Rates rates rates....

Ok I hear a lot about rates here. but rates aside for a moment the likes of the big boys advertising for subbies on a weekly basis, how much work is there likely to be? Ok the rate might be on the low side but is the work volume on a “all you can eat” scale or is the amount of work about as good as the rates?
I have a feeling I know what’s coming, but wanted to ask.

Rattray

I don’t know. But gut feeling about relentless advertising for subbies, I’d say it’s simply to build contacts ‘just in case work picks up’ and/or chuck out the scraps that don’t fit in anyone else’s business plan…

My concern exactly, wouldn’t be so bad at £1:40 per mile if you had work coming out of your ears… At least if you don’t wanna go bust you could tread water.

Be good to hear from some one who’s worked for one of these lot or currently working for one of them.

Rattray

My guess@ £1.40mile and own your truck outright or low finance payments if steady all yr round you can make a living on today’s diesel prices.
But its a living not much more!!![emoji106]

Big Truck:
My guess@ £1.40mile and own your truck outright or low finance payments if steady all yr round you can make a living on today’s diesel prices.
But its a living not much more!!![emoji106]

My diesel went up 5p itr this week and in todays post came a letter stating our rates are being cut.We haven,t had a rate rise in years so taking that into account our fuel to rate ratio is about right at the moment.But i like many other (if not all)small operators and o/d,s have to wear it or move on.The big boys operate on a 5% profit margin and with huge fleets make the shareholders happy,but i think most of you reading and writing this would have to question our viability on such a weak margin.Haven,t got the answers but i like you will keep the faith and prey for better times.

Was in the pub last night chatting to a planner from one of the big shipping companies in Immingham. He reckons subby rates have been slashed to 80p per mile…that can’t be right can it? it’s nigh on robbery!! You would be paying them to pull their trailers…apparently the ethos is use the subby at the cheapest rate until they have to move on and then look for the next poor sod who comes along as they have companies lined up for the work!!

Yep and there’s plenty of idiots willing to do ot for that as long as its paid 80ppm all the way round its a keep the bills covered job I get near That for a small van one way

Maybe i should stop looking at TM cpc courses.

Iv had a bit of van work this year at nearly a £pm. Its just very irregular.

Just a quick question when you say £1.40 per mile is that loaded miles only or each way?

Each mile with the trailer you pull or box on the back for them but they will limit your mileage and keep it as low as possible

alix776:
Yep and there’s plenty of idiots willing to do ot for that as long as its paid 80ppm all the way round its a keep the bills covered job I get near That for a small van one way

I don’t believe you could survive on 80 ppm, all miles. I charge more than that for a van.

I’d say the oft quoted £1.35 - 1.40 is about as low as you can go.

Not as a sunny you wont xlwb rates go from 70ppm to1.25 small van rates go from 45ppm to 80 ppm.

albion:

alix776:

I don’t believe you could survive on 80 ppm, all miles. I charge more than that for a van.

How many subbies do you see pulling for Sawyers with V8s??

The rates are currently £1mile all miles or £1.10mile if pulling a highcube!!![emoji15] [emoji13]

Not forgetting that’s each mile you do so if your getting enough mileage it could pay but only if you own it out right

Big Truck:

albion:

alix776:

How many subbies do you see pulling for Sawyers with V8s??

The rates are currently £1mile all miles or £1.10mile if pulling a highcube!!![emoji15] [emoji13]

You don’t have to run a V8 its not compulsory , just about sums up transport in this country at the moment !!! .

A Sawyers/MorganMcLernon subbie without a V8 is a rare sight indeed!!!
Would I want to be there running 4trips/week over 7days with truck paid for@ £1mile??
How you gonna pay for an upgrade of yoke!!!

BONKERS!!![emoji37]

Big Truck:
A Sawyers/MorganMcLernon subbie without a V8 is a rare sight indeed!!!
Would I want to be there running 4trips/week over 7days with truck paid for@ £1mile??
How you gonna pay for an upgrade of yoke!!!

BONKERS!!![emoji37]

My point entirely , well said that man .

Hi,i was on a £1.00 a Mile back in the 80s & early 90s
I dont know how you Owner Driver"s survive on £1.40 a Mile these days,if thats wat yr on!!
Im glad im out of it.Norman croad,Torquay…(Retired)

Last year doing vehicle recovery on a 3.5T beavertail was paid £1.10 for every mile… if your earning less on a 44T your bonkers!

NewbieNeil:
Was in the pub last night chatting to a planner from one of the big shipping companies in Immingham. He reckons subby rates have been slashed to 80p per mile…that can’t be right can it? it’s nigh on robbery!! You would be paying them to pull their trailers…apparently the ethos is use the subby at the cheapest rate until they have to move on and then look for the next poor sod who comes along as they have companies lined up for the work!!

I cant believe that subbies would run for 80p pm, If they do they wont last long IMO, You pay more than that for a Taxi journey, I think the haulage game is not worth a light & the firms that want drivers to run for rates like these, They are the only ones making the money, Regards Larry.