Image hosted by Photobucket.com

:smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :sunglasses:

yet again. you have put some outstanding pictures on the site,
do you have anymore hidden away at home that you can post please,

Good pics :smiley:

Were you looking at Reg’s Borderer through your mirror? :laughing:

That high roof Atki looks the business though :sunglasses: .

I remember the ERF with the European(?) cab, but don’t remember seeing many on the road. Did they not sell well?

The Scammell of course is a Truncroutedyman :confused: . (Apologies to Marky)

Salut, David.

Bassets are probably still running that old 'un on regular trips trunking up north!! :laughing: :laughing:
Seriously though, they do keep their motors for ages, also Browns of Stoke - they run some older ones.

Spardo:
Were you looking at Reg’s Borderer through your mirror? :laughing:

That high roof Atki looks the business though :sunglasses: .

I remember the ERF with the European(?) cab, but don’t remember seeing many on the road. Did they not sell well?

The Scammell of course is a Truncroutedyman :confused: . (Apologies to Marky)

Salut, David.

I know where there is one of those ERF MW/Europeans - it was on Ebay a couple of months ago being sold by someone in Belgium and I saw it on a stepframe plant trailer in Burscough last week waiting to be unloaded.

There are actually two Scammells shown - the LAD cabbed wagon under the TRUNKER is a Scammell as well.

marky:
[.

There are actually two Scammells shown - the LAD cabbed wagon under the TRUNKER is a Scammell as well.

Missed that one Marky.
So what makes that a Scammell then?
I know that some Leylands had those long doors that I associated with Albions, probably 8 leggers (were there any Albion 8 leggers?), but Scammells?

Salut, David.

Spardo:
So what makes that a Scammell then?
I know that some Leylands had those long doors that I associated with Albions, probably 8 leggers (were there any Albion 8 leggers?), but Scammells?

Salut, David.

I hope this helps Spardo

:smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :sunglasses:

Thanks for that Neal - I had a similar explanation in a book (somewhere). It gives an infinitely better description than I could give myself.

See David - just when you thought you’d got to grips with the Scammell nomenclature, another one jumps up for you to figure out!!

The LAD cabbed Scammell is an interesting motor, I’d never heard of it, I used to drive Leylands with short and long door versions of that cab.

In one my old books Albion and Leyland were still offering the LAD cab on certain models in 1971, alongside the Ergomatic cab. Albion Clydesdale and Chieftain, plus the Leyland Bear still had them. By '71 Dodge had dropped the LAD cab for their new ‘modern’ looking one.

Thanks for the info, I’d spent ages trying to Google search for LAD cabbed Scammell.

I am astounded :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I thought I knew, at least vaguely, about everything that has happened in road transport since the war ( and some things before), but have never heard of this beast.

I know that Scammell were big on the permanently coupled tank trailers but mainly with Highwaymen, remember well one of Crow Carrying’s (I think it was theirs) which was always parked up at that service station on Ollerton island on the A614. Also remember seeing somewhere a trailer, without unit, propped up on 2 oil drums.

Thanks Neil and Marky, a very interesting fact - and not many people know that :slight_smile:

Salut, David.

I know where there is one of those ERF MW/Europeans - it was on Ebay a couple of months ago being sold by someone in Belgium and I saw it on a stepframe plant trailer in Burscough last week waiting to be unloaded.

Indeed I sold my ERF on Ebay! Dutch not belgian however. Unfortunately it was just impossible to find any parts on the continent. Only a handfull were sold here in Holland, Belgium and France. I therefore sold it to a chap near Mancheser I think.

Enclosed a few pictures. One where it’s loaded on a lowloader. Watch the Volvo F89. The second one is the ERF 7MW in it’s original condition and the third as bought by me.

Hope you guys like the pictures.
Renay

[/img]

That Portway ERF has jogged a few memories for me.

Portway had a large depot in Faversham on Whitstable Rd. and as far as I can remember,before Portway they were called South Eastern Transport and before that,East Kent Packers.

EKP had a large fruit packing plant,with the truck garage just down the road on the opposite side.

And G.L. Baker,also of Faversham,used to run a couple of LHD ERF’s like the red one above the Portway pic on regular runs to Marks & Spencer in Paris.
G.L.Baker later became Transhield,then BOC Transhield.

very nice pictures thanks alot

KW:

I remember G.L. Bakers because they were associated with C.E. (Charlie)
Dormer of Leytonstone (after the BOC linkup) who bought Hedley Shaw’s of
Nottingham (where I worked) and later handed them (Shaws) over to Reg.
Cooper of Wednesbury to manage. Shaws later disappeared and Coopers
came under BOC too I think.

I was out in the summer holidays when i was a kid with my Dad,and we got talking to this young lad from Bassetts and he had a Atki Borderer.He said at Bassetts they had an unofficial apprenticeship,where you started on the Borderer’s and if you proved yourself you was moved onto a B or C series ERF.
Wow i could see why he looked so longingly at our 112 Scania.

hey thanks for them, as i was looking at the original picture, i thought it was some sort of hybrid erf! i have never heard or seen one as far as i know!

is it just me or does the (front) have an air of scania 111 to it?

[/img]
[/quote]

KW:
That Portway ERF has jogged a few memories for me.

Portway had a large depot in Faversham on Whitstable Rd. and as far as I can remember,before Portway they were called South Eastern Transport and before that,East Kent Packers.

EKP had a large fruit packing plant,with the truck garage just down the road on the opposite side.

And G.L. Baker,also of Faversham,used to run a couple of LHD ERF’s like the red one above the Portway pic on regular runs to Marks & Spencer in Paris.

There we are: exactly as I suspected - if these were NGCs they were used on the run that I later did with E-series ERFs on the same work for (basically) the same company. Robert