Road Services (Forth)

I have just reread Harold Bridges book again and the subsequent takeover by Tayforth, he did well out the sale, not sure about them! If anyone gets chance to read it, it has some interesting old transport stuff in it.

haroldandalicebridgescharity … story.html

Wheel Nut:
I have just reread Harold Bridges book again and the subsequent takeover by Tayforth, he did well out the sale, not sure about them! If anyone gets chance to read it, it has some interesting old transport stuff in it.

haroldandalicebridgescharity … story.html

Photo of Dumfries depot,i can’t remember how i came by this one.

img695.jpg

All taken by Roger Kenney

Sorry, I do not know the locations but I hope the above images bring back memories for some. By the way who knows the name of the dog?

retriever:

Sorry, I do not know the locations but I hope the above images bring back memories for some. By the way who knows the name of the dog?

Hiya, the name of the dog was Sheena, she was the guard dog at Darlington depot, this is where the photo taken,not sure about others, i worked for the Forth 69 till73,at Darlington .Vic.

Hello Vic

Thanks for the information about the dog’s name and depot location.

Regards

Retriever

Hi flybynite, If you look on boballoa fotki site, I am sure he has a lot of forth photos.

flybynite:
I wonder if anyone can help me. My late father worked died 11 years ago and was a panel beater with Caledonian Road Services in Dumfries from mid 50’s till they closed in late 70’s. I am desperately after any photos stories contacts… anything that can help me trace my few distant memories of my time with my dad in the trucks.

I remember sitting in some GUY BIG J’s and running a round the trailer park in Dumfries, but I was very young around the age of 5-7 years old so my meories are few and far between.

I do remember they also had some trucks from the Forth group there and also a company called McKinnon from Kilmarnock area possibly?

I think Forth were based in Denny /Stirling area.

I would be very grateful for any photos, and would pay gladly for them so I could have something for my memories.

Hoping someone out there can help

Kindest regards

Grantsharkey157@msn.com

Another one, your dad might of known this man.

One i found on a TN thread to keep this thread up to scratch.

untitled.png

Hiya Vic, some good ones there so here,s the two of my BigJ at Darlington before we closed down, DennisR

Here,s my Big J again, there wasn’t much room in these cabs tho, DennisR

DennisR:
Hiya Vic, some good ones there so here,s the two of my BigJ at Darlington before we closed down, DennisR

Hi Dennis,thers some good stuff on the other thread Road Services Forth (Leven) photo’s, if you havent seen them have a look.Vic.

my uncle Jimmy drove for Smiths of Darvel, who I think were taken over by McKinnons of Kilmarnock. he was there for years before they shut the gates. HE done mainly whisky to London, leaving on a Sunday and getting back about Thursday. He then went to work for Bees.

DADDY LONGLEGS:
my uncle Jimmy drove for Smiths of Darvel, who I think were taken over by McKinnons of Kilmarnock. he was there for years before they shut the gates. HE done mainly whisky to London, leaving on a Sunday and getting back about Thursday. He then went to work for Bees.

Hiya DL,two of our best drivers at Bewick Transport over the years came from McKinnons and the Caledonian,Dave McMurtrie had driven for Mckinnons and Duncan McMinn for the Cally in Dumfries great drivers and immaculate at sheeting and roping !! Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:

DADDY LONGLEGS:

Hiya DL,two of our best drivers at Bewick Transport over the years came from McKinnons and the Caledonian,Dave McMurtrie had driven for Mckinnons and Duncan McMinn for the Cally in Dumfries great drivers and immaculate at sheeting and roping !! Cheers Bewick.

Yea Dennis,in them days we had a lot of CLVs(crown lockup vans) for the whisky job,but a lot still got moved on f/trailers,i was on night trunk for a while,it was a bit panicky running down from Dumfries or Alloa on your own with 20 ton of it on a flat trailer in the middle of the night.P.S.It was on the whisky that i done my first sheeting and roping, Vic. D.L.I can’t place your uncle but it was about 44 years ago and there was a good few Jimmy’s up in scotland :confused: :slight_smile:

Aye your correct there was a lot of Jimmys in Scotland some real nice blokes among them, But the worst one I knew was a Jimmy Kay he was the loading dock foreman at the Carnation Milk Works (General Milk Products in those days) in Dumfries, He thought he was god, & He expected all the drivers to dance to his tune, the boxes had to be straight & of course loaded up with the name Carnation up the right way, if they were upsidedown he would make sure that you put them the right way up, This was in the 50/60s era, Any of you old Cally, Browns of Lochmaben, Robsons Carlisle, Baxters, (Waughies) remember him, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Aye your correct there was a lot of Jimmys in Scotland some real nice blokes among them, But the worst one I knew was a Jimmy Kay he was the loading dock foreman at the Carnation Milk Works (General Milk Products in those days) in Dumfries, He thought he was god, & He expected all the drivers to dance to his tune, the boxes had to be straight & of course loaded up with the name Carnation up the right way, if they were upsidedown he would make sure that you put them the right way up, This was in the 50/60s era, Any of you old Cally, Browns of Lochmaben, Robsons Carlisle, Baxters, (Waughies) remember him, Regards Larry.

Aye Larry,i think it was bit early for me,i started in late 69 left in72,DennisR may remember him but maybe not as we started at Forth about the same time,but he stayed till the end.The Jimmy we would remember most would be Jimmy (crazyhorse)Cameron,Larry you talk about whisky this man drunk it by the pint pot full!!!.Did you ever load back off Tayforth at Alloa he was the manager there at that time.Vic.

v7victor:

retriever:

Hiya, the name of the dog was Sheena, she was the guard dog at Darlington depot, this is where the photo taken,not sure about others, i worked for the Forth 69 till73,at Darlington .Vic.

Why didnt the Albions benefit from a front bumper,different pictures of different Albions in Forth colours,both of which no bumpers?

David :confused:

Hiya in the 60’s the road tax was paid on a scale of the tare weight. maybe the weight of the bumper
just put the unit into the next catargary. after a check weigh, owners would fasten bits back on which
had been removed earlier. maybe forth didn’t bother or wanted to stay legal…
John

3300John:
Hiya in the 60’s the road tax was paid on a scale of the tare weight. maybe the weight of the bumper
just put the unit into the next catargary. after a check weigh, owners would fasten bits back on which
had been removed earlier. maybe forth didn’t bother or wanted to stay legal…
John

Can’t remember why that was John,but it made it a lot easier to get to the towing ring to get a ■■■■■■ on a cold morning,if you look at both photo’s you will see the ring on the n/side.Vic.

v7victor:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Aye Larry,i think it was bit early for me,i started in late 69 left in72,DennisR may remember him but maybe not as we started at Forth about the same time,but he stayed till the end.The Jimmy we would remember most would be Jimmy (crazyhorse)Cameron,Larry you talk about whisky this man drunk it by the pint pot full!!!.Did you ever load back off Tayforth at Alloa he was the manager there at that time.Vic.

Aye I did once load whiskey from Alloa, cant remember the exact spot, but I delivered it to a Bond at Sunderland, 1963 ish, I had tipped at Burntisland Ship Builders with hatch covers made at Wright Andersons at Gateshead, Happy Days Eh, Regards Larry.