Regarding holidays

Not stricktly a trucking question but i am told by my new employer that i am only entitled to 12 days holiday per year plus 8 bank holidays is this legal?

Not sure myself but have a look here:

acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1109

PMAC:
Not stricktly a trucking question but i am told by my new employer that i am only entitled to 12 days holiday per year plus 8 bank holidays is this legal?

Never mind whether it’s legal or not, just tell him where to stick his job and find a proper one.

It is legal, I went for an interview with a company who had the same holiday policy, I decided to give them a miss, also didn’t fancy underwriting their insurance policy by paying for any damage caused whilst in my care.

The company who I am starting with gives 20 days plus 8 bank holidays, so I suppose the question is why can’t they do the same. Companies who offer these antiquated/draconian benefits makes joining an union attractive and I thought I would never say that!

Leave it to the eastern europeans.

bulloks…i get 25 day a year & bank holidays,
As far as iam aware most companys start you on 20 days & 8 bank holidays i year

My company gives 21 days & that includes bank holidays :frowning: :angry: :confused:
Can’t say i’m over the moon about it but what can i do?

I stand to be corrected but I thought the law now stated it had to be 20 days plus stats.
Which means I get more hols next year.

knight:
I stand to be corrected but I thought the law now stated it had to be 20 days plus stats.
Which means I get more hols next year.

The law only says it should be the equivalent of 4 weeks leave, If your normal working week is 5 days you would be entitled to a minimum of 20 days, 6 day weeks you would get 24 days but both totals can be made up by including the 8 Bank Holidays.

I get 25 + bank hols. Have to save between 4 and 5 per year for a xmas shut down so have at least 4 weeks to get in. Trouble is getting them in! Not allowed Aug or Sept off and frounded upon having April May June and July off! So its a bit tricky! lol Being as me wee man school hols are in late july to aug guess when im having summer hols, stuff em so say the staff we will be off when we want.

Look HERE

SECTION 7: PAID ANNUAL LEAVE

• Every worker — whether part-time or full-time — covered by these regulations is entitled to four weeks’ paid annual leave. This includes workers who are subject to the Road Transport Directive.
  • A week’s leave should allow workers to be away from work for a week. It should be the same amount of time as the working week: if a worker does a 5-day week, he or she is entitled to 20 days’ leave; if he or she does a 3-day week, the entitlement is 12 days’ leave.
  • The leave entitlement under the regulations is not additional to bank holidays. There is no statutory right to take bank holidays off. Therefore a worker who is not otherwise paid in respect of bank holidays may take bank holidays as part of his or her annual leave entitlement in order to receive payment for these holidays. For more information on Bank Holidays go to:
  • Workers must give the employer notice that they want to take leave.
  • Employers can set the times that workers take their leave, for example for a Christmas shutdown.
  • If a worker’s employment ends, he or she has a right to be paid for the leave time due and not taken.

Thank you :slight_smile: