Scania, as good as they used to be?

Hello all, im new to the forum, and would just like to say it is brilliant with a good bunch of guys and girls with a wealth of info and starting to read through…

Just a quick question to you all, about 10 years ago, I used to think Scania was a top class truck, maybe the best, but now I seem to think there not, and is not as good as truck as what it could be. My biggest prob is the driver seat being so uncomfatable and lack of adjust with no ‘ratchet’ system. It seems alot ‘cheaper’ inside on the dash aswell. Another thing I hate is the windscreen, I am 6ft 3in with a dodgey leg so I have to have the seat fairly high, which is ok untill the sun comes out cos as soon as I put the visor down I cant see nothing, and I mean nothing. It just seems as if its more of a fleet truck as oposed to being a pride of the fleet truck.
Be good to see other peoples views on this cos to me you can beat a DAF XF.

Cheers
Chris

P.S The new MAN I think looks gorgeous and that massive windscreen my suit me a bit better but ive never drove one, any info on them■■?

i dont think its case that scania are bad its just everybody else has caught up and now you are spoiled for choice. there isnt a bad truck out there people just prefer different spec’s for different jobs and now choose a truck on price depending what they are going to do with it.

also scania needs to move on from the glory days of the 70’s and 80’s and realise they have a truck the same as other manufacturers and lower their stupid prices.

In a word, No.

I agree with NO, in fact the gear box in the R Series is 2 or 3 steps backwards… :frowning: :frowning:

after having fh 480 for a while id have to say the new scanias feel a backward step.
not on about cab size for nights out as i dont do them.
just ease of driving

scania for me the relibilty is good well for the v8 engine anyway we have a t reg 1999 still running spain with no probs, had a daf but when it got over three years old it started to fall apart. this is from a owner drivers piont of view tho

10 years ago was just after the introduction of the 4 series. i think if you were to go back 20 years ago to the introduction o the 3 series your argument might have a bit of strength, but , the 4 series is far better now than when it first came out, but still a world behind the latter 3 series.scania are not market leders as they were, they rested on their laurels and everyone else has caught up. in saying that, i still think they are probably one of the better made wagons.

Always thought Scania were overated personally.

Ken.

to be honest i used to admire scania’s and was always told when i was younger (when i was about 15-16) that they were the best on the road.

not anymore now i have driven a few, i dont like the scania’s they feel a bit too cluttered and it makes me feel claustrophobic, the most roomy i have driven is the MAN TGA very roomy and lots of storage but the auto box was crap but i would be very happy if they stuck me in a daf for the weekend! the cf has an excellent driving position and everything is well set out, plus the bunk is the most comfortable out of all the ones i have slept on (but the volvo top bunk comes a close second, or was that exhaustion speaking?), not driven a XF SSC yet but cant wait to get a go in one!

the best bunk used to be in a volvo wendy house, even though the cab was small and crap, they had a sprung mattress

also scania needs to move on from the glory days of the 70’s and 80’s and realise they have a truck the same as other manufacturers and lower their stupid prices

J.D is bang on here, and with the EGR euro 5 engines they have really lost the plot on price.

in fact the gear box in the R Series is 2 or 3 steps backwards…

another good point

they’re still a good truck thou not a great truck anymore.

yella:
the best bunk used to be in a volvo wendy house, even though the cab was small and crap, they had a sprung mattress

The newer Volvos have a sprung mattress too. I did a week in one of our FH XLs not so long ago and the only GOOD thing about the cab was the mattress. And even that eventually became a problem, it was far too difficult to drag myself out of on a dark chilly morning… :wink:

the older FHs had an awful mattress. i spent a week in one tramping and i could feel the metal spars through the mattress. that was a very uncomfortable sleep

Looked at most of them at Asten in Holland the other week.
No, Scannia isn’t what it once was. Nor is Volvo to be honest.
Best cab layout to me has to be Merc, but the biggest bunk is in the DAF.
The TGX is pretty good, but not brilliant if you’re out for a long time.
But for a tramper who’s only out a week (wimps!) there aren’t any truly bad cabs to be honest.
I’m out 6 weeks at a time, and have a DAF 105 SSC, the bunk is great, the storage isn’t so wonderful, but better than in the new FH, why they took out the middle cupboard is beyond me!

Only one option IMO , roll on delivery :smiley: :laughing: :wink:

3 months and counting!! :wink:

Give me a 3 series scanny any day

scanspud:
Give me a 3 series scanny any day

with a 143 500 growling underneath!!

orrid things

i think i’d have a scania V8 any day just for the power and when i drove a new R480 i liked it a lot :sunglasses: but i am a scania man me i think there still king of the road :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :sunglasses:

As you know at the moment I am still on rigids and I currently drive a 53 plate 340 8 legger. I first drove it when it was about six months old and it was nice drive, but 5 years on its a dog.

I spend at least one day a week commuting back and forth to our repair facility. Originally we had 9 of these, although 4 have now gone. The remaining 5 are all in a bad way, they’ve all had turbos, clutch slave cylinders, probs with jammed door handles etc. All have reletively low mileage (less than 300K).

Spent a week in a 08 Daf 360 8 legger the other week and it was far superior - and I never would have thought I would say that!!!