Scania's

I have only ever driven a MAN tga mid cab,and apart from the lack of space inside I love it.I asked for a bigger truck and have been given an 04 scania,which I have yet to drive until Monday
I went for an assesment with a RIVAL company this morning and I drove a Scanny for the first time albeit not too far.The first thing I didnt like about it was the mirrors(small and lack of an electric motor behind them) and the old style tacho. :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
Now,everybody seems to rate Scannys as fantastic,so Iā€™d like to know the proā€™s and cons of em,as also the company to which Iā€™m hopefully going will probably give me one to start with.

and the old style tacho.

Does that matter then? I mean do you boast to other drivers at truck stops when you have a tray type? :laughing:
Wouldnt have thought it made a lot of different TBH?

The first thing I didnt like about it was the mirrors(small and lack of an electric motor behind them)

Not seen any with small mirrors, theyā€™re all much wider than those on other trucks, although if your used to driving a MAN with the wide angle at the bottom and main mirror at the top, it takes a bit of getting used to the scania position. Yeah being manualy adjust able they are a bit ā– ā– ā–  as you have to move the glass not the complete head. Meaning if itā€™s been in the same position for a long time and is stuck you end up breaking the glass when you adjust it.

The Kerb mirrors are really ā– ā– ā– , theyā€™re very small and are the same one theyā€™ve been using since the 70ā€™s i think, it looks completely out of place compared to the rest of the vehicle and not even heated.

As for day cabs, the controls are very well placed, and a pleasure to drive. Very comfortable to ā€˜driveā€™ but terrible if you have a break in it as all you can do is sit in the driving position with that map console in the way. Much like being in a fighter cockpit, everything where you want it and comfortable to operate, but not a lot of room to move about.

dennisw1:

and the old style tacho.

Does that matter then? I mean do you boast to other drivers at truck stops when you have a tray type? :laughing:
Wouldnt have thought it made a lot of different TBH?

Im not that sad dennis :laughing: but when your used to having a cartridge type with the digital clock which I use for everything time related itā€™s a bit of a shock.

Iā€™d say it would be like having a top spec Nissan Skyline,having it taken off you and replaced with an Austin princess :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: although that example could be seen as slightly severe :wink:

I drive a mix of 04 and 05 plate Scanias, both have electric mirrors as they are in the spec, but now and again there are hired scanias with no electric mirrors, in all honesty though, I rarely need to adjust the mirrors so thats no problem anyway.

The only thing I dont like about them is the lack of leg room, even with the seat right back my legs are sore by the time I get out of it, having damaged ligaments in the foot does not help though. The cruise control is ok and saves the ankle a lot of strain, the bunks are comfortable but seats are hard but compensated for by the air suspension.

Overall I like the trucks I drive but as Iā€™m only nights and not tramping I dont live in it.

Not driven too many trucks in the two years Iā€™ve been on the road but happy to spend 15 hrs in a Scaniaā€¦

Might be down to size, medium build & 6 foot 2, and driving position, but I find theyā€™re quite comfortable. As the seat seems infinitely variable I can soon find the right position. And my bum donā€™t hurt !

The seat also goes back more than most, which is relaxing when parked up with the steering wheel out of the way, as I can put my feet on the dash and stretch out with loads of space. A little too comfortable at timesā€¦ :laughing:

What I donā€™t like is the ā€œoffsetā€, which can make my left leg a little uncomfortable. To overcome this I rest my foot on the mount in front of the gear lever when on motorways, like being in an armchair.

As for the mirrors they do have electric adjusters but I guess it must be an option. I also find they have less blindspots than most as theyā€™re quite low and Iā€™m tall.

I do agree theyā€™re quite strapped for space, but what there is I find reasonably efficient. The top bunk holds the bulky stuff, and the passengers footwell
the fridge, and the lockers in arms reach. Bunk is comfortable for me, and with the telly mounted on the passenger dash, bottle of plonk and ashtray by my side, Iā€™m like the proverbial pigā€¦

What I like most about the Scania is the driveā€¦ It can ā€œlugā€, and lugs well. No need for all that changing down it just pulls. And I like the box, itā€™s slow and lazy, just like me
:wink:

Bikemonkey, Scanias have got their reputation for a reason . If they were as crap as some on here would have us believe they would not sell many. come back with an honest opinion in 6 months when you had some real time experience with your 04 scanny. My brother in law has worked for on wagon & drags for Stobarts for years and has always had Dafs he hated the mearest mention of the word Scania but last year was forced due to fleet replacement to change to a topline 420 on a 54 plate after a few weeks of moaning about the gearbox {only 12 speed instead of the16 he was used too} and a few other bits he stopped complaining. Now he wont hear a bad word said against it.

I also found that when I went to change gear I kept knocking the splitter switch :unamused:

bikemonkey:
I also found that when I went to change gear I kept knocking the splitter switch :unamused:

Thats easily solved at the next service, just ask the fitter to rotate the gearstick 90 degrees :wink:

That was one of my biggest bug bears when driving a brand new scania at TDG, a simple request at Darlington Scania dealership and everything was hunky dory afterwards.

Button moved to front of stick away from knees and one major problem solved, it was murder pulling away at a junction etc finding you had accidently knocked the switch without realising. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Davey Driver:

bikemonkey:

Thats easily solved at the next service, just ask the fitter to rotate the gearstick 90 degrees :wink:

Button moved to front of stick away from knees and one major problem solved, it was murder pulling away at a junction etc finding you had accidently knocked the switch without realising. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

I think in an 04 plate it may have the newer gear stick with the splitter switch on the right hand side and the range switch on the front instead of the collar, so it canā€™t be turned around, however the angle of the gear lever can be adjusted by the bolt at the base of it and can be adjusted so its angled further towards the passenger side :laughing:

however If you donā€™t ask you donā€™t get, us ā€œfittersā€ are not mind readers :sunglasses:

I have heard from a number of drivers that the scania mirrors are one of the best, I have not had a problem with them either :smiley:

Discopete:
however If you donā€™t ask you donā€™t get, us ā€œfittersā€ are not mind readers :sunglasses:

I think its about time fitters fell in line with us drivers :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

If we are supposed to be mind readers why shouldnā€™t they :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Davey Driver:

Discopete:

I think its about time fitters fell in line with us drivers :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

If we are supposed to be mind readers why shouldnā€™t they :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Funny I was just thinking that !!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

bikemonkey:
I went for an assesment with a RIVAL company this morning

Im tellinā€™ Dawson Monday. :laughing: :laughing: :wink: Although with the amount of drivers that seem to have come and gone here he probably wont be surprised!
How come your leaving?
:smiley:

You have PM :wink:

You can tell Dawson what a ā– ā– ā– ā–  his so called Depot Manager is :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: