roping

was just wandering how oftenroping the old fashioned way is used now (i.e dolly knots) or is it all straps these days.

i dont need either in current job but when i was doing flat bed work it was all straps for me and thats what the other guys did too. I;ve not really mastered the art of roping. Does anyone think its worth me learning maybe bookin a days course somewhere?

is roping a dying skill?

tramp:
was just wandering how oftenroping the old fashioned way is used now (i.e dolly knots) or is it all straps these days.

NOT VERY OFTEN

i dont need either in current job but when i was doing flat bed work it was all straps for me and thats what the other guys did too. I;ve not really mastered the art of roping. Does anyone think its worth me learning maybe bookin a days course somewhere?

NO - MY OLD INSTRUCTOR TAUGHT ME IN 30 MINS

is roping a dying skill?

I WOULD SAY YES

Still usefull to know how though - just in case :slight_smile:

I used to work in a pallet yard and roped all my loads. It was much quicker than using straps and I could have all ropes off, re-coiled and hanging whilst my oppo’s where still rolling their straps up. :laughing:

Someone should be able to show you and have you tying dolly knots in a few goes… just need to find someone who can do them. Get them to show you how to spread the rope too. This is useful when there’s a lack of hooks on the lorry and you need to spread between two hooks.

Iggy:
I used to work in a pallet yard and roped all my loads. It was much quicker than using straps and I could have all ropes off, re-coiled and hanging whilst my oppo’s where still rolling their straps up. :laughing:

Someone should be able to show you and have you tying dolly knots in a few goes… just need to find someone who can do them. Get them to show you how to spread the rope too. This is useful when there’s a lack of hooks on the lorry and you need to spread between two hooks.

Can’t do anything other than agree with all of that. Except perhaps to do a search on Sheeter’s posts here on TN. He posted some illustrated instructions at one point. You definitely don’t need to do an expensive course though.

Who remembers - “take the rabbit around the garden and then into it’s burrow” :question: :question:

I do,learnt to rope and sheet as a 16yr old aint done it for 19yrs now but I’m sure after an hour or so I’d be back into the swing of it,who’s daft idea were these curtain siders anyway :confused:
Simon :smiley:

i am sweating reading this topic

ROG:
Who remembers - “take the rabbit around the garden and then into it’s burrow” :question: :question:

Rog, what you do in your spare time is your business :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Nearly forgot to add, when you do see a load that has been sheeted and roped,( why it’s called roping and sheeting has always baffled me? ) it makes you feel like giving that driver a pat on the back.

Because you’re right, it is a dying art…

it actually pains me watching some poor bloke whos just driven 800 kms to our yard, pulling off his tarp and rolling it up, while i casually flick open my buckles on the tautliner and roll it open, without breaking a nail :sunglasses:

I’m with Iggy on this. I can still (even though I’m not working now) rope or untie a load quicker than most blokes can do the same with straps.

I was brought up on roping & sheeting, chains and strainers etc.,

I am now finding all this curtain and strapping malarky something new to get to grips with.

Tight sheets and good roping always gave you confidence with the load, shrinkwrapped pallets in a curtain sider without straps doesn’t seem as safe so I strap as much as I can.

Dollys have other uses too, couple of weeks ago, I put a spike in the ground, attached a rope to the top of an 8ft fence post, double dollys to the spike and pulled it upright enough to concrete it in with the post vertical.

Regards

Nig

the only roping i need now is when the missus is feeling adventurous :smiling_imp: :blush: :laughing: :laughing: :unamused:

One thing it did do for you apart from keep you fit, it allowed you to communicate with people as the bloke behind you would jump out and help you fold your sheets up. it broke the ice and made you a few friends too

Now you are lucky if you can get the sad lonely git to wind his window down. Also try and sit next to someone in a cafe now and you will be accused of invading personal space.

Not had the chance to do a dolly for a while but it will still be like falling off a bike :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:
Not had the chance to do a dolly for a while but it will still be like falling off a bike :stuck_out_tongue:

Moderator Alert!!! Family forum. :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You’re right though Malc, although I preferred to do my own roping, help from a trusted friend was good and as far as unsheeting and rolling is concerned a definite plus. Also with some of the giant sheets I have had to contend with a helping hand just to get them back on the wagon was almost a necessity.

Another bit I had almost forgot was the craic on a Saturday morning when all the drivers were in the yard together, greasing up, twitching brakes, wrapping up sheets and coiling ropes while gently ribbing the boss.

This was how the bosses found out what was happening down the road, who was doing what, and to whom

Wheel Nut:
Another bit I had almost forgot was the craic on a Saturday morning when all the drivers were in the yard together, greasing up, twitching brakes, wrapping up sheets and coiling ropes while gently ribbing the boss.

This was how the bosses found out what was happening down the road, who was doing what, and to whom

Which is why you can imagine how pleased I was to see that tradition alive and well when I came here in '99 (not the ropes and sheets of course though) with the added French touch of ham, cheese, bread, wine and coffee - but definitely the craic, always that.
All brought to an end sadly, by the 35 hour week nonsense and ministry insistence on tachos in for washing lorries. We weren’t oppressed, it wasn’t obligatory, we weren’t paid extra, we enjoyed it. Still, it gave a nice man a job who didn’t have one before.