Road Services (Forth)

macdangerous:

stravaiger:

Lovely photo Jim. That’s a Lancashire flat on the trailer isn’t it? Must have been a hard shift trunking in those old motors.

I’m sure Forth used to run a lot of whisky under bond in the old crown-locked van system. Anybody confirm that? Dewars of Perth and Haigs of Markinch come to mind.

Cracking thread guys!

Confirmed ,Vic.

Bewick:

The mechanic:
The photo stavaiger posted with the beaver in carnation colours is owned by Jim Doig from Dumfries,he was responsible for organising classic vehicle runs from that area.That photo was taken on a friday run to Preston and back which was to replicate the trunk that was done by the Cally in the sixties.Jim used to stay opposite the Glasgow Road depot and gave me some photos of Cally vehicles in the sixties as Iworked at the Abington depot for two years after leaving school in 1966.The ERF following him was owned and driven by me.

Is your ERF an ex S&N dray motor Robert? Their garage in Kendal was near where I grew up and there was a load of those “little sewing machines” based there.If it is an ex S&N motor don’t worry about getting home if you’ve,er,over imbibed! Thoes little motors used to do 8 or 10 pub deliveries a day and I can tell you those draymen got a skinfull every day and were still in the local boozers on their way home at finishing time!!!I think if you were to look carfully there will be an early design of “automatic pilot” device somewhere on the chassis!!! Cheers Dennis.

It was Dennis,an LKV 44G 9tons gross BSC790B.Isold it a few years ago to a guy from Preston who ran bulkers. I can’t r
remember his name just now,Ronnie something.

The mechanic:

Bewick:

The mechanic:
The photo stavaiger posted with the beaver in carnation colours is owned by Jim Doig from Dumfries,he was responsible for organising classic vehicle runs from that area.That photo was taken on a friday run to Preston and back which was to replicate the trunk that was done by the Cally in the sixties.Jim used to stay opposite the Glasgow Road depot and gave me some photos of Cally vehicles in the sixties as Iworked at the Abington depot for two years after leaving school in 1966.The ERF following him was owned and driven by me.

Is your ERF an ex S&N dray motor Robert? Their garage in Kendal was near where I grew up and there was a load of those “little sewing machines” based there.If it is an ex S&N motor don’t worry about getting home if you’ve,er,over imbibed! Thoes little motors used to do 8 or 10 pub deliveries a day and I can tell you those draymen got a skinfull every day and were still in the local boozers on their way home at finishing time!!!I think if you were to look carfully there will be an early design of “automatic pilot” device somewhere on the chassis!!! Cheers Dennis.

It was Dennis,an LKV 44G 9tons gross BSC790B.Isold it a few years ago to a guy from Preston who ran bulkers. I can’t r
remember his name just now,Ronnie something.

Robert I forgot to ask,did the ERF have a five speed box and Eaton 2speed axle? and what payload would you get at 9 tons GVW ? Dennis.

Here it is from August 2010 at the British Leyland day rally @ Chorley.Still going and looking well.

It did Dennis five speed David Brown and Eaton axle.Payload would be under six tons.S@N stopped using them when three men drays came into operation.At first the third man had to sit on the bonnet and the screen still shows the scratches from their boots.It would only do 42MPH on the road runs but it would return 25mpg.Heres a photo of how I got it.During the time I had it I must have spent close to £10000 on the restoration and engine overhaul.

Bewick:
I had a couple of lads at Bewick Transport that were ex Caledonian,Dumfries and Mckinnons,Kilmarnock, Duncan McMinn was ex Cally and “Big” Dave McMurtrie was ex McKinnon.Both were excellent drivers who knew their job inside out!! Duncan lived in Kendal and “Big” Dave in Preston.Both of them talked about their “experiences” driving the “Snowcats” and struggling up Shap fell ect.Drivers of their quaility are a dying breed unfortunately.Bewick.

here are some of the ‘snowcats’…

snowcat2.jpg

snowcat3.jpg

snowcat.jpg

hi ,new a few of the drivers that worked for caledonian road services when they did all the work out of weyroc annan and hexham, Aiden Taylor, alan Robson, Jesse James, jimmy and billy blackburn, they also had a depot at the felling gateshead, believe some of s-c-cook (tayforth)consett moved there after consett depot closed, think the felling depot closed mid 80tys,seemed a good outfit to work for,bumper

The mechanic:
It did Dennis five speed David Brown and Eaton axle.Payload would be under six tons.S@N stopped using them when three men drays came into operation.At first the third man had to sit on the bonnet and the screen still shows the scratches from their boots.It would only do 42MPH on the road runs but it would return 25mpg.Heres a photo of how I got it.During the time I had it I must have spent close to £10000 on the restoration and engine overhaul.

Thanks for that Robert.S & N had quite a sizeable fleet based in Kendal,years ago,they had bought out a local brewer after the war and it was a fairly big concern.IIRC they kept the bottling plant and the beer came down from Edinburgh by tanker.They also ran a number of ERF 8wheeler flats as well as the ERF dray fleet. J.B.Hudson used to work for them on the haulage side in the 50s and early 60s,I used to see their 8 wheelers backed in the bays on Beezon road in Kendal where the bottling plant was and still is in fact,but it belongs to another firm now.Cheers Dennis.

v7robbie:

Bewick:
I had a couple of lads at Bewick Transport that were ex Caledonian,Dumfries and Mckinnons,Kilmarnock, Duncan McMinn was ex Cally and “Big” Dave McMurtrie was ex McKinnon.Both were excellent drivers who knew their job inside out!! Duncan lived in Kendal and “Big” Dave in Preston.Both of them talked about their “experiences” driving the “Snowcats” and struggling up Shap fell ect.Drivers of their quaility are a dying breed unfortunately.Bewick.

I used to fuel these up at the Cally at Abington when I started there in 1966.They used to loup in the air when pulling away from the pump.

stravaiger:
Look what flatman has just posted.Thanks :smiley: As a matter of interest where did the BRS operate this Roadtrain from as I’m sure it was '82 that we were helping to move stuff from the Caledonian depot?

jim

That Roadtrain was a Dumfries depot truck. It has the Dumfries depot code LD on the side locker door followed by G which meant it was on general haulage.

The mechanic:

v7robbie:

Bewick:

I used to fuel these up at the Cally at Abington when I started there in 1966.They used to loup in the air when pulling away from the pump.

A lot of lads on here won’t know what “loup” means Robert!!! We had an ERF A series that was prone to the same thing if you set of on a bank a bit smart!! Dennis.

Bewick:

The mechanic:

v7robbie:

Bewick:

A lot of lads on here won’t know what “loup” means Robert!!! We had an ERF A series that was prone to the same thing if you set of on a bank a bit smart!! Dennis.

Is that the same as dancing or am i way off mark?

ramone:

Bewick:

The mechanic:

v7robbie:

Bewick:

Its is ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ dialect for “leap”, “Hasta iver seen a cuddy lowp ( loup) a five barred yeat” I think this could be the start of another thread,----- why aye man!!! Dennis.

Bewick:

ramone:

Bewick:

The mechanic:

v7robbie:

Bewick:

Its is ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ dialect for “leap”, “Hasta iver seen a cuddy lowp ( loup) a five barred yeat” I think this could be the start of another thread,----- why aye man!!! Dennis.

yep its what i knew has dancing…i think :open_mouth:

Heres a more up to date one

image112_jpg%20128.jpg

did caladonian have a depod at townhead street lockerbie
running milk tankers
long time ago taking meat down 2 smithfield

presto51:
did caladonian have a depod at townhead street lockerbie
running milk tankers
long time ago taking meat down 2 smithfield

Yes on the milk,not sure about the meat. Used to fill up there in the 60s.vic ex tayforth.

bumper:
hi ,new a few of the drivers that worked for caledonian road services when they did all the work out of weyroc annan and hexham, Aiden Taylor, alan Robson, Jesse James, jimmy and billy blackburn, they also had a depot at the felling gateshead, believe some of s-c-cook (tayforth)consett moved there after consett depot closed, think the felling depot closed mid 80tys,seemed a good outfit to work for,bumper

hi bumper, my late dad tommy morgan drove for caledonion at felling for years ,i used to go with him in school hols ,
remember loads of lads jones the manager ,calvert , we used to go up to Prudhoe to see the blackburn’s sometimes he would come home with a scotch driver to stay the night much to the suprise of my mam.
he also worked for capstaff , spillers and ended up at fergies until he retired .

a weyroc truck looking pretty sad.

acab:

stravaiger:
Look what flatman has just posted.Thanks :smiley: As a matter of interest where did the BRS operate this Roadtrain from as I’m sure it was '82 that we were helping to move stuff from the Caledonian depot?

jim

That Roadtrain was a Dumfries depot truck. It has the Dumfries depot code LD on the side locker door followed by G which meant it was on general haulage.

was thisthe truck driven by stoury mcclure mr personality at the caly