Rates

Can any body please tell me how you are supposed to make a living at below £1.20 a mile. There seems to be a lot of people putting rates about at below that price. Am i doing something wrong

Junior.r124:
Am i doing something wrong

i reckon you might be if your pulling at £1.20 a mile, if more people told em to shove it they might reconsider the rate, but hey this is the uk so it wont happen will it.

I am saying i am not doing it but that is about all what is being offered when i am ringing people

i think your doing pretty well…if your running a taxi or courier type operation?but if your into c or c+e territory then your on a loser mate,unless the derv is free!! :laughing: :laughing: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

You are at the mercy of the big boys, only industry where the customer dictates the price.

How can the customer dictate the price. You tell them the price. They say yes or no.

Junior.r124:
How can the customer dictate the price. You tell them the price. They say yes or no.

In 24 years in haulage I would think that’s only happened about 35% of the time
I seemed to spend 1/2 my life asking for rates, and a large percentage of that, after I’d done the job :unamused:
Oh and you can make money a £1.20 a mile, but that has to be every mile you do, with a reasonably economical truck
I found that even quoting well over £2.00 mile one way, and having a good percentage of backloading, the actual ppm was often no more than £140, when you would expect it to be a lot more.

Are you talking about when you are subbie for some one or do you have your customers

Junior.r124:
Are you talking about when you are subbie for some one or do you have your customers

Bit of both
I started off as a subbie, and ended up, with my own customers. The Subbie work was often more lucrative mind

Junior.r124:

Welcome the the wonderful world of transport. :laughing:

This is where the rate confirmation sheet was conceived

It is normally called a Rate Con

Wheel Nut:

Junior.r124:

:laughing: :laughing:

[/quote]

pmsl i never realised how appropriate that was