Opinions wanted on driver uniforms

Might seem like a strange request this one, but as drivers what are you expected to wear for work?
I am writing a piece for Truck & Driver about drivers’ attitudes to their work clothes.

What do you wear? Are polo shirts with company logos becoming more popular? Why?
What do you think about having to wear your particular uniform - whether it’s some sort of polo shirt with logo or a shirt and tie?
Do you think wearing a uniform makes an impression on customers, or not?

I would be interested in your comments on this subject. Please note that your feedback could be used in the article.
Thank you very much.
Chris

The last 2 jobs I had (covers last 8 years) I was supplied with polo shirts, trousers, fleece, boots. Prior to that never had any kit issued. Always better to use company gear than you’re own if its available. I’ll never have to buy boots for the rest of my life :wink: and still have a good supply of polo shirts.

Tiger.

without a doubt Eddies tie policy dragged haulage up from the gutter
(ok only to the kerb)
if they provide it i will where it
i dont do corporate but companies do. branding is all

havent got a problem with uniforms
saves you wearing out your own clothes

but at my current employer our uniforms are a bit cheap and nasty they supply shirts and trousers the trousers are all right but the shirts are a different story they seem to lose their poppers with alarming regularity been there 7months and been through about 15 shirts already and need to get another couple

We have sweatshirts,polo shirts and workwear trousers and safety shoes. I think its good to have a uniform as it shows a company looks after its staff and reputation/image (thats my PO not saying if they dont have uniform etc they dont care)

Also if it gets damaged you just get issued with new and dont have to keep forking out of your own pocket for some, and the clothing is also best suitable for the job in hand.

James
:smiley:

I personally prefer wearing my own clothes.

Polo shirts,combat trousers,fleece,jumper,boots,hi viz,hi viz jacket,all branded and in “im a lorry driver blue”
generally if there is something we need we have a moan for a couple of days and its there on the next clothing delivery.
Personally i like some sort of uniform, it makes it harder for the boss to pick out the driver that ballsed up this week if we are all wearing the same!

even as an owner driver i have a uniform made up of polo’s/sweats/fleeces/hi-viz(printed logo’s),but stop at that,you can’t beat a clean,comfy pair of your fav brand of jeans.

I was wearing shorts and a cut-down T-shirt last week.

i always wear uniform ok its only polo shirt and hi-viz, and good pair of clean jeans. :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:
i am sorry my pet hate is guys that wear cut off / 3/4 length trousers and old jogging bottoms i just don’t think it looks professional. and apart from that i think it could be dangerous, no protection to their legs. now i will standby for the flake :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

peteandbrenda:
now i will standby for the flake :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

mmmm…cadbury’s flake…i’ll have a flake also please.

You wanna borrow the trucknet flake jacket■■? :wink: :laughing: :smiley: :exclamation:

Agencies want it all ways: ‘…Smart, no jeans…’ they demand - but jerk many around when they ‘try to get’ what’s apparently approved of.

Truckwriter, please be aware that many agency are clothed at their own expense …which includes paying VAT on the Health & Safety clobber with their tax-paid (and getting worse?) wage.

Harry Monk:
I was wearing shorts and a cut-down T-shirt last week.

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing:

Going by your avtar Harry i bet that was sight to see!!! :open_mouth: :laughing:

we get polo shirt’s, sweat shirts and trousers provided which i always wear because it prevents damaging my own clothing

pecjam23:

peteandbrenda:
now i will standby for the flake :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

mmmm…cadbury’s flake…i’ll have a flake also please.

You wanna borrow the trucknet flake jacket■■? :wink: :laughing: :smiley: :exclamation:

brain not engaged today cant spell at the best of times :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Like Harry said, I used to prefer my own clothes.

Shorts and Tshirt / vests / ■■■■■■■ in summer.

Jogging bottoms and Tshirt / sweatshirt in winter.

Boiler suit for stripping tilts, doing sheets etc.

I felt that by wearing a uniform it took away your personal identity and you were just a corporate bod!! The few companies I did work for who supplied a uniform never seem to put much thought into its comfort, for example when having to sit down and drive for long periods wearing a pair of cotton / nylon trousers that are a bit to tight around the crutch! :open_mouth:

Also the colour schemes that you see now adys leave abit to be desired!! DHL for one :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing:

when i worked for comet on 7.5t home delivery,they got re branded to take away the mix up of currys/comet and they went black vans,black uniform.bearing in mind that we used to deliver in the dark t customers houses etc and they provided us with no hi viz!!!so we were having to work on and around busy main roads in the dark in black clothing!!!it wasnt until the HSE came in and they nearly passed out when they realised that we were wearing the same stuff as the office staff.obviously a decision that came from a pen pushing,computer tapping work shy clueless gimp…but that sums up comet in general.my opinion is im all for uniform(being ex army i would say that).it provides a statement of proffesionalism,and im i think that drivers should have some input on what they have as they are the people that have to wear it.

bullitt:
Also the colour schemes that you see now adys leave abit to be desired!! DHL for one :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing:

Yes, it’s a bit “Teletubby-ish”, that one.

Norbert Dentressangle red polo and trousers. Must be fun keeping the oil and grease marks of them I bet. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

andy bilton:
even as an owner driver i have a uniform made up of polo’s/sweats/fleeces/hi-viz(printed logo’s),but stop at that,you can’t beat a clean,comfy pair of your fav brand of jeans.

except for the high viz, that’s what I do :wink:

all black to match the truck :open_mouth: