scania trucks

scaniabostonboy:
hello everybody ive been lurking around this site for a while now but never got round to joining so here goes.I know everybody has there own views and experiences of different makes of trucks etc,but scanias seem to get a right slateing on here are they really that bad compared to other makes.I work on them for a living but no hgv licence as yet so cant comment on them. cheers

Yeah, they’re overpriced crap. :laughing:

Loretta:
Hi Scaniabostonboy,
I personally think they are a very good truck but I am a woman so does that count??

No. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

I never found a problem with the footwell in the 4 series p cab but admit it was cramped even compared to say an fl10. My main problem was knocking the range change switch. But the firm i worked for who ran a few of these turned the gear knob 90 degrees so the switch was on the front and problem solved.

Scania are without doubt the best truck on the road.period.
They pull well they dont break down there resale value is the best and there is a wow factor and alot of driver pride thrown in to boot. :arrow_right:

They have an ecellent reputation in road haulage for a reason,the reasons for slating scania above here are laughable. From the days of running trucks to the middle east to today in the quarries and forests of mine and your country they are number one.

Volvo have serious issues with cab size,DAF give serious engine and air valve problem’s,Mercedes have a slow gearchange the rest are pure rubbish …no truck is perfect but scania are close very close-unfortunately they know this and want an extra €10-15k/unit…this is why i drive a Mercedes-the best of the rest .

Mmmm lots of different opinions on that one then, thanks for everyone takeing the time to reply.Lots of people have already mentioned how the seat never seems to line up with the steering wheel it was one of my dads biggest gripes when he had a 4 series.On the whole the response didnt seem to bad to the trucks in general .As for the prices on the trucks :blush: :blush: , cheers

ellies dad:
Scania are without doubt the best truck on the road.period.
They pull well they dont break down there resale value is the best and there is a wow factor and alot of driver pride thrown in to boot. :arrow_right:

They have an ecellent reputation in road haulage for a reason,the reasons for slating scania above here are laughable. From the days of running trucks to the middle east to today in the quarries and forests of mine and your country they are number one.

Volvo have serious issues with cab size,DAF give serious engine and air valve problem’s,Mercedes have a slow gearchange the rest are pure rubbish …no truck is perfect but scania are close very close-unfortunately they know this and want an extra €10-15k/unit…this is why i drive a Mercedes-the best of the rest .

Dont break down? Your having a laugh fella we run 4 throught our group and all 4 have at sometime failed and all are 06 upwards.

scaniabostonboy:
Mmmm lots of different opinions on that one then, thanks for everyone takeing the time to reply.Lots of people have already mentioned how the seat never seems to line up with the steering wheel it was one of my dads biggest gripes when he had a 4 series.On the whole the response didnt seem to bad to the trucks in general .As for the prices on the trucks :blush: :blush: , cheers

You want to know about the most slated lorry on here… try my steed… the dreaded by most, loved by a minority… IVECO STRALIS :laughing:

Not a big fan of the R series, like the look and interior of the 4 series topline, but dont think you can beat a 143 :smiley:

Theres a H reg 143 in at work at the minute its a bit of a beast big stack pipe,extended tag axle chassis can defo see the attraction but the cab seems tiny by todays standards, that said we dont see a lot of them anymore also do a couple of streamliners.

I learned and passed in a 2004 94D 260, was quite a nice truck. I much prefer it to the Volvo FL-220s we use (which are the same age). Not tried a P or R series but have had a go in a new FL and its a load better than its predecessor.

As an example of differing build quality, I have just handed back a stralis which was on a 3 year lease (praise the lord it’s finally over) and the inside had numerous broken switches and plastic covers and door pieces broken all over the cab. I have a 2.5 year old scania which has nothing broken on the cab interior. All motors are prone to breakdown no matter how new they are and the 2 problems I have had with the scania just after 2 years old and just out of warranty I might add were a failed water pump and a new sensor in the opticruise box which was about £750! The opticruise is ok and only plays up if you are charging around in the motor which is fair enough really. All the main 5 makes be it Daf, Scania, Man, Volvo or Mercs are fine and I would have any of these. It’s jsut down to drivers individual minor like or dislikes. It always cracks me when drivers say I’d never drive a ******* I hate them. Too spoilt nowadays!

I do like Scanny’s but they are expensive. I wouldn’t be too bothered about changing it for a Volvo, Merc or Man though, Dafs are probly my least favourite.

A self confesed Volvo fan but, SWriath has a piont had a 450 auto Iveco for 8 wks before xmas EXCELENT DRIVE
Not saying its best moter out there but as I`ve posted before loved it :blush:

I drive an 03 Topline and love it. My only gripe is that it is on two axles and struggle with some loads I get. Apart from that the top bunk is dead comfortable, sleep better in it than at home. Missus suggests I move into the top of the wardrobe!! :laughing:

Before I entered my current employ I had hardly ever driven a Scania and would have been on here slagging them off. I have been driving and living living in a R500 Topline for nearly 2 years now. I cover roughly 200,000 km a year all over Europe. Our trucks work very very hard pulling sometimes daft weights over the Alps regularly for instance.

I can honestly say I’ve gone from a Scania hater to the point where the only truck on the road I’d swap mine for is a more powerful Scania. It’s an 06, never broken down, pulls like a train and the interior looks like it just rolled out of the factory. Everything works, no broken switches etc.

The only downsides would be the interior could be better designed and when empty on wet Irish back roads its not the most sure footed of trucks, but then I probably push it way too hard. Drove our shunter, a '97 Streamline 143 450 solo last week down same roads and it was like a racing car in comparison.

I have driven and lived in an XF Spacecab, an Actros and an FH. The DAFs where I worked were hugely unreliable, the Actros was a good truck but not built that well and the FH was good but let down by that daft sloping screen.

There is a reason they are so popular in Ireland, the same reason Irish operators get a slating on here. They can take a monumental amount of punishment.

i’m usually on a DAF 95 XF 480 but i’ve been given an R500 for the week with a manual box, don’t want to give it back. only problem i’ve ever had with scani’s is i get back trouble, sets are better in the R series though

ive got 03 plate 470 wendy house ive had cuboards fitted instead of top bunk brilliant
had engine remapped to 520 had to have engine rebuilt due to driver running her out of oil
he dont work for me anymore.i do really enjoy driving her good reliable truck if looked after

When i got to work today they asked me if i was ready and ok to start proceedings with my class 2 licence,its nice to have some good news for once with all the doom n gloom going about.And as said before thanks for the replys. cheers