The Roadworks Fix

!!!Warning this post may contain no ■■■■■■ references whatsoever…!!!

I have had an idea thats fairly simple but may help everyone negotiate roadworks safer and smoother.

Now lets face it roadworks are a pain in the arse for everyone no matter what vehicle your in, primary frustrations involve tailgating, lane hogging and variances in accuracy of speedos meaning those thinking they are hitting the target of 50mph may actually only be at 47/48.
This variance is most noticable between HGV’s with calibrated tachos and cars.
For this post purposes im ignoring satnav gps speed devices.
Im also disspelling the perpetuated myth that speed limits arent targets as preached by overly ■■■■ driving instructors.

So my reccommendations are.

1. HGV’s can only use the nearside lane in roadwork sections, 6.6 width limits apply to any other lanes.
    What I hear you cry but what if I want to overtake, well you cant unless its a breakdown, if you want to overtake stuff get another job. Our primary role is to drive round safely anything else is a secondary side affect of doing that.
    Professional drivers will also be expected not to drive up each others chuff and although retaining carriageway priority will be expected to assist entering and exiting vehicles at sliproads like we do anyway.

2. Single carriageway speed limits will apply to all vehicles thus allowing cars to go 60 counteracting the aforementioned speed variance.

3. Roadworks where the workforce is more vunerable will have 40mph limits, lane restrictions will still apply but 40 will be for all vehicles.

Depending on feedback I may consider an epetition or may just sit on me arse drinking beer.

How about out side lane 5ft ,cars only no entering the 2 inside lorry lanes, not even for a break down see how they like it theres enothe restictions on lorrys as it is
what road workers do you mean,

why don’t we just put everything on the railways ■■?
WHAT ■■?

Why don’t we use teleporters, I’ve seen em on TV.

How is the M1 Leeds - Derby these days? Is it running much better than say 6 months ago, as I’m off down it on Friday morning on my twice yearly trip.

malcolmgbell:
How about out side lane 5ft ,cars only no entering the 2 inside lorry lanes, not even for a break down see how they like it theres enothe restictions on lorrys as it is

:open_mouth: :unamused: :unamused:

peirre:
Why don’t we use teleporters, I’ve seen em on TV.

Virtual Reality is the future. No need to get out of bed, no need for transport.

the nodding donkey:
Virtual Reality is the future.

I’m sure Dave could put a whole new twist on VR when it’s used to night out in the cab :laughing:

The police should be able to use discretion to issue a charge for the recovery of avoidable breakdowns causing delays. Running out of fuel on the M6 J18-J20 should be an instant £250 on the spot job.

I can sympathise with the argument for restricting HGVs to lane 1 as some lanes are stupidly narrow, but we all know it’s tailgating that causes the problems. Force impatient muppets to sit behind slower vehicles and you’ll end up with long lines of wagons a metre apart who’s drivers can only see the doors of the wagon in front, no prizes for figuring out what will end up happening.

The problem with roadworks is the very fact they bunch traffic into a more confined space & the drivers on our roads largely aren’t good/sensible enough to adapt their driving accordingly to keep things safe. There is very little that can be done about it so far as I can see, apart from trying to keep the length of these roadwork stretches to a minimum.

the nodding donkey:

malcolmgbell:

:open_mouth: :unamused: :unamused:

It’s exam time, Nodders. Even the special schools have study leave.

No point restricting HGVs to the inside lane in roadworks. From what I’ve seen of HGVs in roadworks normal motorway rules do not apply. The majority of HGVs I see in the outside lane are in roadworks (saw one this week already) and the inside lane only restriction on the works down the M5 isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on. That restriction is routinely flouted as is the one on the slip from the Northbound M1 to the Northbound M6.

Why do drivers think the fine will be any less than being caught in the outside lane of the motorway with no roadworks on :question: :question: :question:

Terry T:
No point restricting HGVs to the inside lane in roadworks. From what I’ve seen of HGVs in roadworks normal motorway rules do not apply. The majority of HGVs I see in the outside lane are in roadworks (saw one this week already) and the inside lane only restriction on the works down the M5 isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on. That restriction is routinely flouted as is the one on the slip from the Northbound M1 to the Northbound M6.

Why do drivers think the fine will be any less than being caught in the outside lane of the motorway with no roadworks on :question: :question: :question:

You’ve driven along the A1 in Yorkshire then ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you a sensible and thought provoking post Dipper (still trying to work out if I have missed a double entendre !) It will take approx. 7mins 30 seconds to cover 5 miles at 40mph or around 6minutes at 50mph, that 1.5minutes makes no difference to your average day, I can never understand how a so called “professional” driver thinks its okay to bully other users because they are not driving at the speed they would like them to, I understand the frustration - but back off pull in and take a chill pill - you sit at a set of traffic lights for longer than that and it does not kill you.

Terry T - it seems to be something that happens more and more nowadays, I watched a artic go into lane 3 on the M6 to M5 (south) stretch in traffic (before the road markings change - so not okay) then cut across all 3 lanes at the last minute to get on the M5 south I expect that from idiots in BMW’s or Audi’s ( was a German made truck - so maybe there’s a connection) - he got a whole 200 yards further than me, I was sat in lane 1 all the way and I have lost count on how many times I see HGV’s (old school me) go in lane 3 where the M6 north meets the M6 toll, the maximum punishment for this is a Fine up to £2,500 and 3 points or discretionary disqualification from driving- is that worth the 10 seconds you save.

just my 2 pennyworth

hardyd44:
I have lost count on how many times I see HGV’s (old school me) go in lane 3 where the M6 north meets the M6 toll,

You can blame TomTom for that. Mine (Truck 5150 :unamused: ) actually tells me to use the outside lane and go over the top. I see cars swerving across the motorway all the time there and when I’m in my car going through there I always look inside when I overtake them later and they’re almost always following a sat-nav.

Terry T:

Night time rules or friday rules not shaw which

U can use the third lane at the m6 split as it becomes 2 lane carrage way

malcolmgbell:

Ah, Immigrant. We’ve been expecting you.

malcolmgbell:

Yeah but to get to that lane over the top you have to enter the outside lane of a 3 lane carriageway on the approach which is illegal.