price per mile

there always seems to be the question of rates per mile on this forum. it makes my blood boil when i read about crappy rates that are offerd and even
worse od,s that accept them. if you accept the jobs at these rates then its no wonder it all goes pete tong further down the road. remember you are running
a business that has to make a profit or its not worth the bother. I have jobs at mileage rates but its MY RATE not the customers.

some jobs can be priced depending on distance, time taken to complete,
hassle involved, backload possibilty, per pallet, per ton, per trailer whether full,half full, round trip. prices can be one of these or a combination of many.

eg bristol glasgow one drop 1.1/2 days work straight price £700.00 +vat

warrington edinburgh 3 drops £ 350 for the travel and £ 20.00 per drop
£ 410+vat, one days work

redditch ■■■■■■■■■■■ 26 pallets @ £25.00 per pallet =£ 650.00+ vat 1 days
work

so you see dont rant on about crappy mileage rates then accept them
know your costs then set about your business in a professional manner.

okay thats my sunday morning rant and rave over, but who agrees■■?

It actually makes me laugh, as someone famous once said ‘there are lies, damned lies, and statistics’
So…
How do you work your ppm out?
When you cost a job, do you include the mileage to the starting point of the job, and home? Or to the next load?
Do you take into consideration, weight, height etc?
Do you take into consideration the route you will travel (44t out of the Derbyshire Dales, as against a 2t capload down to Ipswich for example)
It’s a tool, but is not the be all, and end all, just one in your box of tools, if you do your job right.
My best paying job, can sometimes work out at about £25.00 ppm, unfortunately it’s only just over 11 miles though, and takes best part of a day :sunglasses: :wink:

yeah and these are return load rates he doin.perhaps he comin down for 180 cos thats the only figure the scots seem to know. :question: :laughing:

I use a spead sheet like this

If you have Excel feel free to save a copy and modify to suit you work. .

These days the rate should be min £1.25 pm (UK for around 1600 miles a week)

something good:
These days the rate should be min £1.25 pm (UK for around 1600 miles a week)

better to go metric, quid a km sounds much better :wink: ( mars bar optional)

Denis F:

When I started, we used Groats per furlong, and calculated the bill with an abacus.
Are we supposed to do it differently now :question:
We couldn’t afford Mars bars, the best we could do was to ■■■■ on a damp rag. :wink:

dieseldave:

Denis F:

When I started, we used Groats per furlong, and calculated the bill with an abacus.
Are we supposed to do it differently now :question:
We couldn’t afford Mars bars, the best we could do was to ■■■■ on a damp rag. :wink:

And you try and tell the young people today that… and they won’t believe ya’.

It’s a myth,

I was talking in broken English to an Eastern block driver working for a small UK firm, out of Tilbury on containers.
His wages are £1000 per calender month 6 days a week.
Now how can any owner driver manage to comand a decent PPM. When our own UK small firms take advantage of the emigrants like this.

how does he work 6 days a week