Road Services (Forth)

Dennis heres the photo i said i’d put on in the PM i sent you,not very good as it is an old print ,it shows Les and his wife at Wilf Charltons retirment,the back of the head is Dennis C,it was in the Old English Gentleman a long time ago.Do you remember the night?

5thwheel:

v7victor:

retriever:

All taken by Roger Kenney

Sorry, I do not know the locations but I hope the above images bring back memories for some. By the way who knows the name of the dog?

Hiya, the name of the dog was Sheena, she was the guard dog at Darlington depot, this is where the photo taken,not sure about others, i worked for the Forth 69 till73,at Darlington .Vic.

Why didnt the Albions benefit from a front bumper,different pictures of different Albions in Forth colours,both of which no bumpers?

David :confused:

Hi David,
In answer to your question , re: Albions with no bumpers, there is a straightforward answer ( in 2 parts) . :confused:

The first , is that a front bumper was an optional extra fitment for L.A.D. Albions.
The second part is,…that Scotsmen saved themselves a few bob by not buying a front bumper , thus also
saving more money by not having to buy a tin of paint for it. :laughing:

The first part is true , but I`m not too certain about the second. :unamused:

Cheers, cattle wagon man

Know what CM ,i’m pleased i worked for the english side of the company :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

my dad jimmy brennan worked for Caledonian at felling depot most of the work was out of weyroc at hexham the only name I can remember was tommy morgan he used to come to our house and have apint or three at our local.when cally finished my dad transferred to siddle cook consett he said cally was best job he ever had. :smiley:

One here not a Forth photo but the same group :exclamation:

581844_363753290424542_1672248577_n.jpg

v7victor:

We want shots of the Albion Snowcats Vic,not this rubbish :cry: :blush: :wink: Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

v7victor:

We want shots of the Albion Snowcats Vic,not this rubbish :cry: :blush: :wink: Cheers Dennis.

Theres not many about Dennis,they have all been on,but heres one you might of missed, the second motor coming through the gate at Darlington depot gate 69 ish when i had just started there :astonished:

v7victor:

Bewick:

v7victor:

Theres not many about Dennis,they have all been on,but heres one you might of missed, the second motor coming through the gate at Darlington depot gate 69 ish when i had just started there :astonished:

It looks like summat out of a cartoon peeping round the corner there Vic,used to see many of them passing up and down through Kendal “when I were a lad” :wink: Cheers Dennis.

my uncle davy johnstone caledonian foden taken on the whitesands dumfries ,

I wonder if anyone can help me. My late father worked died 11 years ago and was a panel beater with Caledonian Road Services in Dumfries from mid 50’s till they closed in late 70’s. I am desperately after any photos stories contacts… anything that can help me trace my few distant memories of my time with my dad in the trucks.

I remember sitting in some GUY BIG J’s and running a round the trailer park in Dumfries, but I was very young around the age of 5-7 years old so my meories are few and far between.

I do remember they also had some trucks from the Forth group there and also a company called McKinnon from Kilmarnock area possibly?

I think Forth were based in Denny /Stirling area.

I would be very grateful for any photos, and would pay gladly for them so I could have something for my memories.

Hoping someone out there can help

Kindest regards

Grantsharkey157@msn.com

flybynite:
I wonder if anyone can help me. My late father worked died 11 years ago and was a panel beater with Caledonian Road Services in Dumfries from mid 50’s till they closed in late 70’s. I am desperately after any photos stories contacts… anything that can help me trace my few distant memories of my time with my dad in the trucks.

I remember sitting in some GUY BIG J’s and running a round the trailer park in Dumfries, but I was very young around the age of 5-7 years old so my meories are few and far between.

I do remember they also had some trucks from the Forth group there and also a company called McKinnon from Kilmarnock area possibly?

I think Forth were based in Denny /Stirling area.

I would be very grateful for any photos, and would pay gladly for them so I could have something for my memories.

Hoping someone out there can help

Kindest regards

Grantsharkey157@msn.com

Hi Grant, Welcome to Trucknet.
I worked for Road Services Forth, early 70’s Falkirk Depot, they also had a Depot in Alloa.
It was also known as Tayforth Group within The BRS.

I am sorry that I have no photo’s, but I am sure that some on here will have.

Dave.

The photo stavaiger posted with the beaver in carnation colours is owned by Jim Doig from Dumfries,he was responsible for organising classic vehicle runs from that area.That photo was taken on a friday run to Preston and back which was to replicate the trunk that was done by the Cally in the sixties.Jim used to stay opposite the Glasgow Road depot and gave me some photos of Cally vehicles in the sixties as Iworked at the Abington depot for two years after leaving school in 1966.The ERF following him was owned and driven by me.

I see that a number of site users have an interest in Road Services (Forth), so I have added a few bits and pieces as I remember them.

RSF originally had their HO at Denny where they operated tippers for the local quarries. This was managed by Jim McFarlane, Jack McDonald and Frank Taylor. When they set up Burnbank Road depot at Bainsford Falkirk, they closed Denny and all moved across. Their Managing Director at this time was Andrew Dunn (Car registration RSF 1 ) and Bill Young who was ultimately made Group Company Secretary. Bainsford ran all of the tippers and tankers as well as general haulage vehicles

They also had a depot at Alloa run by Jimmy Cameron, Stirling run by Archie Mitchell, Leven run by John Watson, Edinburgh run b y Jeff Fox, Glasgow run by Bobby Templeman followed by George Mackay as well as Liverpool run by Jimmy Camerons brother , Radcliffe depot, Darlington depot, and one they shared with Road Services (Caledonian) at 88 Lots Road Chelsea.

Jeff Fox went on to run Pollocks of Musselburgh, (not part of the group) but returned to RSF after two years. Frank Taylor went on to run McKinnon of Kilmarnock which was by now part of the Tayforth Group run by Walter Ronald Alexander, owner of Bluebird Buses and W. Alexander bodybuilders.

Other members of Tayforth were Bell and Co Edinburgh, Watsons of Bishop Aukland, Siddle C Cook of Consett and of course Road Services (Caledonian) of Dumfries, who had depots in Lockerbie, Abington, Preston, Immingham, Glasgow and Chelsea and their MD was Tommy Atkins (Car registration 2 SM)

stravaiger:

Lovely photo Jim. That’s a Lancashire flat on the trailer isn’t it? Must have been a hard shift trunking in those old motors.

I’m sure Forth used to run a lot of whisky under bond in the old crown-locked van system. Anybody confirm that? Dewars of Perth and Haigs of Markinch come to mind.

Cracking thread guys!

And Fifthbridge…

Cheers for that info, it was all news to me. I never realised that Forth & Caledonian started off as ‘genuine’ hauliers. I had thought they came about as part of the BRS/nationalisation scheme.

You live and learn…

The mechanic:
The photo stavaiger posted with the beaver in carnation colours is owned by Jim Doig from Dumfries,he was responsible for organising classic vehicle runs from that area.That photo was taken on a friday run to Preston and back which was to replicate the trunk that was done by the Cally in the sixties.Jim used to stay opposite the Glasgow Road depot and gave me some photos of Cally vehicles in the sixties as Iworked at the Abington depot for two years after leaving school in 1966.The ERF following him was owned and driven by me.

Is your ERF an ex S&N dray motor Robert? Their garage in Kendal was near where I grew up and there was a load of those “little sewing machines” based there.If it is an ex S&N motor don’t worry about getting home if you’ve,er,over imbibed! Thoes little motors used to do 8 or 10 pub deliveries a day and I can tell you those draymen got a skinfull every day and were still in the local boozers on their way home at finishing time!!!I think if you were to look carfully there will be an early design of “automatic pilot” device somewhere on the chassis!!! Cheers Dennis.

I had a couple of lads at Bewick Transport that were ex Caledonian,Dumfries and Mckinnons,Kilmarnock, Duncan McMinn was ex Cally and “Big” Dave McMurtrie was ex McKinnon.Both were excellent drivers who knew their job inside out!! Duncan lived in Kendal and “Big” Dave in Preston.Both of them talked about their “experiences” driving the “Snowcats” and struggling up Shap fell ect.Drivers of their quaility are a dying breed unfortunately.Bewick.

fifthbridge:
I see that a number of site users have an interest in Road Services (Forth), so I have added a few bits and pieces as I remember them.

RSF originally had their HO at Denny where they operated tippers for the local quarries. This was managed by Jim McFarlane, Jack McDonald and Frank Taylor. When they set up Burnbank Road depot at Bainsford Falkirk, they closed Denny and all moved across. Their Managing Director at this time was Andrew Dunn (Car registration RSF 1 ) and Bill Young who was ultimately made Group Company Secretary. Bainsford ran all of the tippers and tankers as well as general haulage vehicles

They also had a depot at Alloa run by Jimmy Cameron, Stirling run by Archie Mitchell, Leven run by John Watson, Edinburgh run b y Jeff Fox, Glasgow run by Bobby Templeman followed by George Mackay as well as Liverpool run by Jimmy Camerons brother , Radcliffe depot, Darlington depot, and one they shared with Road Services (Caledonian) at 88 Lots Road Chelsea.

Jeff Fox went on to run Pollocks of Musselburgh, (not part of the group) but returned to RSF after two years. Frank Taylor went on to run McKinnon of Kilmarnock which was by now part of the Tayforth Group run by Walter Ronald Alexander, owner of Bluebird Buses and W. Alexander bodybuilders.

Other members of Tayforth were Bell and Co Edinburgh, Watsons of Bishop Aukland, Siddle C Cook of Consett and of course Road Services (Caledonian) of Dumfries, who had depots in Lockerbie, Abington,Preston, Immingham, Glasgow and Chelsea and their MD was Tommy Atkins (Car registration 2 SM)

You must have worked for Tayforth with all this info as i did, Jimmy Cameron [crazy horse as we called him was some bloke] .I think all you left out was Les Boyd Darlinton manager,Caledonian had a depot at Edmonton and Watsons were at Spennymoor.Vic ,ex tayforth 60s/70s.