scania trucks

hello everybody ive been lurking around this site for a while now but never got round to joining so here goes.I know everybody has there own views and experiences of different makes of trucks etc,but scanias seem to get a right slateing on here are they really that bad compared to other makes.I work on them for a living but no hgv licence as yet so cant comment on them. cheers

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome scaniabostonboy :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

FAQ forum for info on Posting Pics, Driver CPC, Getting 1st LGV Licence and much more…

As I have done mainly day runs then I’ve not found much of a problem with any make of truck but those doing tramping are likely to have more issues with each make.

Are you thinking of getting your LGV licennce in the furture ?

ROG:
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome scaniabostonboy :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

FAQ forum for info on Posting Pics, Driver CPC, Getting 1st LGV Licence and much more…

As I have done mainly day runs then I’ve not found much of a problem with any make of truck but those doing tramping are likely to have more issues with each make.

Are you thinking of getting your LGV licennce in the furture ?

Hopefully work will help me out with my licence as its as much a benefit to them.Anyhow time for to start my shift now thanks for the welcome rog :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I have driven scanias for 4 years only just got my r series 6 months ago and i think it is great but that stupid clutch saver is useless you try driving in busy towns and you cant pull away fast because you cannot get the rev’s. I’d love it disabled. But apart from that it has 12v and 24v built in which is great… the new bed design makes it bigger although moving your seats to get under it leaves much to be desired so dont use the storage underneath really. I really cannot complain about my scania i can swing a cat arround in it and its only the mid range one cant remeber if its called highliner or topliner not the biggest but the one below. Having said that when my dash went a few months back i was given a daf and i did like the gearbox better so much smoother and never had to fight in the morning to get a gear. Maybe i was lucky. But my dad who has the big one has a automatic one and it is pants.

Hi Scaniabostonboy,
I to am new to this site but in reply to your post I think its safe to say that drivers views to Scania’s is like peoples view to Marmite, “You either love them or hate them”. I personally think they are a very good truck but I am a woman so does that count??

Danny27404:
that stupid clutch saver is useless you try driving in busy towns and you cant pull away fast because you cannot get the rev’s.quote]

Try pulling away without accelerator until the clutch is fully released. Engine management will give sufficient revs to get you rolling. Thats what it is designed for.

But my dad who has the big one has a automatic one and it is pants

The Opticruise box is a lovely piece of kit if driven how it was intended. however not many companies get driver training on new products, as is the case with the Opticruise. A brief description when the vehicle is handed over is not sufficient

Id rate scanias as the best trucks ive driven ive driven 3 4 and r series models and have realy rated them to drive but ive never done nights out so i couldnt comment on one as a living space.

I will try that when i’m back in work tomorrow thanks.

Hello scaniabostonboy

IMHO and it seems plenty others too, Scania lost the plot in 1995 and went downhill big time when they brought out the 4 series. The 4 series had several design faults with it and since then they don’t see to have progressed much. Before 1995 and especially with the later 3 series they were a ■■■■ good truck which you would have great difficulty in beating and I would say only The F and FH Volvo’s could be considered as good.

The 4 series had several design faults

Would you care to elaborate ?

Bikertrash:

The 4 series had several design faults

Would you care to elaborate ?

Not really as it would take too long.

But just one for you - seats, crap design knackered after two years.

There’s there’s RHD foot space…

Oh no I’d Best stop there else I’ll be here all day. :grimacing: :smiling_imp: :laughing:

But just one for you - seats, crap design knackered after two years.

Seats were not designed by Scania, they were a standard Isri seat, admittedly they were useless and were changed by Scania in 97/98. after a lot of complaints.

There’s there’s RHD foot space…

I take size 12 in boots and never had a problem with foot space, but i do know that there were some big footed oafs that complained that they couldnt rest there left foot to the side of the clutch pedal and the problem was referred to the technical people and was made wider on the introduction of the R series.

Just going by your username i can see i am in a no win situation on this.
I was a driver trainer with Scania for ten years and drove all marques in the course of my job.
No truck is perfect, and we can pick little holes with all of them. I wouldnt exactly refer to them as design faults though.

Well I passed my passed my class 2 test on a Scania, so I guess Im a little biased… :grimacing:

I like the fact the passenger seat now folds down and makes a great table or you can fold the bottom part up and use the massive footwell space to store a massive fridge or whatever you find massive. The new scania i found for living in is great but only if your company pays for the extras like to multiway folding passenger seat and drivers seat that is fully customiseable from softness to moulding round your body. But i think as for every make you pay for the options you get what your looking for? Just wish i could find a scania dealer to fit my fog lamps in for less than 200 quid seen as i have high beam spots and all the wireing is there and just been ripped off everywhere i go. But thats every dealer isnt it. :laughing:

Bikertrash:
No truck is perfect

Exactly, there’s ven some design faults on a DAF. :grimacing:

I have also driven all marques, so can also go by that including 1,2,3,4 series Scanias, but not the R or P series.

Bikertrash:
Seats were not designed by Scania,

Scania must have appraised them, or even gave the specs for them. The newest one of those I drove was a 54 reg IIRC and the seat was about the same.

BTW I used to be a Scania fan, then a Volvo fan, still am but since about 2001 I have found DAF the best.

I have always wanted to drive a Scania from the first time I went out in one when I was 10 in 1989, it was a 1986 93m that my brother in law had when he drove for R.T Steward, I thought it was the bees knees. I have driven other makes and been happy with them but deep down always wanted to drive one. They look nice, the driving position is excellent, they are comfortable and roomy, I love em !. A MAN driving friend of mine describes them as 'the XR3i of the truck world, because all the boy racers and posers ave em !, which cracks me up !

Some people call them show trucks but that doesnt bother me, i want one!
I have always wanted to drive a Topline (with all the bling :grimacing: ). When i was doing my work experience i had a run out for the day in one and it was amazing.

Having had a Fh13 for three years makes me a confirmed Volvo fan. The I-shift is a step change better than the optidrive on the Skoda, the Volvo cabs are 15 years old now but still screwed together better than the Skoda - sad to say i will have to get used to it having been informed that Mr Yearsley is to replace the former Intimidate fleet with the ■■■■ things, god knows which one but I bet its not a 480! :unamused:

CM:
having been informed that Mr Yearsley is to replace the former Intimidate fleet with the ■■■■ things

Note to self, don’t bother ever trying there then. :laughing:

I have size 13 feet and manage to drive a series 4 P cab OK, although I did prefer my FM12 that I had before. Currently holding out for an R580 or similar but I think I may have a long wait. :smiley: