£1 per mile....?

I HAVE HEARD TALK ON HERE OF TRUCKS RUNNING FOR ONE POUND PER MILE. ASSUMING THIS IS PER LOADED MILE, THIS IS AMAZING.
ARE YOU AWARE THAT LARGER COURIER COMPANIES CHARGE £1 PLM FOR A SMALL VAN (BERLINGO, CORSA ETC), AND UP TO £1.50 FOR A TRANSIT/SPRINTER??

When I worked for a subby out of Felix he was earning £1.00 a mile loaded or unloaded and this was a few years back and he was running three brand new Mercs on it and making plenty of wonga :laughing: and we were running to the law .
Do you really think people were only being paid for running loaded :unamused: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :unamused: :unamused:

yes …got to admit that the rates here in the uk are what one would call diabolical…thats why drivers are on such low wages…and of course you have the bigger companies still undercutting…its a cut throat business which is why i sold my truck and worked for someone…couldnt make it pay…and the same can be said for a lot of owner drivers…i have a friend of mine who has a truck on finance…paid £11.000 for a trailer…and earns £1700 a week…take all the costs out and you would think its better to work for someone…the problem here is that truckers are not united…there is no strong union to unite everyone…and no one to set the rates…just phone a company up for the job …and they will tell you the rate…mini cab drivers get more per mile than a truck driver…and for a lot of employed drivers…he can earn more money stacking shelves in a supermarket…but if its in your blood then thats what you do regardless of the conditions…as i have often said france and holland rates for the transport industry are set by the ministry and anyone who undercuts is heavily fined and a mark placed against that company…so its a very fair system …and is reviewed but as we all know here in the u.k the public and the government are and always have been anti truck…and will be for the forseeable future…shame…shame…
have a nice day

im not a owner driver.

but imagine going for a contract stating you want £1.50 a mile,the bloke will laugh at you and say william or nobbie will do it for 75p (hyperthetical by the way) over the water.

makes you think,van drivers can get away with setting there rates high due to the fact folk like mr betz and mr dent don’t have a fleet of vans running up and down the country 24/7.

it does make you wonder why folk do it

jon

Doing some Private Hire work 3 - 4 years back, we charged £1 per mile plus £1 & we were a lot cheper than the City Black cabs, who charged by the 50 mtr, I think it was.
When I did a Heathrow, Gatwick or Stanstead run I would earn about 50% more per hour than I did as an HGV or PSV driver.

so all mileage rates are on a round trip basis where trucks are concerned…■■?

03sprinter:

NO!

03sprinter:

Sometimes.

Might be of interest. Was in Mac D the other day. No, not tossing burgers. Sign on wall said Trainee manager £17k Area manager £24k. Any takers.

tortoise:
Might be of interest. Was in Mac D the other day. No, not tossing burgers. Sign on wall said Trainee manager £17k Area manager £24k. Any takers.

Tony didnt’ stick it long…

Rob K:
Tony didnt’ stick it long…

LOL
:smiley:

LOL@Rob K

I’m on £1.04 p/m with a 1500 mile minimum guarantee :laughing:

thats loaded box,empty box or empty skel

see signature

nsh, do you pay rental for your trailer?

regards
paul

north surrey haulage:

see signature

A fellow Hardly Dangerous subbie I presume :question:

flatbedman:
nsh, do you pay rental for your trailer?

regards
paul

No i now own my own trailer (when I say own I mean I’ve just took a loan out to buy one but still £200 p/month cheaper than renting) but I was renting from the firn I subbie for until they decided to extract the urine

I then went to collease who were cheaper and gave better service.

Manwell:

north surrey haulage:

see signature

A fellow Hardly Dangerous subbie I presume :question:

You presume correct sir work out of felixstowe with a white snotgobbler

north surrey haulage:
You presume correct sir work out of felixstowe with a white snotgobbler

They keep me out of Felix, I work on the CP contract, mainly Liverpool and Thamesport, sometimes Tilbury, and very very occasionally (thankfully) Southampton, although to be fair the last two times I’ve been there I was in and out in under 30 mins :open_mouth: