DOLLY KNOT

own up…
if you suddenly had to swap loads,and had a flat trailer with 26 pallets to rope and sheet…assuming that you could somehow expertly or otherwise manage to cover the load up from the weather.how many of you COULDNT rope it and tie it up correctly using the normal truckie type dolly knot that you might expect everyone to know how to tie by definition of being a lorry driver in the 1st place.?
lets not go into putting the fly sheet on top and the ins and outs of whether to rope the lot before or after it goes on…
so,who cant tie a dolly knot,and if not…for what reason wouldnt you know■■?

I’ll be the first to confess, I loved the roping sheeting loads. Not to keen when it was blowing a *****n gale though :slight_smile:

I got taught how to tie a dolly not on work experience,30 years ago.
Never had to tie one since.

hated roping & sheeting cold wet,nightmare in the wind, the only good thing I can say about it is nothing ever fell off.

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=44667&p=504402#p504402

Must have tied hundreds if not thousands back in the day on a flat doing multi drop which was then called ‘groupage’ out of Felixstowe ICD and other such like places. And for Steviebyday I had a 40 drum of the smell they add to north sea gas fall of the side when the ropes came loose.

Even if you held a gun to my head I could’nt tie a dolly knot and as for roping up and sheeting a load then securing it with rope, forget it, get yourself another driver or get me a curtain sided or box trailer.
Never used a flatbed.

steviebyday:
hated roping & sheeting cold wet,nightmare in the wind, the only good thing I can say about it is nothing ever fell off.

Ive never minded roping and sheeting and the good thing about it is as you mention, you just know its going to be secure.
Its old school though and only a dying breed of drivers will know how to do it. I was taught by a Jack Richards driver who used to rope and sheet trailers all day long at the Barnards wire fence company in Norwich (long since gone sadly) going up on a pallet on a fork lift truck on tall loads…ooh H@S… :wink:

I once stopped to help a lorry driver with his sheets ,it was a cold windy day. He thanked me for helping and I said I want to be a driver some day. He said if you were my son I would kick your zb,this was about 50 years ago,have things changed?

It’s not a knot. It’s a hitch. :unamused:

Rope and sheet■■?
D’thuks that■■?,it’s the 21st century bruv I’ve got a trailer with a roof & sides :smiley:

Love how just because someone once had to tie a knot it makes him some sort of super hero,get over yourself pal…so you know how to do something that was specific to YOUR job…I’m all out of medals I’m afraid but if you pop to nobodycares.com I think they have some.

the nodding donkey:

ok mr pedantic nitpicker… :smiley:

anyhoooo…the question isnt how big a hardon you got when you were tying one it times gone buy…the question you all seem to be missing is…if you dont know how to tie one and are in the truckie indistry,then why not ,(or knot,or hitch?)■■

you might have to tie up a loose mudflap,or air deflector thats falling off,trailer doors,or curtains back in the wind…so who cant tie the knot/hitch that you would expect a felow truckie to be able to tie…or is it wrong to assume that they could??

I won’t panic, I carry ratchet straps. :sunglasses:

dieseldog999:

the nodding donkey:

ok mr pedantic nitpicker… :smiley:

anyhoooo…the question isnt how big a hardon you got when you were tying one it times gone buy…the question you all seem to be missing is…if you dont know how to tie one and are in the truckie indistry,then why not ,(or knot,or hitch?)■■

you might have to tie up a loose mudflap,or air deflector thats falling off,trailer doors,or curtains back in the wind…so who cant tie the knot/hitch that you would expect a felow truckie to be able to tie…or is it wrong to assume that they could??

Don’t be daft. Making running repairs? Good God man, you’ll be on a disciplinery before you’re back in the gate. Just call out a fitter, and sit back like the rest of us. :unamused:

ROG:
LGV TRAINING TIPS [Reworked 01/02/2022] (Read only) - #19 by rog - NEW AND WANNABE DRIVERS (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK

Those lock-over tensioners were bloody dangerous. Guy who I worked with told me drivers had been killed or injured using them.
Nearest mishap I had was a load of steel beams out of somewhere in Huddersfield. Went to tension on one of them, usual length of pipe on overlock bar, lost the grip and the pipe went flying down somewhere the other side of the trailer in the loading bay.
Thank god there wasn’t anyone in the firing line :open_mouth:

simon1958:

ROG:
LGV TRAINING TIPS [Reworked 01/02/2022] (Read only) - #19 by rog - NEW AND WANNABE DRIVERS (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK

Those lock-over tensioners were bloody dangerous. Guy who I worked with told me drivers had been killed or injured using them.
Nearest mishap I had was a load of steel beams out of somewhere in Huddersfield. Went to tension on one of them, usual length of pipe on overlock bar, lost the grip and the pipe went flying down somewhere the other side of the trailer in the loading bay.

i cant be bothered looking it up,but when you are referring to those…lock over tensioners,are you meaning those things commonly referred to as …dwangs?

xichrisxi:
Rope and sheet■■?
D’thuks that■■?,it’s the 21st century bruv I’ve got a trailer with a roof & sides :smiley:

Love how just because someone once had to tie a knot it makes him some sort of super hero,get over yourself pal…so you know how to do something that was specific to YOUR job…I’m all out of medals I’m afraid but if you pop to nobodycares.com I think they have some.

Part of the new test to get your hgv license the examiner wheels out a trolly with a selection of straps, chains and ropes on, then you’re randomly asked how to do a specific one, which might be how to to a dolly knot properly.

dieseldog999:

simon1958:

ROG:

i cant be bothered looking it up,but when you are referring to those…lock over tensioners,are you meaning those things commonly referred to as …dwangs?

Sylvesters was another name… I stand to be correctedd

simon1958:

dieseldog999:

simon1958:

ROG:

Sylvesters was another name… I stand to be correctedd

that’s what I always new them as.

bigdave789:
Even if you held a gun to my head I could’nt tie a dolly knot and as for roping up and sheeting a load then securing it with rope, forget it, get yourself another driver or get me a curtain sided or box trailer.
Never used a flatbed.

I’m exactly opposite to you Dave been driving since 1997 never done curtainsider work always flats,best thing you don’t encounter many low bridges