What would you do ? dilema

Here is lets say for the sake of argument and to protect the inocent, hyperthetical story of a guy who nine weeks ago started with a small haulier about ten trucks.

The work is tramping the usual stuff, he does his stint and the next guy jumps in and off he goes.

In the previous weeks he has noticed one or two things in relation to maintenence that has resulted in him having to repeatedly nag to get these things done, but to be fair they have eventually been done.

Amongst other issues of workloads not being achievable within safe legal limits and a realisation that most of the workforce are lets say for want of a better word somewhat happy to engage in some rather strange tachograph procedures :open_mouth: The driver when given a workload for a certain day decides to front the gaffer and tell him quite clearly that under no circumstances will he run bent for him and that when time is up that the wheels will stop turning.

The driver is no mug and is under no ilusions that some do run bent to a certain degree BUT and here is the BIG BUT the driver is now concerened that the level of jiggery pokery is in his opinion dangerous to not only the drivers but other road users.

What would you do see the poll

Bent is bent. Unless geographically there was no other reasonable employer in which case option 3, which could be very difficult to maintain, it would be bye bye. I’d prob be worried about the collateral effect on the other employees to be the whistleblower, but I wouldn’t condemn someone for doing it. Option 1. :confused:

Option 1 here also, but probably the other way round, find other work - hand in notice, If running bent is the norm on this firm then to stay would mean either doing the same or continually swimming against the tide either way not a good way to work, as far as the 2nd choice is concerned can you prove anything and are you even certain that the other drivers are running bent to the point of being dangerous on the roads, needs careful consideration before deciding.

tachograph:
are you even certain that the other drivers are running bent to the point of being dangerous on the roads, needs careful consideration before deciding.

Yes + 3 hours rest in 31 is just one example.

I voted stay and stay straight. But on reflection, if you don’t do what the others are doing he’ll probably get shot of you sooner or later. Might be as well to pack up and off and leave them to it.

And you probably wouldn’t be warmly welcomed by the drivers who do run bent. :confused:

Mike-C:
I voted stay and stay straight. But on reflection, if you don’t do what the others are doing he’ll probably get shot of you sooner or later. Might be as well to pack up and off and leave them to it.

Mike sounds like the prefered option to me too …The dilema is should the prospects of others be protected at the risk of someone being on the wrongside of an error of judgement by a driver that is over tired.

I aint no saint (trust me) but even i have been shocked :open_mouth:

There would be a risk of depriving someone to prevent a theoretical. But I suppose if the theoretical becomes likely enough then the balance changes. If it’s them OR the innocent victim then they take 2nd place. They know the risks. It would be their families I pity. If they were all single men then it would be an easier choice.

Longman:
There would be a risk of depriving someone to prevent a theoretical. But I suppose if the theoretical becomes likely enough then the balance changes. If it’s them OR the innocent victim then they take 2nd place. They know the risks. It would be their families I pity. If they were all single men then it would be an easier choice.

Yeah its a good point you make Longman but there is a chequered history with this firm after doing some research on the net.

So Vosa should know then. Shouldn’t be up to whoever to cough and point. If they’re clever they will be looking at the same sites. I wonder if they have a couple of net monitors? Vosa spooks. :smiling_imp:

Longman:
So Vosa should know then. Shouldn’t be up to whoever to cough and point. If they’re clever they will be looking at the same sites. I wonder if they have a couple of net monitors? Vosa spooks. :smiling_imp:

I don’t think they need any Net Monitors, they call it applied intelligence or something like that. If you think about it, almost any stopping of vehicles that VOSA does results in lots getting caught. So they target the worst offenders they guess they may find, this ties up their time in paperwork, maybe court appearance etc…? I believe that when on the spot fines come in they’ll be out night and day. It’s going to be funny when that lot comes in.

Stay straight until you find another job, Its easier to find work while your in work :wink: But saying that with MugXmas coming up there wont be much shortage of work coming up.

It’s hauliers like that which are making life difficult for honest hard working hauliers trying to make a decent living. If drivers are willing to run bent, then the hauliers whom employ them will encourage it. If a driver complains about running bent to the employer, and then is ‘encouraged’ to change by the boss and drivers, then the company deserves all they get, the drivers do too. Get a job somewhere else, lifes too short to put up with that type of nonsence. They’ll get caught by VOSA soon enough.

Dont run bent! Shop em. It’s not professional.

thecoder0:
The driver is no mug and is under no ilusions that some do run bent to a certain degree BUT and here is the BIG BUT the driver is now concerened that the level of jiggery pokery is in his opinion dangerous to not only the drivers but other road users.

thecoder0:

tachograph:
are you even certain that the other drivers are running bent to the point of being dangerous on the roads, needs careful consideration before deciding.

Yes + 3 hours rest in 31 is just one example.

I think it’s fair to say that most drivers of a certain “age” have pulled the odd stroke or three. I’ll willingly put my hands up to a couple - in the past. Whether that be putting Saturday’s card in on a Friday night to do the necessary 2 hours to get home, or tipping/loading off the card for an hour or so “type of thing”

But with the advent and advance of the technologies we are now faced with - most of the “little strokes” we might have in the past pulled have become unavailable to all but the most determined. Whether that’s a good or bad thing, I leave to other people’s conscience.

Just so you would understand my own point if view - I’d argue until I’m blue in the face that I can’t accept that I’m any more “dangerous” driving at 4 hours and 35 minutes than I am at 4 hour 25 :unamused: or that I’d had 8 hours and 50 minutes “off” than 9 hours.

BUT - anyone with the slightest amount of that sometimes rare commodity of common sense would accept that lines have to be drawn somewhere.

Therefore …

Nobody wants to be known as a two faced back stabbing “chap” …

But here’s just a couple or three of many questions that could be asked during the decision process of “what to do about firms/drivers running totally bent”.

Got any kids/wives/girlfriends/loved ones/etc etc etc ?

How are you (or anyone) going feel if one of them is killed/maimed by a driver from said firm ?

How do you think I might feel about YOU if one of them is killed/maimed by a driver from said firm ?

Food for thought ?

Or a question of conscience ?

Option 1, except I’d just walk and not bother with the notice.

Bent is bent in my opinion,and companies who run like that,deserve to be put out of business.

I don’t care if the others within a company do it,I won’t risk my life/licence/livelyhood,because someone can’t adhere to the rules. :angry: And before anyone asks if I’ve ever run bent,then I can answer a categorical NEVER.

Jack the job,and ring VOSA with immediate effect,and tell them that peoples lives could be at stake,because of this companies inability to run legal,and ask them what they are going to do about it.

And when you’ve done all that,tell us how you got on. :wink:

There is no excuse for running illegally,and because of our foreign cousins causing more mayhem on the roads nowadays,the roads in this country are dangerous enough,and ANY company boss whose vehicle causes death or injury through asking employees to break the law,should be jailed for a very long time,end of.

Ken.

PS.Guess which I voted for? :laughing:

Quinny:
PS.Guess which I voted for? :laughing:

Option 2, what do I win? :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :smiley:

A week with Lucy’s Stralis. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ken.

Quinny:
A week with Lucy’s Stralis. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ken.

Nice one, a vast improvement on my current vehicle. :wink: :smiley: