Another pay rate question?

Whats the general rule of thumb regarding rates for different types of work, as a newby i keep thinking of questions in my mind lol so sorry if it bores some of you.

For instance i can understand say hauling coal, sand, grain etc being paid £■■■ per tonne, but whats a good rate ? Also for example if your moving a container say from Immingham too Glasgow would you get so much per mile ? so much per day ? sometimes a bit of both ? so much per mile ? if so is that just the 1 way then you run back for free ? How do jobs like Tarmac & Readymix work then too ?

Also the other day i spoke to a lad with an 05 Daf V8 530, only a young lad who said he was a subby with John Smiths at Tadcaster pulling tankers or curtain siders - how would he be probably paid then ?

:open_mouth: Blimey where would a person start to answer that :laughing:

All of the above simply … :wink:

Some supermarkets for example pay a daily rate for traction work based on having the unit available for a fixed period and sometimes a minimum milage.
On dedicated subcontract traction (e.g. Norfolk Line or Curries for example)usually pay a fixed rate per mile, paying all miles whether loaded or empty
Same with containers generally but some addin additional things such as waiting time over and above a fixed period.
Contracted tippers etc tend to also be milage paid but some on Radial miles not actual miles or rate per ton/mile.

Some jobs/contracts can pay based a mixture of any of the above :smiley:

So it’s up to how your paid as to how YOU make it pay :wink:

e.g. if you were doing supermarket traction for example based on a daily rate you may be as well to errm take it a little steady and thus fill your agreed time period up with less miles :smiley: :wink:

do DAF do a V8 ■■? :wink:

Best bet it to hit Comm Motor mag and phone the adverts in the back and ask what the rates of pay are.

It also depends where you live etc.

montana man:
On dedicated subcontract traction (e.g. Norfolk Line or Curries for example)usually pay a fixed rate per mile, paying all miles whether loaded or empty

Often trying to pay less per mile for the empty running though. Which should be reason enough not to work for a firm that want to do that IMHO. :imp: :smiling_imp: :imp: :smiling_imp:

Coffeeholic:

montana man:

Often trying to pay less per mile for the empty running though. Which should be reason enough not to work for a firm that want to do that IMHO. :imp: :smiling_imp: :imp: :smiling_imp:

And some of them “not mentioning any one irish fridge company in particular” do an awful lot of empty running :cry: :wink:

That is the million dollar question and I love it :smiley:

Basically you have it right with bulk movements, sand gravel oil or grain, everyone hankers after that extra payload. First you will set your rate or more normally the customer will set the rate at say £8 per tonne. It can also be divided into zone rates as well so from the loading point it could be £6 per tonne within Zone A and £8 in Zone B. The Zones can be worked out using a circle from the loading place. ie 50km. 200km and 300km. None of this normally takes in traffic congestion, geographical points or tolls.

So for instance you could load in Immiingham and end up having to go to Hull on a zone / tonne rate and earn £180 but then knock the cost of the Humber Bridge off it and you are doing it for 30 quid less but go to Lincoln which is further you will probably be better off…

Bulk Local work normally pays better because you are loading more often and using less fuel but factor in wear and tear and delays and that will explain why tipper drivers are loonys :stuck_out_tongue:

When I started driving our boss was struggling to carry a payload of 20 tonne at the old 32500kg 4 axle. then the law changed allowing 38000 on 5 or 6 axles so people made a bit for a while if they were prepared to invest. Now a lot of bulk hauliers are after the elusive 30 tonne payload

Container and Tilt rates are set by the shipping company. Curries at 95 pence apparently and the better ones will pay more. The problem is nowadays that hauliers are frightened to charge demurrage for long delays at an RDC because they might lose the work.

Empty running is the bugbear. A good friend of mine who does caravan transport was all excited that he was being paid 85pence a mile in 1990 for running a little rigid with a trailer. That would have been good if he had been paid from Hull to Portsmouth and back. He found out they only paid him one way so at 42.5 pence per mile he might have been better off staying in bed.

Of course if he had a caravan to come back from a different company he would be living in Monaco now. I saw him only last week driving around our local village.

There are a lot cleverer people on here than me but at the end of the day the customer is king and if they shout jump, the only question is how high?

Im looking forward to some other replies about this

As a general rule on powder tankers is per ton, but some pay on a mileage basis then a terminal rate for loading and tipping.

As for mixers, its a milage and terminal basis.

Well my mate reckons it costs him £1.35 a mile too run his double drive Foden, its four years old and according too his computer in the cab its done 12000 or so hours, 1000 hrs ticking over, 4000 hours in PTO etc and at todays fuel rate he would have spent £284000 lol…

Wheel Nut:
Bulk Local work normally pays better because you are loading more often and using less fuel but factor in wear and tear and delays and that will explain why tipper drivers are loonys :stuck_out_tongue:

LOONEYS? :open_mouth:

My therapist says people should call it ‘emotionally imbalanced’. :smiley:

Tipper work is only paid one way from the quarries, unless you hire yourself out for an hourly rate on muckshifting or something similarly distasteful! :smiling_imp:

good question and one nobody can answer really, for some reason haulage rates, at times make no sense at all, for instance i did a load out of a yard in rotherham thursday, harris fencing to a place near cwmarfen, no weight involved with the stuff and probably 7t or 8t in total so thats pays next to nothing, right? wrong, break the rate down to mileage and it payed £1.80 a mile, great so we’re all going to do nothing but harris fencing from here on in!
of coarse the problem is theres nothing near cwmarfen in terms of a backload, certainly not a load of a simular weight that’ll pay that sort of money, so it’s 50 odd mile empty to cardiff steelworks for a 28t load of coils which is not only far more weight it’s also a much higher value load, so up to elland which is a simular mileage should pay something like £2.50 a mile right?
in reality if it payed that sort of money there’d be a que of wagons all the way to the seven bridge waiting to get loaded! the job actually paid £1.20 a mile! those two rates aren’t based on anything logical other than the fact that there isn’t many firms queing up to do loads out of rotherham to cwmarfen but theres plenty wanting loads out of cardiff to yorkshire.

Cheers Paul, wonder how much they charge for a shed lol…Still no one has commented on how the brewery work pays, mileage maybe ?

where the bloody hell is cwmarfen■■? :confused:

Reef:
where the bloody hell is cwmarfen■■? :confused:

“50 odd miles” from Cardiff steelworks going by Paul’s post :wink:

Paul

it took some finding i can tell you, bout time they changed all the place names into english i reckon.