Run bent or keep job

Things are in a bad way in the haulage industry as we are all very aware.
However from time to time a big job comes in and as the boss has had no choice but to lay drivers off when things were quiet he is now stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Do the drivers run a little bent to keep the customer happy, As this may get us some more work?
Or do the drivers do the job 100% legal and have no job in a few weeks?
A dodgy boss may ask you to run bent one week to keep you in a job, then sack you the next week for running bent as its gone quiet again.
There is no way that an agency driver could be used due to lack of training and experience in the type of work.

These are desperate times what do you do?

limeyphil:
Things are in a bad way in the haulage industry as we are all very aware.
However from time to time a big job comes in and as the boss has had no choice but to lay drivers off when things were quiet he is now stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Do the drivers run a little bent to keep the customer happy, As this may get us some more work?
Or do the drivers do the job 100% legal and have no job in a few weeks?
A dodgy boss may ask you to run bent one week to keep you in a job, then sack you the next week for running bent as its gone quiet again.
There is no way that an agency driver could be used due to lack of training and experience in the type of work.

These are desperate times what do you do?

That not i know much but It’s up to you if your prepared to do it and want to take the risk then do it.

I know it’s a hard but if they ALL refused to run bent then the boss would have to negotiate new terms with the client.

Personally, I would not run bent for anyone unless I was going to retire next week and losing my LGV licence did not matter.

Its a tough situation and one I think more than a few are probably facing.

Entirely personally, I don’t have enough years in the industry or experience to back up running bent as a conscious decision.
I’d stay legal and take the consequences, at least knowing I’d done my best for the company.

I also wouldn’t trust a company who asked me to run bent, to keep their promise of having more work for me in the future.
A year or so ago no doubt people would have said “Find another job” but we all know thats not an easy path to take these days.

Joshh:
That not i know much but It’s up to you if your prepared to do it and need the cash then go for it

Unfortunately Josh, things are not always that simple as you will find out when you join the workforce and have responsibilities

The retaining of the LGV licence in order to keep working long term is a lot more preferrable than losing it for a little short term gain

Run Bent ?

No it isn’t worth it.Who pays the fine when you get caught ?

One reason why not to run bent…unless you like what these drivers got

roadtransport.com/Articles/2 … ified.html

My licence is my only means of putting bread on the table and keeping a roof over our heads, i know its a dilema when your put on the spot, but there isn’t a gaffer alive worth putting ahead of my family…

RUN BENT!

I think not. Yr takin innocent lives in yr own hands.

i can’t see the point in running bent. With many places looking to reduce staff numbers if you break the rules they’ve got a cast iron reason to avoid paying you any redundancy money.

ALIX on jens lappy

im not saying yes run bent but…

how do you mean run bent are we talking big time here or just slightly bending a couple of regs

as said things are tough but it does depend what you mean by running bent

Jen:
ALIX on jens lappy

im not saying yes run bent but…

how do you mean run bent are we talking big time here or just slightly bending a couple of regs

as said things are tough but it does depend what you mean by running bent

I was thinking on the lines of pinching an hour or two every couple of days.
Backing onto a site for the 0800 load when you’ve not quite had nine hours off.
Not taking a break when you should, So the load is on time due to the ferry being late.
I’m not thinking on the lines of Glasgow to Gibralter in one hit.

Not taking a break when you should, So the load is on time due to the ferry being late.

Would both show up on the tacho? if yes, then that is super dodgy IMO.

If you meant, booking a break when doing other work then you MIGHT get away with it.

ROG:

No, not if you’ve got the wire on.

limeyphil:

ROG:

would it show a mileage discrepancy :question:

Yep and digi trucks record driving without card as well.

ROG:

limeyphil:

ROG:

would it show a mileage discrepancy :question:

No, but it’s not right to go too far on here with how to do it. But there are several ways to get round any tacho. The more technollogy they introduce,like digital tachographs, Then the easier they make it.

At the end of the day its still breaking the law, no matter how you look at it, and its sods law that when you do somthing to save a bit of time, you’ll be the one that get pulled?
At the end of the day its your livelyhood, no one else will take the rap, and any good company with the good gaffers should’nt even go there.

Avy:
At the end of the day its still breaking the law, no matter how you look at it, and its sods law that when you do somthing to save a bit of time, you’ll be the one that get pulled?
At the end of the day its your livelyhood, no one else will take the rap, and any good company with the good gaffers should’nt even go there.

Could be a last resort if the company’s going belly up and the only way to stay in business is to bend the rules short term.

paul@midway:
Yep and digi trucks record driving without card as well.

Not if you stick the magnet on :wink: You can use the magnet on analogue tachos but depending on what unit its on it marks the card heavier but theres also ways around that I have been told. Also some of the older units dont work well with magnet on, IE:- Only revs to certain amount of RPM so no use if you have a hevay load on.

The joys of sailing to Ireland and listening to the Irishmans stories LOL…

But in this day & age I dont think its worth it as thees too much authority presence on the road with Vosa & Police.