(more) bank holidays

we have 8 bank holidays a year which is the lowest in europe apart from holland who have 7. most have around 12 while the italians have 16 :slight_smile: .
would you like more :question:
would the employers like you to have more :question:

On the whole I think we have about enough Bank Holidays in this country.A couple more in the summer wouldn’t go amiss just so that we could enjoy some decent weather but with the Working Time Directive bearing down on us ,if any more were given to us by the Government the bosses could easily include them in your 20 day holiday entitlement.They can already do this for new drivers that they take on ( I think, if I’m wrong someone will quickly correct me.)I personally wouldn’t touch a job where the Bank Holidays formed part of your annual leave but it does go on.

Bryan i know mobile workers have never been entitled to any holidays whatsoever and also have those that were had to take them as part of their annual leave but i think the law has changed recently to say moile workers can now have 20 days holiday a year but im not sure about the bank holiday bit, i think employers of mobile workers can still insist you use them as part of your annual leave.

jammymutt:
Bryan i know mobile workers have never been entitled to any holidays whatsoever and also have those that were had to take them as part of their annual leave but i think the law has changed recently to say moile workers can now have 20 days holiday a year but im not sure about the bank holiday bit, i think employers of mobile workers can still insist you use them as part of your annual leave.

Your thinking is 100 correct Jammymutt

Your thinking is 100 correct Jammymutt

Seconded

I think youll find, people, that employers are only obliged to pay for 2 Bank holidays, and that goes for ANY employee, not just mobile workers. Im sure someone will correct me if this has changed
Regards
Trev

ÂŁ30000 salary and 350 bank holidays a year that will do me :laughing:

Dafman:
ÂŁ30000 salary and 350 bank holidays a year that will do me :laughing:

350 tssh is that all “workaholic” :smiley:

simon

Well you have to make an effort and anyway i do not want to get bored,
and if i don’t work how will i acrue my holidays :sunglasses:

Trevor Parry:
I think youll find, people, that employers are only obliged to pay for 2 Bank holidays, and that goes for ANY employee, not just mobile workers. Im sure someone will correct me if this has changed
Regards
Trev

Not true, I’m afraid…employers are not even legally bound to let you have Bank Holidays off, never mind pay them…

Whilst I’m at it, I can confirm that all workers - mobile or otherwise - are now legally entitled to 20 days paid holiday a year. It’s in the latest section of the WTD (Horizontal Amending Directive) which came into force on the 1st August this year and also included the legal right to health assessments for night workers.

However, it is at the employers discretion whether or not to include Bank Holidays…they can if they like.

Drivers of non-Tacho vehicles (vans, etc.) are now under the 48hr working week…albeit with an opt-out. So if you’re a Sprinter driver who likes his overtime and you haven’t signed the relevant bit of paper, now may be the time to chase it… :wink:

By the way…all the info you might want on the WTD (and then some!) can be found in the FAQ Forum (plug,plug)… :sunglasses: