the front of the gear stem and is like the Volvo.

I drove a Scania 3 over 3 and couldn’t find the range change at first. It was an aluminium collar around the base of the knob.

The Ivecos & Hinos that I have driven with a 4 by 4 slap-over had a switch on the front of the gear lever this time for the splitter and not the range. Low range was indicated on the Hino by a light up yellow tortoise on the dash.

DAF 4 over 4 with splitter the switch on the front was the hi-lo (also lit up on the dash which was which) the switch on the right hand side of the stem was the splitter.

Mercedes I sat in for five minutes :unamused: had a 4 by 4 slap-over with splitter.

But best ask someone who shows you the vehicle. The slap-overs (or indeed any gearbox) can be a nightmare in a shagged out old yoke. Certainly in the case of the two Hinos it wasn’t stamped on to of the knob what was what.

If you’re trying to aniticipate what gearbox you’re getting in your training truck don’t stress about it before you’ve seen it, just worrying you don’t need. The instructor will show you what’s what before you go anywhere and that’s all you’ll need.

The best way to know what range your in is to either push the slapover style to the left to make sure it’s on the left (low range) side of the gate and flick the switch down on a rangechange, you just combine this with your initial check that the box is in in neutral before you start the engine. Most trucks in my experience haven’t had a dash light to indiciate what range you’re in, only the scania artics had a light to indicate hi or low split (assuming the bulb works).