Quick Fire Help Needed Please!

I’ve been told today, that tomorrow I’m driving an R reg Scania. Now, I’ve driven an Iveco, an MAN and mostly Renault Premiums and got on ok with them all - the difference being that someone has shown me the way round the gearbox selections. To cut a long story very short, I feel I’m being told to drive this Scania as a bit of stupid ‘revenge’ and there will be noone around (5am) to show me how to use the gear stick (ie where the gears are and how the splitter works and how to go up from 1-4 to 5-8 (assuming thats the numbe of gears!)

Can anyone give me any hints? I know it might be hard as I dont even know the model type, its just a new to us ex-stobart wagon :confused:

tia

Simon

Probably a 124.

Normally a 3 speed box with the Range Change being a circular ring around the gear lever.

Fluid levels, open the front and then the quarter panels also swing outwards. Oil is on the nearside.

thanks krankee, does this mean there are 6 forward gears? sorry 2 sound dense!

fingers crossed for tomorrow!

I’ll say normally, otherwise someone will probably say that there are exceptions, but normally, it is left and back for 1st. (Left and forward for reverse), right and forward for 2nd, right and back for 3rd.

A Splitter, if fitted, is a normal rocker switch.

It only takes 5 mins to get used to it.

Best of luck.

Oh, and washer bottle is on the nearside step.

I’me in a 124 420 Scanny at the mo. Krankee is right. Its got a 12 speed box, same as a ZF 16 but with no 1st gear. (Its also got a crawler gear). The range change is a collar on the stick, down for low range and up for high. The splitter is a rocker on the side, handy for your thumb. Start off in 1st gear, high split. If empty, block change to 3rd then up full gears but give it some extra revs when changing into top or split top gear. If loaded, single full gears then split 2nd and 3rd, high range.

Perhaps if when you get in the cab you look down to your left and on top of the gear stick will be all the positions of the gears,very handy that!

then again it could be auto??

If its 5am and theres no one about just crash the [zb] till it plays the right tune :wink: :open_mouth:

simon

I had one on the job I did yesterday. The gearbox is nice but can’t be hurried. Take it easy and it fall into gear.

SimonRS2K:
If its 5am and theres no one about just crash the [zb] till it plays the right tune :wink: :open_mouth:

simon

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Personally I hate the Scania 4-series manual box. Always seems to bounce on the gears before going in unless you’re heavy handed. Also, give it the slightest amount of beans and the drive axle starts jumping and juddering about like a [zb] even IN THE DRY! If you try and change across the range quickly it always leaves you in no-mans land too. And for sweaty people like me :laughing: the seat material does nothing at all for the top of your legs, bum and back keeping aired.

However, on the good side, your can put that steering wheel wherever you want and unless it’s been pranged, the steering sensitivity is fairly good although not as good as the quick-racked FH/FM series or DAF).

Be ready for the seat randomly dumping a squirt of air out and dropping you an inch just when you’re not expecting it and if you want a peaceful nights’ sleep don’t take it in a Scania coz the suspension moans, groans, squeaks, grinds all night (yep, that was the SUSPENSION :sunglasses: ) and keeps you awake (and that’s with only you in the cab too :laughing: )

Finally, unless you’re lucky enough to get a T-cab (bonnet) then bring yourself a large step-ladder in order to climb the 13ft engine mound in the middle of the cab :laughing: Also will come to be great use when trying to get to your bed if you happen to get a Topline too! :laughing:

Do let us know how you get on :smiling_imp:

hello all

Scania Report

1. door lock frozen - take 15 mins to unlock
  2. turn heater on
  3. back under trailer, do airlines etc set off
  4. think cripes its cold in here
  5. realise seat isn’t boinging up and down
  6. remember seat belt - oh it wont pull out of the retractor
  7. hands are blue now
    :sunglasses: collect container ring back to office to tell em wagons coming back in

the gearbox was easy to use though, even though it did ‘suspend’ and caught me out twice when changing enthusiastically the range change…

Oh, and I realised after lookin at the tacho this evening after swapping wagons that the run in the Scania hadn’t marked on the tacho :s

Can’t you people read the instructions on a gear box ?

I always check in a strange vehicle, it is so embarassing to ask someone “How do I change gear?”

PS ;- if it’s a 3 speedwith a range change, The lever collar will also twist to give you 12 speeds.