5 lane M1?

FOr me as a Lorry driver what an excellent idea this means that as most cars that usually sit in lane 2 would probably sit in lane 4 and leave those of us who know how to drive with 2/3 lanes to ourselves .

EXCELLENT!!!

So i read this on the Biased Broad Casting website.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/nott … 688430.stm

“In fact it increases the amount of traffic - which has been proved recently by a study on the Newbury bypass where traffic has increased by 50% in the first five years of it being built.”

Is that not why they build a by pass?, because of a growth in traffic?.

Then i saw these idiots,

nowideningm1.org.uk/index.html

Under the heading solutions it says this,

Studies have suggested that reducing the speed limit to 50mph would reduce the bunching of traffic and thus congestion. It would have the added advantage of reducing fuel use, as cars are far more efficient at this speed. The number of deaths from car crashes might also be reduced.

Have these people ever driven through motorway roadworks where the speed has been reduced to 40/50 M.P.H. ■■ and what happens?, yeh you got it the traffic is all bumper to bumper.

It would be better for our communities if people worked where they lived and shopped locally. Instead people travel longer distances to work than ever before, making the working day and week longer.

I currently travel 25 miles to work and do on average 45/50 hours a week if i got a job locally with one of the cowboys i would work 60/70 hours a week so that fact is proved wrong in my situation.

Ten theres the cartoon under the Action heading of the kid asking why he cant walk to school!!! WHENB did cars start driving on the pavement?. the kids mum claims he cant walk to school because there is too much traffic, of course most of which are 4x4,s that for some unknown reason school mothers seem to use for school trips.

I am a guy who believes in doing something for the planet and yes i think we need to solve congestion and also find other forms of fuel for moving goods around the country it would be nice if we could do it on the railway but without the massive investment needed it wont happen so in the meantime lets just make the M1 15 lanes each way and have a pleasent drive for the rest of our lives with no congestion .

That bypass along with changing the M4 junction by getting rid of “THAT” roundabout is the best thing that ever happened to newbury …

Same as the A38 nr lichfield , cutting out the roundabout and changing the A38 to run underneath it … Bliss …

paul@midway:
That bypass along with changing the M4 junction by getting rid of “THAT” roundabout is the best thing that ever happened to newbury …

Same as the A38 nr lichfield , cutting out the roundabout and changing the A38 to run underneath it … Bliss …

Trouble is, they have now started digging up Bassetts Pole roundabout for a few months - adding traffic lights I think. So you now sail past the A5 and get stuck at Bassetts Pole sometimes :frowning:

Oh well

Calv

two more lanes for potential chaos.
theres enuff with 3 lane m/ways

I’ve also noticed that the M1 S/B, South of Luton, has been marked out for widening. Presumably they are going to build two extra lanes and then move the central reserve across one lane.

The M25 was planned as the first of three orbital roads around London. I’m still waiting to see where the other two are going to be built. :unamused: :unamused:

They are also supposed to be doing north of junction 10 as well, it’s not that long since the added extra lanes south of 10.

I quite like the 3-lane M1…

It means I can guarantee a nice long money-maker shift when working for one particular firm, especially on a Friday, and travelling between J24a and 30. A good 30% of it is usually stationary at some point or another. Hourly pay is the happy child of traffic-jams :smiley:

Krankee:
The M25 was planned as the first of three orbital roads around London. I’m still waiting to see where the other two are going to be built. :unamused: :unamused:

Actually there were originally planned to be 4…and what we now have as the M25 is a botch of 2 sections of 2 of the routes… :wink:

Find all the useless information on the subject your heart desires HERE …including the original plans and maps and photos of land still awaiting construction…not that I’ve had too much time on my hands or anything… :blush: :blush: :blush: :stuck_out_tongue:

How can a road that never existed (Newbury bypass) have 50% more traffic

And how much % less traffic is there now going through Newbury?

If building a new road is sooooo damaging to the local enviroment explain to me how it is that the foliage you see right up to the border with the hardshoulder manages to survive?
Surely if the roads were damaging the enviroment that much all you’d be able to see from any motorway or trunk route would be a barren wasteland where nothing could grow!

north surrey haulage:
a barren wasteland where nothing could grow!

That describes Luton to a T, so the widening of the M1 near junction 10 won’t cause any problems.

Krankee:
I’ve also noticed that the M1 S/B, South of Luton, has been marked out for widening. Presumably they are going to build two extra lanes and then move the central reserve across one lane.

I was under the impression that these works were for a new high speed train line going into London from Luton Airport?

Maybe they’ll put all the freight from Luton to London on it as well :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

north surrey haulage:

Krankee:

I was under the impression that these works were for a new high speed train line going into London from Luton Airport?

Maybe they’ll put all the freight from Luton to London on it as well :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

If that’s Cross Rail your referring to Nowork Rail will not want freight pathing on that line, it will be exclusively passenger traffic as it is designed to link up with CTRL at Waterloo and the new high speed link will definitely not have greight on it.

Not quite the M1, but the M25!

What happened to all Tony Blurs sound bytes about building continental type parking areas and rest areas

Wheel Nut:
Not quite the M1, but the M25!

What happened to all Tony Blurs sound bytes about building continental type parking areas and rest areas

Did he say that?, surely you know by now anything he says is bovine excretia.

jammymutt:
Did he say that?, surely you know by now anything he says is bovine excretia.

I concur

5 lanes eh! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
how would that help :question:
it would just mean us truckers having to undertake
4 lanes of sheep doing 40ish in their cars instead of
undertaking the 2 at present :exclamation: