Scammells

Greetings to you all,
I used to drive a Scammell Handyman at Shell Wandsworth with a black oil tank,unloaded by air pressure from a compressor under the nearside seat.It had a Leyland 680 in it and the Reg No. was ALH 470 B.
Has anyone seen it or have any knowledge of it’s fate? I thought it 's a good idea to ask as this Forum to me, is the best place to find out anything.
A Happy Christmas to ALL,regards,900X20.

Found a couple of trunkers and a routeman, but not a handyman:

:smiley: Hello,Steve Cook,
Thanks for your photos,I think the Trunker ELK was one that I have driven in the past - it brought back some memories too. If I remember rightly,it had a Rolls Royce Eagle 265 engine
and did the job O.K.It carried black oil all the time as we never changed trailers,they were married for life.Also,no landing legs.The ALH one was a bit older,the long nosed model with rod brakes on the trailer.
If it’s still around,It’ll probably be owned by a Fairground company.Again,many thanks,Happy Christmas,900X20. :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue:

Is the Handyman same as the Highwayman ? :confused:

as a lad I used to go with my Dad in his Highwayman Tanker in the summer holidays,loved it :sunglasses:

A few years back I was driving for NFT came round the South Circular,picked up the A3 down East Hill into Wandsworth,just as a Highwayman was pulling 3 fairground trailers up East Hill and he was clogging it :sunglasses: :smiley:
A sight to behold. :wink:

He was probably heading for Clapham Common.

:smiley: Hello,James Bateman,
Thanks for your input,and you are right.A lot of the old Scammells found their way into the fairground business and the one you saw was probably the same type that I used to drive,ALH 470B.
Crow Carrying and Mambré Garton used them a lot too.With a Leyland 680 engine fitted they could pull and the brakes were good despite the fact that they were rod operated on the trailer. :sunglasses:
Regards,900x20.

Anyone remember this one, i’m told it ran around the Leek area for many years. A Scammell cab on a Leyland chassis, perhaps someone in the know will confirm from the registration

Greeting to you All.
I found an old Shell Magazine the other day and this was an article in it. It might evoke some memories. Sorry re.the quality but it is an old magazine and a bit worse for wear. Regards,900x20. :laughing: