Rusty ex Trucker, looking for way back

Hey everyone,
New here on TruckNet but not new to trucking…I passed my class 1 back in 95 went the usual route Agency work ie Jewsons, Doves, Grahams etc then went on to drive for Holroyd Meek Banbury running into London and surrounding areas more a labourer than Trucker, came back up North got a start with Waughs ! day work local shunting across the North East, heard about good agency ended up driving for them got into night trunking for the likes of Team Hawk, Allied Bakeries etc and eventually got into Tramping work for Salvesen…
12 years later…yes last drive was Salvesens 98 i am looking to get back “down the road” Any advice on getting a foot back on the ladder after so long away ■■
Recently took first day training for CPC so have first 7 hours done…awaiting my Digicard from D.V.L.A but there in no hurry it seems !!
I found my old agency boss recently who got me the tramping work at Salvesens and he suggested i do a refresher course…this does sound wise as i am rusty but not seized solid…took the LGV theory test at an agency in Surrey passed with 88% I am concerned more about the safety side and vehicles checks etc.
As you all know the first step is the most difficult…should i just go for it and quit worrying or take refresher to be on the safe side and have more of a realistic chance in finding a job…anyone who has been in this situation, any advice would be appreciated, and any companies that would hire a rusty driver, dont mind relocating…no commitments…
Thanks to you all, safe journeys

Welcome :slight_smile:

Personnally after 12 years I’d do a refresher and I’m sure a potential employer would be reassured too.

Yep, thanks mrpj…had some info of Rog also, sounds like the way to go…

mrpj:
Welcome :slight_smile:

Personnally after 12 years I’d do a refresher and I’m sure a potential employer would be reassured too.

Hiyyaaa NEOUBLIE40, you could go for a ‘few hours’ ‘refresher’ just to get back into the swing of things again if you want to, & it may go in your favour too for work , & welcome :smiley:

Thanks bonnie lass, ive been in touch with a trainer up here, they said do an assesment see where im at then maybe half day or full day possibly just the assesment, basically a confidence thing to get back into it…first couple o steps the hardest ! this website hasnt arf given me some advice tho, neva had nowt like this when i started out ! good to read about other drivers experiences and nice to know i`m not alone in some of the scrapes i got maself into in the early days !! the stories just from 3 years Trucking…thanks and stay safe !

bonnie lass:
Hiyyaaa NEOUBLIE40, you could go for a ‘few hours’ ‘refresher’ just to get back into the swing of things again if you want to, & it may go in your favour too for work , & welcome :smiley: