shirt and tie

looking at my uniform options its A POLO SHIRT
B SHIRT

but if you take option B you must wear a TIE with the shirt
is there many firms out there that insist on a tie with a shirt these days, most i see have polo shirts , years ago maybe , but these days . :question:
wouldnt be a bad idea though as theres some scruffy zb about [ wash would be a start] :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

H&S says “NO” to ties when working on car transporters…too many moving bits for it to get stuck in! :smiley: For general workwear, polo shirts are miles more comfy and practical IMHO and you can still look smart in a polo shirt, all you have to do is wear a clean one every day! :sunglasses:

knew of a few years ago but even then ties were for yard use only

i personly havent worn a tie or uniform since i left high scool and have no intention whatsoever the only part of our uniform ive actually got is a coat i’d rather wear my own stuff

It was a standing joke with Stobarts for many years of course; I believe they’ve dropped it now and their drivers wear polo shirts.

Back in the late 80’s when I was working for Rainbows of Southwell (now part of Nightfreight) we had one or two drivers who always wore a collar and tie. Not something you see these days; personally I prefer polo shirts since I’m of the “old school” who was brought up to believe that if you wear a tie you wear it properly (ie top button done up and the knot at the collar not halfway down the shirt) or not at all.

Still think schoolkids who try to be trendy by wearing ties at “half-mast” and shirts hanging out just end up looking scruffy.

samworths brothers insist on drivers having a shirt and tie and as i have done a bit of work for them i now carry one in my van as i would probably forget . the first time i got a call i went all tarted up and there wasnt a issue but the second time i was already working when they rang me and i only had a polo shirt on and was not going home to change . so when i went into the traffic office it was picked up straight away as i told one of the tms why i had no collar and tie a woman said that the uniform was to keep up the company profile . i said fine i have come here within 2 hours of you ringing me and questioned if they wanted me to do the job or not . the woman muttered that the company had high standards to maintain . to which i replied maybe your drivers should stop running people down then . the keys paperwork and severn tag were handed over and niether i nor them said another word . when i got back the night staff had heard about my attitude and made light of it all and said if you want a easy life only do nights .

The companty that I drive for Robert Wiseman Dairies only got rid of the shirt and tie about 18 months ago in our Scottish Depots.

I didn’t mind shirt and tie having worn a uniform all thru me school days and in the RAF so it was not a problem. I did prefer a short sleeve shirt and no tie in the summer months though.

We now wear black polo shirts and trousers. They look great and are comfortable to wear.

For all the stinkys they do show up every bit of dirt so clean kit everyday which has been introduced to an iron is necessary

Jacko :smiley: :smiley:

Don’t have a problem with it, if I was asked to wear one I would, but certainly not a tie around forkies or when handballing - just not really appropriate and could be dangerous.

Polo shirt I have no problem with either. I really don’t see how anyone who turns up covered in dirt, in trousers they’ve obviously worn all week, and a High Viz jacket so covered in crap its entirely useless for its intended purpose, can call themselves professionals.

But if they don’t care about how they look then thats up to them, Its their choice, and I make my own.

Alex

The bosses try and make me wear S&T for my job but it seems to put off trainees- a far more relaxed atmosphere is in the cab when I dress down and wear a polo shirt or similar.

Haven’t worn a tie for over 25 years and have no intention of doing so for any reason, least of all for work.

When I used to drive for Hays we wore them. i never had a problem with it and thought it looked kinda smart :sunglasses:

I have to agree that if all drivers at one company wore them it would certainly spruce up a few mingers :wink: . The state of some drivers I ve seen, they wouldn’t even get a job on the bins!!

Makes you wonder what there homes look like :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

ROG:
The bosses try and make me wear S&T for my job but it seems to put off trainees- a far more relaxed atmosphere is in the cab when I dress down and wear a polo shirt or similar.

polo shirt is dressing up, not down :wink:

ady1:
theres some scruffy zb about [ wash would be a start] :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

That will be me :stuck_out_tongue:

I wash, but my general apperance is scuffy, i rarely shave and i wear really old scruffy clothes to work, that are generally covered in grease from changing several trailers everyday and having to climb in and outta of the back of trailers and unloading them.

One place i worked made a comment once about my apprance i said no probs then you buy me some decent clothes or a uniform. I aint going to be wearing decent clothes to get wrecked by your manicy air lines and manicy trailers.

i dont dress smart either to many wet days and dirty tyres to change.

I used to have to wear one when we were Exel, pre-DHL take-over.

It didn’t worry me. The job was easy and clean. Exel supplied the uniform, and I have to say it did look smart.

I think more people notice a well turned-out driver over a well turned-out vehicle.

ive been with dhl international for 7 years, i started before the german post office bought dhl, then they got securicor omega,danzaz,exel,and never had to wear a tie upto a few months back, now they are saying we have to wear the shirt and tie to tell us apart from the domestic lads/ its winter uniform and polo shirts in the summer

wheres the logic in having their international drivers wearing shirt and tie just to tell them apart from the local drivers? who exactly needs to be telling them apart?

this is all madness, if im going for a long trip, its wife beaters and shorts, if im local its the company hi-vis polo shirt and work trousers.

gnasty gnome:
It was a standing joke with Stobarts for many years of course; I believe they’ve dropped it now and their drivers wear polo shirt

I Saw one the other day in that looked like a BAD Darts players shirt. :open_mouth:

Looked ■■■■■■■ awful and Im no fashion Icon.

ady1:
looking at my uniform options its A POLO SHIRT
B SHIRT

but if you take option B you must wear a TIE with the shirt

Never never never never never never never never … never

Stan

I have always hated ties, don’t like my neck restricted, but had to don the convention when I became a TM for Courtaulds in '85. Later the Japs (Toray) bought our company out and, although their executives conformed, I heard on the grapevine that they didn’t really approve of ties on H&S grounds. I didn’t need telling twice and never wore one from that day on except for weddings and funerals, and for that I have retained just one in my wardrobe which is dark blue and does for both. :unamused: :laughing:

There are a couple of customers I wear a tie for - clip-on type so no H&S problems - & I do it simply because it means they remember me.