Road Planners

Is it me or are the people who come up with these supposed congestion reducing ideas complete ■■■■■■■ idiots

I thought of it as you do whilst driving on 2 roads inparticular.The dreaded M25 and the M42 (other roads may apply)

Having widened the M25 to 5 lanes between A30 at staines and M3 when it then becomes 3 again til after M3 junction anticlockwise.In my opinion this bit has got worse than it was and all because all the (im in more than a hurry than you and i drive a better car etc)cut up the M3 slip which is about 2 miles long and cut in at the last minute,thus ■■■■■■■ up the traffic flow for everybody else :angry: :angry:

and the same for the M42 possibly a good idea using the hard shoulder in peak conditions but it is intermittant,so as soon as a junction comes up all the traffic that has gone on to the hard shoulder then has to push back in to the 3 lanes causing traffic to brake and slow up to let these people back in.

It makes no sense to me at all,It just seems like a complete waste of money and time converting it all,for it just to be abused.
In an ideal world it would work,everyone would be patient ,wait their turn,only use the sliproad/hard shoulder for the right purposes ,but unfortunately most people on the roads are ■■■■■■■ ignorant,rude selfish ,greedy individuals who see there lives as far more important than anybody elses :angry: :angry:

bikemonkey:
,but unfortunately most people on the roads are [zb] ignorant,rude selfish ,greedy individuals who see there lives as far more important than anybody elses :angry: :angry:

Sadly,this is all too true…and in all walks of life… :imp:

I agree although I use the M42 everynight during rush hour and have found the use of the hard shoulder does help the flow of traffic. My main bug bear is that many drivers don’t use it and would rather sit in the slow moving traffic and people concentrating on sat navs than the road.[/list]

The three lane / two lane / three lane switching causes plenty of problems. Take the A12 from the M25 for instance, it is always at the end of the 3 lane sections where the problems are. However following the roadworks about a year ago they actually did something clever. On the Eastbound track after the Shenfield turn, the slip road joining from the roundabout used to become lane 1 and run for about 2 miles before the road narrowed to 2 lanes for the overbridge. What they did was to make the traffic on the slip move over into the existing traffic and they have painted hatched markings along the old lane 1 creating a sort of hard shoulder, this has taken out one bottle neck and seems to have worked quite well.

dont drive on the m42[ jct 8 to 3a] until about 19.00 and then back up about 22.00 so maybe dont see the really bad times but i thought lately it had got a lot better, none of the 5 miles of 20/30/ 40 mph limits for about 50 yards of roadworks, big ques for 2 lane closures for some bloke to play about with the speed cammeras every night, my only gripe lately is the matrixs saying ques ahead, red ringed signs on 40 and theres hardly anything about.