Rookie mistake!

Today I discovered that Snooper isn’t to be believed, and also that my standard fridge trailer WILL fit under a 13’ 3" arched bridge! :blush:

Like a nob I blindly followed the evil box to a new drop (Southover food Co at BN42 4 EN). I wasn’t too keen on the ridiculously tight right turn onto a residential street but against my better judgement took it. (Why don’t they put the low bridge sign right on the junction as opposed to 500 metres from the bridge?) Anyhoo I looked at the bridge and I looked at the only available road to reverse into and saw all the locals rubbing their hands with glee thinking “ha, another dik who follows sat nav” and thought “sod it, its bloody well going under!”

So I dropped the unit suspension, eased it under and hey presto emerged like an unscathed trucking God from the other side.

I had visions of the pictures appearing here and me keeping very quiet. :blush:

This is the stomach churning view I had as I rapidly thumbed through my Ladybird book of excuses!

Heh, top man :sunglasses:

Dropped suspenders make the difference, on the subject of which clocked me first full set for i don’t know how many years couple weeks ago :smiling_imp: , top girl :laughing:
Did you clamber monkey like up the back of the cab to see if the trailer would miss?

Juddian:
Heh, top man :sunglasses:

Dropped suspenders make the difference, on the subject of which clocked me first full set for i don’t know how many years couple weeks ago :smiling_imp: , top girl :laughing:
Did you clamber monkey like up the back of the cab to see if the trailer would miss?

And get covered in brick dust like I did doing the very same thing :laughing:

OK I will probably get ridiculed for this …but here goes…First well done for getting under the bridge ,not being a professional driver ,my pants would probably have filled up …but being a coward ,I probably wouldn’t have gone down that road …That isn’t criticism …But here is where I will probably get ridiculed ,as I do not know how fat they measure ,and how accurate they are …But would one of those laser measuring tapes help in a situation like that ■■? Stick your yellow vest on ,as then you are invincible apparently ,stand in the middle of the road and quickly measure the height …I know it sound stupid ,but surely anything is better than being stuck under it …Got me helmet and body armour on …go for it :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Surely a Eddie stobart approach would be better flat out [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Personally I’d have reversed back to “The Twitten” and backed in there…better to look a ■■■■ than being a ■■■■ with no job!!
Once you’re stuck you’re stuck that’s it game over…Police out ect ect,glad it worked out for you though.

Out of interest maoster ,if it did go wrong ,would you have admitted it ■■?

Snooper has thrown me some crazy turns on the past.

I get the feeling when considering routes it only factors in vehicle dimensions when there is a posted restriction.

So if you’ve a 11 mtr wagon and a 6 mtr wheelbase (me) it will still try to get you to turn into a chicaned, minor unclassified single track road (like it did with me) …

Git.

I have no idea how high a standard fridge trailer is, so I’m gonna ask.

How high was your trailer? And if you tell me 12 foot, your hero status WILL disappear!!

Ours measure at 13’ 2" and change when loaded so as long as the bridge is 13’ 3" as marked it will fit under but i don’t know if I’d be brave enough to try :laughing:

Captain Caveman 76:
I have no idea how high a standard fridge trailer is, so I’m gonna ask.

How high was your trailer? And if you tell me 12 foot, your hero status WILL disappear!!

Normally around 13ft10

the maoster:
This is the stomach churning view I had as I rapidly thumbed through my Ladybird book of excuses![stobarts could of got a dd under that]

I can imagine this soundtrack playing in the background as you approached the bridge youtu.be/WXh1tW16V-8

This sort of confirms my views that satnavs are a waste of money and time. Use a road map, call the company you are going to, ask other drivers and if you are no nearer, use the map on your smart phone.
By the way ! … It’s law that all bridges in the UK must be at least 3 inches higher than posted on the signs.

norb:
Out of interest maoster ,if it did go wrong ,would you have admitted it ■■?

Nah, I’d have just asked any passers by if this was where they want the bridge delivered to! :smiley:

Juddian I didn’t get out prior tbh, as mentioned I dropped the arse end of the unit, turned the radio off, opened windows and sunroof and crept through. Obviously if it’d made any untoward noises then plan B would have come into action.

I actually was pretty confident that it’d fit, the only fly in the ointment being it was an arch bridge with a slight bend in the road immediately prior to it. Once I dominated the road and got it straight it was all cool.

Co policy is that we set our height indicators at 13’ 3", but having previously measured one with a tape I’d risk a 13’ 2" at a push.

Brave man. respec innit.

My transporter measured exactly 13’ 3" empty (so long as the top deck safety rails were below the pillars) and i came upon a 13’3" bridge that looked particularly low, quiet road so i nudged the posts up to it and nipped up top, around 2" clearance, so from that day on i went through at 50mph which must have looked pretty scary to anyone watching :open_mouth:

Arch bridges nasty but with cars being that much narrower than the body we did have a bit of leeway, luckily same thing with the tanks :sunglasses:

Juddian:
Brave man. respec innit.

My transporter measured exactly 13’ 3" empty (so long as the top deck safety rails were below the pillars) and i came upon a 13’3" bridge that looked particularly low, quiet road so i nudged the posts up to it and nipped up top, around 2" clearance, so from that day on i went through at 50mph which must have looked pretty scary to anyone watching :open_mouth:

That’s all good till they resurface the road and stick 3" of tarmac down :laughing:

^^^^ :open_mouth: :blush: :blush: :laughing:

I used to run with 13"6 fridges and used to go under 13"6 bridges with no hassel.