Well come on then!

I’m sick of hearing the same old thing, older drivers going on “you young 'un’s can’t even rope and sheet” etc. It’s getting on my nerves. It’s also true, but ask these same old drivers to teach you and they burble excuses of “can’t teach you on this, it’s just a skin” or “no call for it anymore” well I want to ruddy well learn.

Where? Is my question, can I learn this sacred art. I’ve finally given in as I’ve had to turn down two jobs in the last few days as this apparently obsolete, and no longer taught, skill is required. The companies don’t know, only the drivers I’m supposed to cover, who are off or they wouldn’t be calling me.

Tried CPC centres but apparently it’s not part of their syllabus… Well it wouldn’t be would it, what with it being useful and all.

Anyone got any clues? Or is it a closely guarded secret so all the old ■■■■■ can continue to tow their line?

securing a load is not much different wether on a flat euroliner tilt or plain curtainsider
that done assuming you need to do sheets
put the rear one on first then the front one
secure this thing somehow
then roll out fly sheet over the load
thats the one thats narrow and very long

easy

Some training companies do course’s on basic roping and sheeting, ( rope and sheet these pallets stacked at different heights etc) I know Denby’s do it in lincoln abit far out for you but there must be others do it, if not look for local hauliers that do it and ask for a bit of advice :wink:

If you are really keen to learn, go round any local firms that run flat trailers (if you can find any). Tell them you want to learn and offer to come in for free on Saturday mornings (if your hours or wallet will allow it).

A good firm will happily show/use you. The shunter will take the ■■■■ but at least you will learn.

Perhaps you should set your sights a little higher and try a couple of local Heavy Haulage outfits too?

Sadly in this Industry it’s not only what you know but who you know, so it can’t do any harm to introduce yourself can it?

Good Luck, Al

Scarab:
older drivers going on “you young 'un’s can’t even rope and sheet” etc.

I can’t play a ukulele, but then I don’t have to do that for a living either.