Gearbox Type

hi,

might have a driving assessment at some point soon for tippers. Passed my test a couple of weeks ago in a Scania 4 over 4. The company has lots of different trucks (scanias, dafs, volvos and hinos).

think the daf has a 4 over 4, but not sure about the volvo and the hino? have they got 4 beside 4. Sorry if this is not the right terminology.

any thought/suggestions appreciated.

have a look at this thread,

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24700

cheers mekong

going to england early with work tomorrow so will have a good look through this when I get back.

looks good though, thanks :smiley:

The Hino will most likely have the “slap over” plus a split on each gear. The company I work for had a 6-wheeler (tipper) on demo and this is what it had.

Dead easy - and nothing to worry about.

I am going for my assessment tomorrow. Got a feeling it is going to be in the hino as they asked me to bring my digital card.

Sir LANs-a-lot mentioned above that he had driven one and it was a slap over box with a switch on each gear.

Does this mean that you’ve got 16 gears or am I just being silly?

If it has got 16 gears do you run 1-8 in the low box and flip the switch to get 9-16, or am I reading too much into it.

Any advice/suggestions appreciated.

Have a look at the gears post by clicking on the link in my signature and scroll down a bit. Dieseldave has put a pic in of a ‘slapbox’ :smiley:

it shows 8 gears but is either the 4 on the left or the 4 on the right depending on which side of the box has been slapped into.
If the box also had a ‘splitter’ switch, then each of those gears will have it’s own high & low setting.
You could go - 1 low, 1 high, 2 low, 2 high etc but most of the time you may be able to stay in the same high or low setting and go 1 high, 2 high, 3 high etc.
You may also find that the truck will set off in 3 high for example then go to 5 high. It depends whether it is loaded or empty, on a gradient or how the gears are torqued.

Start in a very low gear GENTLY and find out - have a play with it.

Cheers Rog

Yes had a look at diesel dave’s link before - it’s good.

When I learned to drive it was in a 4 over 4 scania, so never worked a slap over box before, hopefully I’ll manage to pick this up tomorrow, would another way to work it be to forget about the left side of the box, say run it 5 low, then 7 low flip the switch 5 high, then 6 high etc. Obviously depending on what was loaded, it’s going to be a tipper so it might be quite heavy if loaded.

thanks in advance.

kiw:
Cheers Rog

Yes had a look at diesel dave’s link before - it’s good.

When I learned to drive it was in a 4 over 4 scania, so never worked a slap over box before, hopefully I’ll manage to pick this up tomorrow, would another way to work it be to forget about the left side of the box, say run it 5 low, then 7 low flip the switch 5 high, then 6 high etc. Obviously depending on what was loaded, it’s going to be a tipper so it might be quite heavy if loaded.

thanks in advance.

You have not quite got it :unamused:

Imagine your 4 over 4 range change box but with an extra switch that would SPLIT each of the gears. The gear are done in the usual number sequence 1, 2, 3, 4,SWITCH 5, ,6 , 7, 8 but if usuing the splitter switch as well. it would be low1, splitter swich, high1, into gear 2 & splitter switch low2, splitter switch high2 into gear3 & splitter switch low3 splitter switch high3 into gear 4 & splitter switch low4 splitter switch high4 splitter switch & range change inti gear 5 = low5 splitter switch high5 etc

Note for self - do this better :unamused: and add into the gearbox thread :slight_smile:

just say to the guy that youve never used that type of box before and ask him to show you, i am sure he will and when you see him doing it you will understand it, it sounds complicated written down but it is a good box to use.
it better to ask than make a show of yourself. :bulb:

Hi Rog,

The penny has dropped - you’ll be glad to hear! Yes, understand now what you mean, could not quite picture it before, but I get it now :blush:

Glad you’ve explained this, as it saves me looking like a fool tomorrow, better to look like a fool on trucknetuk.com rather than on the city bypass!

Cheers, thanks for the advice, will let you know how it goes.

mekong:
just say to the guy that youve never used that type of box before and ask him to show you, i am sure he will and when you see him doing it you will understand it, it sounds complicated written down but it is a good box to use.
it better to ask than make a show of yourself. :bulb:

Thanks mekong :smiley: - I should have remembered to say that :blush: :blush: :blush:

How to learn something new - ASK :slight_smile:

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your help over the last wee while. Went out this morning and it was a Hino tipper with the 16 gears. I was the passenger for the first run there and back which was just local, then I did the same run back unloaded and sat in the passenger seat on the way back loaded, then we did the exact same run again. Spent a lot of the morning sitting about waiting to get tipped as they had to keep flattening the ballast we were tipping and there were 4 lorries on the job.

Having all your hints/advice about the gearbox was really helpful, was mainly in the low box 5-8, then 8 high on dual carriageway. Got third instead of fifth at one point which wasn’t really a big problem as we were pretty much stopped at a roundabout, once I realised it springs back to between 5 and 6 it made it a bit easier.

If anything the brakes got me more than the gearbox, as they were a lot better than the old Scania truck I learned in, also the indicators are on the other side of the steering wheel to my car and the scania, and the retarder is where my indicators are in the car which meant I knocked that off once or twice at the start when going for indicators.

All in all seemed to go quite well, the other driver was really nice and really helpful, I think I might get out for another couple of runs and will try driving the truck loaded.

thanks again guys for all your help :smiley: