Recommend a good training school in/around somerset area?

Hello all, my first post. Would be eternally grateful, if any of you had any experience of training schools in and around the somerset area and if anyone could recommend any. Any definitely going to do my class 2 and toying with the idea of doing both back to back. I’m open to all your responses. Heaps of thanks in advance. :smiley: :smiley: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :blush: :blush:

my daughter used Taunton Training earlier this year ( as I did several years ago :wink: )

I would recommend them to anyone

their training is much better than their WEBSITE cos that only works properly with IE :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Colin is the guy to speak to on 01823 272497

thats why i couldn’t get it to open, i use firefox!?! Thank you for the advice, i’ll give them a ring tmw :blush: :smiley: :blush: :smiley:

A bit to far east for me, however you are fairely well placed if you don’t mind a bit of a commute. There are some good schools in Exeter and also in Bristol, as well as the one Denis mentioned.

If you fancy combining your training with a holiday, I could reccommend some good schools in Cornwall

Just looked at the website denis posted, Looks like you won’t go far wrong there, proper lorries for the cat C and a proper Artic for the C+E.

A lot of firms use minimum spec (I passed my C+E in a 12t iveco with a drawbar trailer :cry: )

i passd with L&G group in bridgwater, i did pass first time but i have heard good things about Taunton Training.

talisman:
i passd with L&G group in bridgwater, i did pass first time but i have heard good things about Taunton Training.

seen L & G about, looks like nice kit , don’t know anything else about them

lggroup.co.uk/training.php

what i will say, is if your going for L&G ask for bruce, he is the guy who trained me - top bloke, very professional and a good laugh. He is their senior instructor and has been doing it for decades.

They use ERF rigids and tractors, so there is very little change over needed if your doing both c and c+e.

My advice is check everywhere, and find the best offer.

Thank you Semtex, Talisman and Denis F for your suggestions contacted TTC today and will let you all know how it goes, Fingers crossed :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :wink:

Not Somerset, but I used www.lorrydrivertraining.co.uk in Exeter.

Rings a bell - I think they are the people I did mine with, back in 85 :slight_smile: Long time ago though so can’t be absolutely sure. Back then the wagon was a… Dodge, if I remember correctly? With a 30’ flat behind it?

I can still remember the first time I was in that wagon on assesment - over 20 years ago - sitting in something that felt like it was the size of a house, and being told - “right then, reverse back round and onto that bridge…” (this was down by the cattle market if you know the area)… looking back it should have been easy :blush:

I can also remember at the same time being told a good visualisation to help get a trailer to go where you want it to. Unfortunately it’s not something I can repeat here and expect to keep my posting rights :wink: :laughing: it works though :laughing:

Denis F:
my daughter used Taunton Training earlier this year ( as I did several years ago :wink: )

I would recommend them to anyone

their training is much better than their WEBSITE cos that only works properly with IE :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Colin is the guy to speak to on 01823 272497

Zetorpilot:
I can still remember the first time I was in that wagon on assesment - over 20 years ago - sitting in something that felt like it was the size of a house, and being told - “right then, reverse back round and onto that bridge…” (this was down by the cattle market if you know the area)… looking back it should have been easy :blush:

was that the bridge between the cattle market and the lorry park ? it’s still there although the market moves later this year (FMD permitting)

Denis F:
was that the bridge between the cattle market and the lorry park ? it’s still there although the market moves later this year (FMD permitting)

Yes it was. :slight_smile:
The wagon was kept on that lorry park.

It’s ages since I’ve been back to Somerset - we moved there from the New Forest 30 years ago, when I was about 14. My dad still lives in Wellington but on the few recent occasions when I have visited the UK we’ve met up further north.

What part of Exmoor are you from Denis? I went to school in Wivey, then Richard Huish 6th form in Taunton.

Zetorpilot:
What part of Exmoor are you from Denis?

Near Exford

I went to school in Wivey, then Richard Huish 6th form in Taunton.

that’s posh :wink: I went to school in Minehead - didn’t do 6th form, had a slight disagreement with the teachers about my erm… attitude to academic studies :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: