Anyone recognize this - The Truck or The Livery

Not aure if this should be in here or the photo section(If its wrong, apologies Admin, please can you move it for me?)

Was delivering in Northampton round the back of EM Rogers yard on Wednesday, and saw this thru the fence…

Didnt recognize what it was at first…
Just thought i’d share it with you all and see if any of you knew of the company whos livery its in…

BuzzardBoy
Obviously it’s a Scammell – but is it a Trunker or Highwayman ■■ I drove a similar vehicle for Shell Mex & B.P. out of Buncefield Terminal when I wore a young mans clothes !!
As for the company well ■■ In their day they were popular vehicles with oil companies, breweries etc. so could be anyone !!
If I remember correctly they were a very “basic” vehicle by todays standards – glass fibre cab with no roof insulation, also I recall they had a gated gearshift lever + batteries were in the cab behind the drivers seat !!

Definately a Scammell, Routeman ?

Did you see how many axles it had?

Colingl:
Definately a Scammell, Routeman ?

Did you see how many axles it had?

Funny, my mate said a Routeman as well.

didnt see how many axles it had, but in one of the pictures, i am sure you can see 2 rear axles thru the trees…

Highwayman,no.Maybe a Handyman.
Tho’ I thought that they were rigids.

Or has been said Routeman or Trunker.
Sorry just about to post,when someone answered.

Spent many hours in one of these back in the 70s / 80s.

The straight six speed David Brown box being the stuff of legends. :unamused: :laughing: :sunglasses:

Trunking up Long Hill in second used to take half an hour from a dead start near the old Post Office in Buxton. :cry:

Judging by the shadow of the front wheel in the pic it looks as if the axle is set back and if two rear axles can be seen from the fence then its most likely the Routeman II as the Routeman III had square headlights and indicators on stalks, it also must be a later II as the Scammell name is in the large chrome letters where as the first ones had a small name plate on the rad cover. This variant in the pic was produced 1968 seen at the Earls Court show, the earlier Routeman II’s were out in 1962 and only had single drive rear bogies the later one’s having Albion hub reduction double rear drive. The Routeman I of course was the cab similar to the bonneted Highwayman but with the nose cut off and a flat front, produced 1959 - 62. Very faded paintwork on this Scammell but cab looks in good nick, a closer look will surely make out the company name. Just goes to show these things are still to be found. Franky.

Whatever it is, Routeman, Trunker or Handyman, it seems to be in the livery of Maltese haulage company EMMANUAL VELLA & SONS, who run 1 of the largest fleets on the island. They run a mixed bag of ERF, Foden, Volvo and incidentley a very smart Routeman 8 wheel flat!!!

STRAIGHT EIGHT:
it seems to be in the livery of Maltese haulage company EMMANUAL VELLA & SONS, who run 1 of the largest fleets on the island.

if it is, it’s amazing (and good) to think that some of these old girls are coming back to blightly for a THIRD life in preservation, after presumably being exported to malta etc at the end of their first working life here

the site truckworld.eu seems to be full of old western european stuff around 15 years old which has had it’s second life in the eastern bloc and portugal, and the ever enterprising dutch are buying them up to flog as restoration projects, probably to the original owners and drivers of such kit :smiley: