Scammell anyone

Taskman:
Gilbraiths ran alot of his tanker fleet with Scammels, in my BRS days i had a Scammel crusader with a Rolls 220 and what a load of rubbish it was,

I started in 1969 at Gilbraith Tankers on a Scammell Highwayman, we had some Routeman’s and Handyman’s with the gate box, and then the newer Handyman’s had the David brown box. We also had a few Trunkers on the gas job before we got the Crusaders and then the Marathons, I got one of the very first in 1974.

This one driven by my Grandad had a gate change box, & a 6LW,Gardner, Reg 1943. Not old enough to drive it, but had many a ride in it im pleased to say, Regards Larry.

Taskman:
Gilbraiths ran alot of his tanker fleet with Scammels, in my BRS days i had a Scammel crusader with a Rolls 220 and what a load of rubbish it was,

I had a few crusaders with the 280 rolls in and they were a fine machine really on top of the job and would blow most foreigners away :unamused:
cheers Johnnie :wink:

innit:

remember these well you can own this baby if you want its up for grabs

cannot see an image mate

I had a few days riding on this when I was a bairn leaping lena the old 100 tonner

cheers Johnnie :wink:

Sorry about the bit thats missing,but still a good photo wouldnt you agree, Regards Larry

PLEASE HELP can you tell me where the night heater is and the bed I cannot find the sat nav or the heater on the wagons above !!! PLEASE HELP :blush:

Cheers Johnnie :wink:

No chance, they werent invented in those days, but the likes of us old drivers could keep warm & did not get lost, well once or twice maybee, Sat Navs, well I cant see why present days drivers need them , Regards Larry.

I was allocated this old Scammell at Christmas 1969, what a fantastic present. One of the first jobs I got was from Shell Stanlow to Dounreay powere station, a full weeks work.

Russell.

drove one off those , like the gillbraiths but mine was for thomas allen on the shell bitumen contract out of stanlow 1962 any body rember them??

I remember Tommy Allen’s very well, there were one or two of their tankers on Shell Chemicals when I was.
Was one of the drivers called Lionel and he was about twenty stone?

Another Gilbraith Scammell, we didn’t have many of the Crusaders.

Russell.

The oldest Scammell I ever drove was this old ex army wrecker. I only drove it a few miles from our yard to the dealers to tow a broken down Leyland. That was plenty far enough.

and a restored wrecker with my wife waiting for the starters orders to race it.

Russell.

1955 Scammell Explorer at Tatton Park in 2009 with its Galloper.Two fine restored Machines.Mike.

Heres Richies 1945 LA20 Scammell, 6LW Gardner.New as a tractor unit to Isaac Barry Glasgow.

Regards kevmac47.

remember these well you can own this baby if you want its up for grabs

Scammell Trunker.

Do you have a bigger photo?

I wish I had some loot, I’d go for that. I used to drive the 8 legger version the routeman, with 220 roller in, or a 680 power plus. The roller was a bit better, murder to do a days work in tho !