Should I stay or should I go? - UPDATE

OK here’s the deal

I’m currently employed by a small plant hire firm, like most companies we’re finding work thin on the ground. There’s three drivers (2 at over 25 years service plus me with just under 2)

The yard is 7 miles from home, the job’s my own and the pay is fairly good. It’s a good little number and I’d do well to better it.

At the moment I’ve subbed myself to a national plant hire firm driving their wagon on a temporary basis, until they fill their vacancy. I’m still on original pay etc but outsourced.

I’m now doing a 45 mile round trip to work, the work is predominantly inside the M25, most of that within the NCR including a fair bit of central London.

If I were to try for the national company I’d be about as secure as I could be in this line of work but I’d be dropping 60p an hour and increasing my commute to work. There would be a reasonable amount of overtime but a good week there would not pay as well as a good week now (although they are quite rare now)

So I’m left wondering whether to stay put with my current employer and go back to my local job which possibly may be short lived or to take a bit more agg, more time and a fairly constant wage.

Any thoughts?

Sorry but, The grass is very rarely greener and almost certainly its better the devil you know. Money don’t buy happiness but it does take the sting out of being miserable. If you are happy where you are, sit it out. I hope this helps 8 wheels, good luck.

building trade in a very very bad way . but a job you like and is that close to home is very difficult to leave, i’d have a sit down with manager and ask what he thinks the futre holds as you are worried about your job. you should be able to gauge by is reaction what the truth will be. if it was me id try everything to hold on to a job you like, cause there hard to come by.

Just to clarify.

My concern is that there is a good chance sooner or later my current employer will decide to cut back to 2 vehicles. Who goes, who knows.

I’ve a young family and potentially 30 years work left in me, but will cost nothing to get rid of.

The other two have got just a few years left to work but will cost money to get rid of.

At the moment I’m getting the best of both, paid from doorstep to doorstep and racking up overtime at a good rate of pay and a company van and fuel to boot. This will stop when a full timer is appointed by the national, I will then go back to my company probably on a basic week and end up scratching about for work.

If I were to change sides, I’d be in a secure position (and I’m confident of that) earning a little more than a basic week at the other place but with a fair bit more effort involved.

its hard when youve got a family to think of. but at end of day i suppose youve got to pick whats most secure.

oh and a company i used to work for laid off the driver with a few years to go he had been thr 15 years but kept on the guy with the young family that had been there a year, id have word with manager tell him your concerns,

Have you spoken to the two lads you work with? One of them might be ready to put his feet up? If nothing doing there and you’re confident about the other job lasting like you say then it’s a no brainer. Have a word with your manager as well he MIGHT know more about the situation that will help you decide. Speak to him before you speak to the other lads.

As has been said, you obviously have a good company there. Sit down and have a chat with your manager and go through your thoughts with him.
He’d have to be a pretty unspeakable beggar to lie to your face like that.

Give him a chance, if he seems unsure or puts any more doubts in your mind then go, job security is what we all need now.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Alex

8 Wheels,

This hassle isnt what you need is it mate?

like has been said can you not have a word with your manager and see where the land lies on his side of the fence but also edge your bets with the other company and try to suggest to them that while you are working for them you are saving them money and do they really need another permenant worker on thier books, as you have proved yourself as a good worker and you would be able to give them notice of the work picking up at your permenant job therefore reducing thier holiday pay, pensions and all that ( as you are effectively employed by your permenant boss). you might have to pay a bit more for travel but at least you need to travel to a jo, better than no job at all.

good luck in what ever you decide mate.

Ps. where’s the blogs lately?

In this day & age you need stability, and if the lesser paid job works out better for the long run for you & family then id go with that… Im the same as yourself, have young family etc… I could go work for an irishman and earn £100+ more a week working my nuts off and never home apart from maybe a sat then away sunday again and never getting to see my wee boy, instead I chose a job, which involves some tramping, usually week on/off with another guy so home every 2nd week…

End of day its up to you, but with way things are going stability for you and family is what ad choose…

I’m going to talk to my boss tomorrow and see what transpires.

The best scenario would be for me to stay on contract but that is not likely to happen, there are apparently many people chasing the job such is the shortage of decent work.

One of my two colleagues has made it clear that he would take redundancy if it comes to that. To pay him off will cost thousands.

The other driver will happily vacate his seat and switch to become a machine operator, therefore solving this issue. However if he switches, that will displace one of the operators. The work situation for the operators is very bleak and I’m not sure if there are any that are dead wood or cheap to remove.

Either way keeping me in employment there will cost them money, on the plus side I do whatever I’m asked, am flexible and possibly earn less than the others.

I’d rather stay put, but am prepared to accept that this may not be viable. Hopefully I’ll know more tomorrow.

As for the blog, it didn’t seem worth bothering with when work was so sparse and I’ve just not found the time with this new lark.

Thank you for the input.

I’ve just spoke to my boss, he has assured me that should a reduction in fleet be necessary the likely option will be that the other rigid driver will transfer to being a machine operator.

As far as I’m concerned this is the best option. It’s a weight off my shoulders at least.

good news then . bet your glad u never jumped then

8wheels:
Just to clarify.

My concern is that there is a good chance sooner or later my current employer will decide to cut back to 2 vehicles. Who goes, who knows.

I’ve a young family and potentially 30 years work left in me, but will cost nothing to get rid of.

The other two have got just a few years left to work but will cost money to get rid of.

At the moment I’m getting the best of both, paid from doorstep to doorstep and racking up overtime at a good rate of pay and a company van and fuel to boot. This will stop when a full timer is appointed by the national, I will then go back to my company probably on a basic week and end up scratching about for work.

If I were to change sides, I’d be in a secure position (and I’m confident of that) earning a little more than a basic week at the other place but with a fair bit more effort involved.

if they only have a bit of time left they may talk them into early retirement.but all the best whatever you decide :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: