Currie European advertising for ODs in CM

I couldn’t help but laugh at Curries advertising in this week’s CM on page 177 and proudly stating “Rate 95p per mile”! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Surely nobody can make a living at that!

Paul

no they can’t, but there’ll still be some takers :confused:

I’ve just read an ad in the back of this months Trucking. 1700 quid for a full 5day week for a 44tonner. Is that really something to shout about, it can’t be a million miles off 95p/mile?

hammer:
Is that really something to shout about, it can’t be a million miles off 95p/mile?

I dunno - there are still plenty advertising stuff like “£1500 weekly earnings guaranteed” and so I guess on that basis £1700 is quite a lot better, and depending on the mileage you have to do to earn it you might be able to make ends meet at that. It’s still not great though!

Paul

anyone advertising in mags says it all, they cant get anyone but wonder Y there are no takers. They need to wake up and smell the coffee. No OD should be working for less than £1.50 min per mile and then thats not great. These Pound per mile companies should be put out of the industry.

95 pence per mile ? Joke, you will spend that on ur first litre of fuel!!!

hammer:
I’ve just read an ad in the back of this months Trucking. 1700 quid for a full 5day week for a 44tonner. Is that really something to shout about, it can’t be a million miles off 95p/mile?

depends alot of container companies offer those rates cos you dont do the miles.
when i was at freightliner they used to offer a guaranteed income to the o/d’s because they never used to do the journey work from the inland depots. plus sometimes you never even did 60 k’s a day. i think the lowest i did was leeds to keighley and back and that day was a 14 hour.

as alex has said alot of companies like freightliner etc offer subbies a fixed income usually based on 2 or three boxes a day depending on whats availble as the milages are usually under 100 miles to any destination it can and does work out ok for the OD’s

I could be wrong but I thought Curries were ragsiders.

I had a job alert for this one from one of the jobsites (havn’t cancelled them from when I was looking)

It stated that the rate was loaded and empty, would that make it a more viable prospect??

(Note, I am not looking to go o/d myself, I don’t like mars bars :wink: )

Semtex:

i like the mars bars…its the stress i wouldnt like :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

alix776:
as alex has said alot of companies like freightliner etc offer subbies a fixed income usually based on 2 or three boxes a day depending on whats availble as the milages are usually under 100 miles to any destination it can and does work out ok for the OD’s

When you put it like that it doesn’t sound too bad. If you aren’t doing the long distances it seems like a good way in for an owner driver because you can run an older, cheaper wagon and get yourself up and running.

hammer:

alix776:

When you put it like that it doesn’t sound too bad. If you aren’t doing the long distances it seems like a good way in for an owner driver because you can run an older, cheaper wagon and get yourself up and running.

well your right. there is a firm in freightliner leeds called boococks who started with old fl 10’s in mean in a really old knackered state and now they are running scanias and ssc.

Boococks motors are all still second hand though Alex.They’re about 2 miles from my house,and I see them regularly.

Ken.

Is this for the Euro work and who’s paying for the ferries - when I was on FM out of Hull used to see loads of them coming in on a Saturday morning. And others going out on a SUday.

Semtex:
It stated that the rate was loaded and empty, would that make it a more viable prospect??

diesel @ 78.82 ppl ( my best price this week)
8 mpg average

going to cost you 44p a mile,

read any cost tables and the usually say fuel = 1/3 of haulage costs

so 3 x 44 = £1.32

so if it’s costing £1.32 a mile and you get 95p , you’re going to loose weight as you won’t even be able to afford a mars bar :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

whilst 95p per mile is indeed unrealistic, i wonder sometimes where people get their figures and ideas from - no wonder the failed haulier pool grows larger every year is it:

Hammer: £1700 cannot be far off 95p per mile - eh? entirely depends on what miles you’re doing for that, it would be £ 17 per mile if you did 100 miles a week

Routier: You’d spend that buying your first litre - For a start derv isn’t 95p per litre (more like 75p nett of VAT) but more importantly you’d be doing around 3 miles per litre not 1 to 1 :unamused:

Denis F: Fuel is 1/3 of haulage costs - again this totally depends on the mileage you’re doing - it COULD be between 50% (double shifted motor) and 10% (low mileage operation)

jj72:
Denis F: Fuel is 1/3 of haulage costs - again this totally depends on the mileage you’re doing - it COULD be between 50% (double shifted motor) and 10% (low mileage operation)

well obviously you won’t use any fuel if you’re sat at a port/RDC all day :wink:

30% is a reasonable average to work with in a situation where we don’t know enough details to be specific - it’s the figure that appears in summaries of Cost tables

Unless you’ve got every route planned for the next 6 months guessing how much fuel you need is never going to be an exact science :laughing:

nobody seems to take into account the standing costs of running a motor, thats the cost to you no matter what mileage your doing, i’d guess that most running @44t on general would be standing a similar amount per month/year, it’s all very well these guaranteed £1500 a week jobs when you do 1200 mile but you can’t alter those costs, yeah you’ve averaged £1.25 a mile but you’ve still only cleared five hundred quid, if your gona do that, for me you might as well be sat in someone elses motor!
think most that do the job seriously, know that your now looking at 2k every week minimum to say your actually making the job pay, obviously the less mileage you do for that the better but for general haulage 30% on diesel isn’t that far off, 1k of fuel = 3k of work? or more realistically £700 fuel = £2,100 of work, think most would be happy with that, not sure how you can make the job pay legally if fuel becomes 50% of your weekly turn over, the mileage you’d have to cover for the remaining 50% to cover your standing costs and leave you with a good wage + profit would surely be unachievable?

jj72:
whilst 95p per mile is indeed unrealistic, i wonder sometimes where people get their figures and ideas from - no wonder the failed haulier pool grows larger every year is it:

Hammer: £1700 cannot be far off 95p per mile - eh? entirely depends on what miles you’re doing for that, it would be £ 17 per mile if you did 100 miles a week

I was assuming you will actually be moving the wagon during the week for your money. I run a lot less weight on low-value goods and think 95p/mile or 1700 quid a week is pretty poor. My insurance, tax etc is pretty high, at 44tonne I’m sure it must be far more. My point is, I can’t see you being left with much unless you go there, do very little and then come home at the end of the week.