Should I stay or should I go?

Been offered a job but I’m unsure whether I’d be best staying where I despite it being more money.#

I like my current job most of the time but as I’m always pulling a flatbed I’m sometimes subjected to the wind, rain, snow etc and sheeting and unsheeting steel can be a pain in the arse at times which makes me think that maybe it’d be easier elsewhere.

I’ve been offered a role which is 50p an hour more and they also have other incentives like fuel bonus and meal allowance which would probably see me around £35-£50 up per week. However my current job is only 7 miles away from home where i’d have a 25 mile commute to the new job. I’m also fairly settled in my current job, they get me back home when I want to be, I work the weekends that I want to work, I’m generally among the 1st in line for new vehicles etc, none of which sound like huge “perks” but they do contribute to a better work and home lifestyle.

I’m unsure as to whether the new company would be quite as flexible as my current employer and I’m debating whether its worth the extra cash or not. Also the pay is every 4 weeks compared to my weekly pay that I’m used to so I’ll have to go 4 weeks without pay which means dipping in my savings which isn’t ideal as I get married in May.

How do I stand where the up and coming Bank holiday weekend too? I’d be leaving my current role on Good Friday but my potential new employer want to take me on the Tuesday after the Bank Holiday Monday so that’d leave me unemployed that Monday meaning I lose out on a days holiday that I’ve earnt. Or am I wrong?

It’d no doubt be a cleaner, less physical and better paid job but I know exactly where I stand in my current job.

Any advice appreciated.

If I don’t know what to do I’d always do nothing and in your case I’d stay put. Being near home is worth it, a 25 mile commute isn’t the end of the earth it’s too far.
Your job has good and bad, the new one almost certainly will have too. So I vote to stay.

^ +1.
Grass is not always greener. The extra money you make will go a bit more fuel.

Ask for a rise to meet the offer and stay where you are sounds like a better solution all round… :bulb:

TBH its not the sort of improvement that is one of those rip his arm off moments, if there was a couple hundred quid a week for the same hours…or 20 hours a week less on average and still a pay increase, then it would be a simple yes.

I wouldn’t get too hung up on the loss of bank hol pay if the offered job was a dead mans shoes one where your mates won’t speak to you for 6 months through envy, but again with the minor increase it might take you 6 months to make the shortfall up, plus you’re going to have a much longer commute with not only cost but your unpaid time.
Then if it was dead mans shoes offer you wouldn’t be asking us… :sunglasses:
Summer coming so your flat work is coming into its own.

One final point, if, and presumably you are, on the lookout to better yourself substantially then it’s another job on the application form and dead mens shoes employers tend to like people likely to stay for ever, and don’t like too many previous employers.

Those are the thoughts of a doddering old sod, so should be taken in context… :smiling_imp:

Sounds like you have talked your self out of it anyway :smiley:
If your having doubts I’d stay put,if you hated your present job then it would be different

Is it night out work or back everyday,this for me would be the main factor as adding 36 miles a day to your commute would be a massive draw back for me but if you night out then it’s not so bad if it’s a couple of times a week,Money wise depending on the above will decide whether you are better off financially or not too to the extent that it’s worth doing.

One thing to consider is if the new place is a stable place to work as I’m sure you know if they need to get rid of people due to a downturn in work you will most likely be the first out the door during the first year or so then you may overtake those with the wrong attitude,poor attendance records ect should the need to reduce staff numbers arise.

Actual physical work wise,the better you look after your body the longer (in theory) it will last so going to a lesser labour intensive job would be massively beneficial to your health and well being so why pass that up providing all the above is favourable too?!

Naturally most people are scared of leaving something they have become accustomed too and rightly so but you may live to regret it in the long term and some point you/we need to be brave and take a chance.

As for the 4 weekly pay thing you would get a week in hand back + any holiday owed from your employer so that only leaves 3 weeks which may take a bit of your savings away but it’s just a case of tighten the ■■■■■ strings for that 3 weeks and after that you’ll be back to normal or even better if financially.

Personally I’d go for it,or as mentioned tell your current employer you are leaving and see what they say…my wife got a new job,handed her current boss her notice and after a meeting with the MD of the company got a £1ph pay rise which doubled what she would of got extra by leaving so you never know…

Cheers for the replies. It does sound as though I’ve talked myself out of it but it’s a tough one because i do like the fact I’m 15 minutes away from home despite the job being quite ■■■■ in poor weather conditions. I’m also a season ticket holder and love going to the football so It’d really get on my nerves missing games because a planner has refused to help me out midweek now and again. The weekend games aren’t a problem at my current employer as if I’m down to do 6th shift I can choose either a Saturday or a Sunday which help me with regards the football (or don’t do a 6th shift if I want). The new employer only tend to want you for a 6th shift on a Saturday and it also stipulates on the vacancy advertisement that you will be required to work a 6th shift every other week which could mess me up from a football perspective.

But the new job does sound a lot easier and it’s better paid.

I’ll definitely take Juddians advice on asking for more money at my current workplace. :smiley:

xichrisxi:
Is it night out work or back everyday,this for me would be the main factor as adding 36 miles a day to your commute would be a massive draw back for me but if you night out then it’s not so bad if it’s a couple of times a week,Money wise depending on the above will decide whether you are better off financially or not too to the extent that it’s worth doing.

One thing to consider is if the new place is a stable place to work as I’m sure you know if they need to get rid of people due to a downturn in work you will most likely be the first out the door during the first year or so then you may overtake those with the wrong attitude,poor attendance records ect should the need to reduce staff numbers arise.

Actual physical work wise,the better you look after your body the longer (in theory) it will last so going to a lesser labour intensive job would be massively beneficial to your health and well being so why pass that up providing all the above is favourable too?!

Naturally most people are scared of leaving something they have become accustomed too and rightly so but you may live to regret it in the long term and some point you/we need to be brave and take a chance.

As for the 4 weekly pay thing you would get a week in hand back + any holiday owed from your employer so that only leaves 3 weeks which may take a bit of your savings away but it’s just a case of tighten the ■■■■■ strings for that 3 weeks and after that you’ll be back to normal or even better if financially.

Personally I’d go for it,or as mentioned tell your current employer you are leaving and see what they say…my wife got a new job,handed her current boss her notice and after a meeting with the MD of the company got a £1ph pay rise which doubled what she would of got extra by leaving so you never know…

It’d be tramping mate so most weeks it’s be 1 drive there and 1 home. They do also have a depot that’s 10 miles from my house but there’s no vacancies there at the moment. I’d maybe get in that depot after a few months, but not guarantteed.

It’s not as said a rip your arm off job offer but the company do look decent and are a bigger outfit than my current one.

Also I’ll never know unless I have a go elsewhere as to whether the grass is greener and whether all the little things that matter to me in my current job won’t be there in the new one.

Really sorry for going on, the decision should be fairly simple but it’s not for some reason.

depends on your outlook for me, I would say if I had A, gone to the bother of applying and interview etc. then the chances are I want out of where I am. B, if its more money it will help and C, sheeting was a ball ache at best in the dry.

as others have said if its just the money speak to your current employer, if its more than that you probably know the answer deep down already.

Stay put and negotiate a pay rise, even if your boss splits the difference it’s still an improvement!!!

The fact you are only 7miles away from your current job is a massive plus in my eyes and I would love to be only 7miles away!!

Current job doesn’t sound bad so again another reason to stay put!!

As already mentioned weather is picking up or seems to be so no howling weather to deal with, just rather sweaty when the temp rises!!

I left a job I hated for my current job for less money too.
I’ve since been offered employment elsewhere for more money etc,but I’m happy where I am,don’t want to leave and be in a job I hate again,

I always taught my kids that if you have to think twice about something, don’t do it!

Summer is on the way so sheeting etc will be easier and more time to find the golden egg job.

I roped and sheeted far too long so understand your dilemma. Stay where you are for now I would say.

Just remember,the grass is always greener on other side of fence, sounds like its fair to good were you are,I have been in that position,glad I stayed put, turns out other job you was a number on the sheet,
Also little and often is better than all or nothing,
Good luck what ever

Hmm, this indecision’s buggin’ me :wink:

WHEN and WHY did you apply for the other job in the first place??

Was it ages ago, and it’s only now they’re asking for you?? That would have warning bells ringing for me - can’t keep staff, and always have a ‘list’ of next applicants.

This new job, will it be affected by the economy, this euro in/out thing in the future - i.e. how secure is your job at the moment. and for how long because of what I’ve just said??

And as for ‘the grass is ALWAYS greener…’■■? Yeah right… :unamused:

Tbh I know it’s 1 of many considerations but travel time to work is a big thing for me it takes me 5 mins to get to work and if its a 9hr reduced rest it makes a difference,but if your questioning the jump to move jobs it’s a no from me it sounds like you think it’s not right already.
Yes more money is a draw but it’s the help to get back and being able to choose weekend work is worth more than money and less stress,yes more money is good but it won’t seem worth it when you miss the football and getting the " the last job would have done that for me".

Put myself in your shoes and re-read the post and decided I would stay where I was.

Stick, don’t twist

I have been offered a new job which I am taking the money is much better travel distance is about the same but the hours are much better a lot less in fact there are other benefits as well

I have in the past taking a job then regretted it it was more money but a lot more hours it was not as said on the tin lasted 3 mth until something that suited me better came along so no grass not always greener you have to look at the whole picture all th e benefits as well as the money but will the extra 50p be worth it as you need a work / life balance which your current employer gives you will the new one :question:

Write down the advantages / disadvantages to both then make the decision

As Animal said,
Money should be 1 consideration not the only 1,hours benefits perks distance are all more important,earning more at a cost to home/life balance work stress and physical demands aren’t worth it any day of the week.

Jeff.

RACHACE:
Been offered a job but I’m unsure whether I’d be best staying where I despite it being more money.#

I like my current job most of the time but as I’m always pulling a flatbed I’m sometimes subjected to the wind, rain, snow etc and sheeting and unsheeting steel can be a pain in the arse at times which makes me think that maybe it’d be easier elsewhere.

I’ve been offered a role which is 50p an hour more and they also have other incentives like fuel bonus and meal allowance which would probably see me around £35-£50 up per week. However my current job is only 7 miles away from home where i’d have a 25 mile commute to the new job. I’m also fairly settled in my current job, they get me back home when I want to be, I work the weekends that I want to work, I’m generally among the 1st in line for new vehicles etc, none of which sound like huge “perks” but they do contribute to a better work and home lifestyle.

I’m unsure as to whether the new company would be quite as flexible as my current employer and I’m debating whether its worth the extra cash or not. Also the pay is every 4 weeks compared to my weekly pay that I’m used to so I’ll have to go 4 weeks without pay which means dipping in my savings which isn’t ideal as I get married in May.

How do I stand where the up and coming Bank holiday weekend too? I’d be leaving my current role on Good Friday but my potential new employer want to take me on the Tuesday after the Bank Holiday Monday so that’d leave me unemployed that Monday meaning I lose out on a days holiday that I’ve earnt. Or am I wrong?

It’d no doubt be a cleaner, less physical and better paid job but I know exactly where I stand in my current job.

Any advice appreciated.

I reckon, if you sent that to Take a break,you would win a prize for “letter of the month” :sunglasses: