Should i stay or should i go now?

Well the food industry is cut throat and we are losing a couple of major contracts to rival outfits in next couple of months, talk is doom and gloom on warehouse floor, but management say there are new things in the pipeline, take that with a pinch of salt!! Question is, been here five years now, nice easy night trunk, just got new wagon on friday normally in bed by 3am. result i know you’ll all say :laughing:

Now as im now living on my own mortgage etc, im worried if it all goes ■■■■ up in a few months ill be struggling to find work, agencies unreliable, so do i look and take something now, seen a few local jobs advertised and sent off CV although dont know what pay & conditions are like, or do i stay where i am and hope we dont hit the iceberg!! :confused:
As i said job is a pice of cake!!

Heard that our rivals are all struggling too, 3663, Brakes!!

a bird in the hand…

If you leave now you risk losing out on 5 years worth of redundancy payments. If you like the job, stay put. Come April the agencies will be needing more drivers.

Conor:
If you leave now you risk losing out on 5 years worth of redundancy payments. If you like the job, stay put. Come April the agencies will be needing more drivers.

+1

Conor:

Why April?

Contracts come and go. If it was me I’d hang on unless something juicy came up.

Conor:
If you leave now you risk losing out on 5 years worth of redundancy payments.

Did that myself a few years ago and missed out on £12k. :frowning:

Ken.

thelorryist:

Conor:

Why April?

New tax year, new budgets ect., then youve got easter, which is early this year, then another bank holiday, then the queens diamond pi$$ up in June, then the olympics, its never ending this year :open_mouth:

Fill your boots :bulb:

I would stay put, enjoy your new shiney toy .The firm might not go down but if it does you get redundancy which might be more than the minimum.Trade picks up in the Spring so agencies or the new crowd who take over your present work site could make you an offer.

Governor!:

You’ve answered your own question.

Stan

Governor!:
Well the food industry is cut throat and we are losing a couple of major contracts. been here five years now, nice easy night trunk, just got new wagon on friday normally in bed by 3am. result i know you’ll all say :laughing:

:confused:
As i said job is a pice of cake!!

I work in the same sector.
Firstly i’d say that even though your crowd are losing a couple of contracts,there’s always something else around the corner that’ll fill the gap.
Secondly,if things do get bad,surely the daytime delivery drivers will be the first to suffer.Consolidating rounds because of fewer drops will put these jobs in jeopardy whereas the night trunk will still have to run,even if the rtrailer’s not as full as it used to be.
Thirdly,the grass is always greener on the other side until you get there.

thelorryist:

Conor:

Why April?

Easter. Thats when people start taking holidays and when the demand increases for agencies providing holiday cover. Typically the busy times are around end of March to September then end of October up to Xmas week.

Once you’ve done a couple of years on agency you recognise this pattern and learn to work your arse off in the busy periods banking as much money as possible so you can sit at home from January to March doing the odd day, claiming JSA when there isn’t anything and not panicking for money.