Good Roping & Sheeting, Errrr NOT

shot this pic the other day, i cant belive how he’s got away with this & the ropes that were used, well it wasn’t rope it was elasticated cord that used to be used securing sheets on tippers back in the 80s 90s, & there was only 1 ratchet strap around the back. the guy wasn’t a young lad either.

cheers
gaz

DSC06756a.JPG

I think you should have more respect ,its Denniss first day back on the road since he sold Bewicks hes just lost his way a little … i best go get my hard hat :wink:

It looks like he has made the best out of a bad job to me maybe, it was probs all the kit he had and was chucked in the deep end, at least he has got the sheet tight as far as I can see, I’ve had trailers arrive from the Continent before that resembled air baloons which I have had to re-sheet, maybe not as secure as it could be but that depends on what it is, it could be empty plastic containers or summet for all we know, and he’s had to save his only strap for the back 2 pallets.

unless the rope hooks are rated it would have been deemed illegal anyway so he aint used rope he’s used elasticated cord that would give to an extent therefore the rope hooks rating wont come into play :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: nicely loaded though

just to add if no part of the load moved or fell off the trailer the driver cant be done for an insecure load

Hey it wasnt one of our’s from Rushock was it …

Lad did say ( remember anyone under 50 = lad to me )

" Ive never “Roped & Sheeted” before boss, as he got handed the job by the TM !!

As he was in a hurry to get going:

The only advise I could give him, was put the Rear-Sheet on 1st (and explain why)

and secondly, why take a photo, would have been more meaningful to get out & help him.
i.e if that goes t*ts up further up the motorway, he’ll be closing the road, your most likely be wanting to use latter !.

de 2xQ

At least its tight & with air suspension it don’t fall off anyway.
a great friend has a saying
cant fall off officer nothing holding it on
Have you put any pics of your rope & sheet loads on here.

ramone:
I think you should have more respect ,its Denniss first day back on the road since he sold Bewicks hes just lost his way a little … i best go get my hard hat :wink:

You are a cheeky bleeder “ramone”,as if I’d put my name to a disgracful effort like that ! :blush: :blush: :blush: :wink: Oh! heres one I did earlier to-day,now that fly sheet is tight as in “crabs arse at 100 fathoms” :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

ramone:

You are a cheeky bleeder “ramone”,as if I’d put my name to a disgracful effort like that ! :blush: :blush: :blush: :wink: Oh! heres one I did earlier to-day,now that fly sheet is tight as in “crabs arse at 100 fathoms” :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: Cheers Dennis.

I knew id get a reaction Dennis :wink: ,dont know if youve noticed but just lately all sheeted loads are strapped not a rope in sight it just doesn`t look right and why do they strap over the sheet rather than the load itself surely the sheets wont last long

Can’t say as I’ve seen a rope in our yard for ten years or more and roping up used to be a daily job.

ramone:

Bewick:

ramone:

I knew id get a reaction Dennis :wink: ,dont know if youve noticed but just lately all sheeted loads are strapped not a rope in sight it just doesn`t look right and why do they strap over the sheet rather than the load itself surely the sheets wont last long

It looks to me “ramone” that the whole job has gone down the “■■■■■■■■■■ don’t understand all this bollox about “rating” rope hooks etc.of all the trailers we ran I can’t re-call any rope hooks breaking,ever!!I reckon there are more loads “dropped” on the road to-day than ever there were when roping and sheeting was the only,and the accepted, means of securing loads.And as for strapping over the sheets,well anything goes to-day,there’s not much pride left in the job anymore except in small pockets around the country,I’m thinking in particular of Mike Ponsonby at Tamworth as a shining example of the old art! :sunglasses: Cheers Dennis.

Trev_H:
Can’t say as I’ve seen a rope in our yard for ten years or more and roping up used to be a daily job.

The modern driver wouldn’t have a clue how to use them Trev so no wonder they’ve been kicked into touch,plus the “instructors” of to-day couldn’t use them either :blush: :blush: Cheers Dennis.

I hope nobody takes pics of my loads! I only passed my test in October and was thrown in at the deep end and have had to sheet up on a few of the jobs I’ve done! Tried my best but they are far from pretty and I’m happy as long as the sheets not flapping in the wind!!

Luke222:
I hope nobody takes pics of my loads! I only passed my test in October and was thrown in at the deep end and have had to sheet up on a few of the jobs I’ve done! Tried my best but they are far from pretty and I’m happy as long as the sheets not flapping in the wind!!

Everyone starts somewhere but the difference today is that most would sooner see you fail rather than help you out ,for some reason they think it makes them look better.A few years back most would advise you ,i learnt from my dad at an early age but to be fair quite a few now wouldnt know themselves .Not all before anyone starts

Luke222:

Probably theres no one on your firm that can show you anyway Luke,it’s bad form to just sling you in at the deep end and bloody dangerous I would add! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Cheers Bewick.

As an aside, not a lot has been said about folding your sheets correctly when unloaded, and how it makes life a lot easier when on top of a load to sheet it up, if your 13 or 14 ft up on windy day, I’m confident Dennis will agree with that, nothing worse than being on top of a load struggling with sheets that another driver had badly folded.

Ossie

OssieD:
As an aside, not a lot has been said about folding your sheets correctly when unloaded, and how it makes life a lot easier when on top of a load to sheet it up, if your 13 or 14 ft up on windy day, I’m confident Dennis will agree with that, nothing worse than being on top of a load struggling with sheets that another driver had badly folded.

Ossie

With all this H & S b/s,are you allowed to be on top of the load these days?
Can’t think of a good way of sheeting without getting up there!

Just posted this on Past, Present etc and hopefully it is of interest on this thread, two typical wheelmen of the day, dungarees, rolled up shirt sleeves and more than likely tackety boots. Looks like a proper rope and sheet job, I leave it to those who know better :slight_smile: John Rhind another Aberdeen firm that ran south regularly.
Cheers
Oily

Ronnie Cameron Leyland John Rhind 7674602320_68191392df_b...jpg

tetragaz:
shot this pic the other day, i cant belive how he’s got away with this & the ropes that were used, well it wasn’t rope it was elasticated cord that used to be used securing sheets on tippers back in the 80s 90s, & there was only 1 ratchet strap around the back. the guy wasn’t a young lad either.

cheers
gaz

Sorry to p*ss on your fun, lads, but I think I can see the end of a proper rope between axles one and two of the trailer. This could mean that he has roped the thing properly but that the other ropes are hidden by those elastic thingies. What do you reckon?

Retired Old ■■■■:

tetragaz:

cheers
gaz

Sorry to p*ss on your fun, lads, but I think I can see the end of a proper rope between axles one and two of the trailer. This could mean that he has roped the thing properly but that the other ropes are hidden by those elastic thingies. What do you reckon?

retired old ■■■■
had a closer look & i can’t see any proper rope mate.

bewick
very nice roping & sheeting job there mate.

tribsa
no i haven’t put any pics of my roping & sheeting on here because i couldn’t afford a camera in those days, & i don’t/can’t do roping & sheeting anymore.

cheers
gaz

Thanks for the compliment Gaz,but sheeting and roping is like riding a bike,you never forget how to ! I could just set about sheeting and roping a load right now,even though the last time was teens of years ago,it might take me a little bit longer (defo!) and I would be very careful to do every thing “spot on” as “H” could pop round the corner just as I was finishing the fly sheet,and he would say summat like “what a bag of ■■■■■■ if you think I’m setting off down the road with that,forget it,now get it stripped and I’ll show you how !! :blush: :blush: :blush: Cheers Bewick.