Just curious about rates

When I was a courier rates were charged and paid at ‘pplm’ (pence per loaded mile) i.e. mileage from collection to delivery only. On here people talk about mileage rates of £1.50 or £1.15 per mile for example, but are they talking about the same thing? Or are those rates for return mileage as well?

Majority on here are one way. :open_mouth: Boxes are obviously all miles you’ve got a box on, whether loaded or empty.

Thanks Rob. As I suspected.

In that case I make it that for anything less than approx £2.10* per mile for 44 tonnes folks have to get back-loads. If they cut dead mileage to 25% then their average rate has to be £1.40*. This is just just to break even you understand, and if nothing really goes wrong.

*Based on 84,000 total miles a year at 8.5 mpg and a salary of £25,000 pa.

Biscuits:

In that case I make it that for anything less than approx £2.10* per mile for 44 tonnes folks have to get back-loads. If they cut dead mileage to 25% then their average rate has to be £1.40*. This is just just to break even you understand, and if nothing really goes wrong.

Yes that sounds about right to me. Sadly, though, math is something that most ODs are not capable of understanding, hence why they are working 75 hours a week pulling containers around for £1.20 a mile. But it matters not - they have their “own” truck and the pretence of being their “own boss” so it’s all good. :wink:

Tis true that rates such as these are being offered, for instance got offered a pair of 40’s for Manchester at £598 each. Thats 1.16 p/m!

No thanks.

How much do you want, blah blah.

Lots more than that.

We haven’t got that in the job.

I had a day off.

Until people stand their ground over rates they’ll still remain low.

■■■■, I think I just agreed with Special. I need to lay down for a while…

Goaty:
Tis true that rates such as these are being offered, for instance got offered a pair of 40’s for Manchester at £598 each. Thats 1.16 p/m!

No thanks.

How much do you want, blah blah.

Lots more than that.

We haven’t got that in the job.

I had a day off.

Until people stand their ground over rates they’ll still remain low.

[zb], I think I just agreed with Special. I need to lay down for a while…

:laughing:

Biscuits:
In that case I make it that for anything less than approx £2.10* per mile for 44 tonnes folks have to get back-loads.

If by that you mean £2.10 per loaded mile and running back empty every time then I think even that is too low as it gives an average of only £1.05 on all miles. I personally couldn’t make it pay at that and I doubt anyone else could. My average over all miles (loaded and empty) last week works out at about £1.75 per mile which sounds a lot better to me.

Paul

repton:

Biscuits:
In that case I make it that for anything less than approx £2.10* per mile for 44 tonnes folks have to get back-loads.

If by that you mean £2.10 per loaded mile and running back empty every time then I think even that is too low as it gives an average of only £1.05 on all miles. I personally couldn’t make it pay at that and I doubt anyone else could. My average over all miles (loaded and empty) last week works out at about £1.75 per mile which sounds a lot better to me.

Paul

Yeah, I worked that out very roughly with probably wrong assumptions about many things (insurance etc.). And like I said just barely breaking even without accounting for the unforeseen, so not actually worth it at those rates. Good to hear you are making a good go of it, it sounds like you have a good business model there.

repton:

Biscuits:

Paul

Well no, he doesn’t mean that, obviously, hence why he said “folks have to get back-loads”. :unamused:

Rob K:
Well no, he doesn’t mean that, obviously, hence why he said “folks have to get back-loads”. :unamused:

I think he does mean that Rob. He said for anything LESS than £2.10/mile you would have to get back loads, the implication being that at £2.10 or more you could run back empty and make ends meet.

Paul

repton:

Rob K:

I think he does mean that Rob. He said for anything LESS than £2.10/mile you would have to get back loads, the implication being that at £2.10 or more you could run back empty and make ends meet.

Paul

Having re-read, that is a fair point and I will happily hold me hand up.

repton:

Rob K:

Paul

I did mean that £2.10 for 50% of all miles travelled could be a break even point, and I’m happy to accept that Paul is right when he says that is still too low.

Biscuits:
Good to hear you are making a good go of it, it sounds like you have a good business model there.

So far so good but I’ve only been going a year so I’ve got plenty to learn yet…

Paul

repton:

Biscuits:
Good to hear you are making a good go of it, it sounds like you have a good business model there.

So far so good but I’ve only been going a year so I’ve got plenty to learn yet…

Paul

Its taking its toll on you as I flashed you Friday mid afternoon on the 62 but no wave no FA so I figure you must have been snoozing.

Rob K:

Biscuits:

Yes that sounds about right to me. Sadly, though, math is something that most ODs are not capable of understanding, hence why they are working 75 hours a week pulling containers around for £1.20 a mile. But it matters not - they have their “own” truck and the pretence of being their “own boss” so it’s all good. :wink:

Rob, u need to change ye title to the Preacher, aka Dusty Springfield whichever fits. you slate everybodys intelligence as if its your mission to do so.

you are by far the most intelligent person on this site with ye wisdom… fair play

routier:
not a good comment to make on a public forum is it?

Why isn’t it? Or in your opinion should people refrain from speaking the truth because they might upset someone?

The vast majority of ODs who post on this site fit the ‘math’ statement perfectly. Don’t try to deny it because there are many thousands of posts of evidence in this very forum.

Rob K:

routier:
not a good comment to make on a public forum is it?

Why isn’t it? Or in your opinion should people refrain from speaking the truth because they might upset someone?

The vast majority of ODs who post on this site fit the ‘math’ statement perfectly. Don’t try to deny it because there are many thousands of posts of evidence in this very forum.

Rob you are Class!

I thank you sir. :slight_smile:

Rob K:
I thank you sir. :slight_smile:

ah, no worries Rob,

Some sensible comments on here …

For most of my work I charge round trip money … If I get a backload then that’s my bonus … Less than £2.00 per mile for all miles is barely profitable … And yes I know there’ll be some people who can’t use calculators who will tell me how silly I am and you can make lots of money at 1.40 a mile … But for me il
Stick to my method …

If i do one way trips I charge them at two thirds of the round trip rate as any backload is not viable to make the rate if you only charged half rate on your outward journey … We run Moffat forklifts and they command a higher rate o certain building materials but still nowt to shout about , but still easy enough to do achieve £900 round trip ex Felixstowe tip east birmingham , reload coalville and tip Cambridgeshire /Suffolk on the way home …

If everyone laughed at the offer of low paying work and refused it then the rate would have to be increased !

I’m finding over the last few months that many companies are struggling more than ever to cover they’re 300 pound loads ex felixstowe to pretty much anywhere … That’s where I come in at the last minute :laughing: