Rate Slashed / Truck for sale

Evening Folks.

Just been the victim of a suicidal rate cutting exercise by another “Haulier !!■■” Suffice to say that a rate of £1.64/ml has been slashed by 40%. Frankly I’m still in disbelief but realising that Jeremy Beadle is not about to appear and put me out of my misery!

Upshot is there is now a cheap Magnum for sale on Ebay.

If anyone is interested please take a look. Type ‘Renault Magnum 4x2’ in search box, she’s 2003 in blue/white.

Owing to forum rules I’ll have to keep my thoughts about aforementioned “Haulier” private but I’m sure you can all think of some yourself.

Sign of the times I suppose. :confused: :confused: :unamused:

Fossil

Click here for a look…

cgi.ebay.co.uk/Renault-Magnum-4x … 240%3A1318

Drifting off topic a bit but (assuming it’s not a mistake) why on earth plate a 4x2 artic as low as 23000kg? The lowest tax band (which is band A) allows you to go up to 31000kg with a tri axle trailer with a 4x2 anyway (or 28000kg with a tandem trailer or 25000kg with a single axle trailer), so as far as I can see it unless I’m missing something there’s no financial benefit to plating at less than 31000kg GTW with a 4x2 unit.

Paul

Hi Paul

I wondered when someone might ask this question. The simple answer is insurance. Basically when speaking with the broker he advised that the insurance cost is based primarily on the plated weight before vehicle value. I queried him intensely about it but as soon as he gave me the quotes I had no argument. Broker by the way is Towergate and they have been very good in terms of looking at all details of the operation to make sure we are not overpaying. Last premium for this truck Fully Comp, including 6 tautliner trailers with detached cover, all risks GIT to £5k,(Load value only £3k), Any Driver over 25, Employers & PL, PAYABLE = £1995.00. As you can see it pays to look at the detail. Hence been plating at 23t for last 10 years. Hope this solves your dilemma.

Regards, Clive

Fossil:
Hi Paul

I wondered when someone might ask this question. The simple answer is insurance. Basically when speaking with the broker he advised that the insurance cost is based primarily on the plated weight before vehicle value.

I can see why you did that but it’s going to make it difficult to sell unless you find someone on a similar contract to your previous one !

Fossil:
I wondered when someone might ask this question. The simple answer is insurance. Basically when speaking with the broker he advised that the insurance cost is based primarily on the plated weight before vehicle value.

Well there’s something I never knew!

Paul

Denis F:

Fossil:
Hi Paul

I can see why you did that but it’s going to make it difficult to sell unless you find someone on a similar contract to your previous one !

Its not difficult to get it replated, isnt it just a case of putting bigger bolts in the 5th wheel and getting it replated at the centre or has it changed

23000 kgs thats low, I take it you had fairly light loads then and your road tax must have been pennies!

routier:

Denis F:

Fossil:
Hi Paul

Its not difficult to get it replated, isnt it just a case of putting bigger bolts in the 5th wheel and getting it replated at the centre or has it changed

23000 kgs thats low, I take it you had fairly light loads then and your road tax must have been pennies!

The system has changed now if the truck is designed originally for say 40t then it would just be a paper exercise at any VOSA test station to obtain a new plating certificate.

routier:
your road tax must have been pennies!

It would be in band A which is £165 for the year - cheaper than many cars!

Paul

Denis F:

Hi Denis

I don’t totally agree with the above. It’s simply a visit to VOSA and on the last trip £22.50 to put her at whatever weight someone wants between 23t & 40t. The only reason I haven’t done it is because you can bet I’ll pick the wrong weight!

Regards

Clive

Fossil:

Denis F:

Hi Denis

I don’t totally agree with the above. It’s simply a visit to VOSA and on the last trip £22.50 to put her at whatever weight someone wants between 23t & 40t. The only reason I haven’t done it is because you can bet I’ll pick the wrong weight!

Regards

Clive

fair enough :wink: I’d still be tempted to put it back to 40t though

if its paid for why not hang on to it then until (now theres a dream at the moment ) pick up then if something comes a long youll be able to pick up some work even it means that youve got to up it to 40t

Denis F:

But then, assuming he wants be able to still use it while he’s waiting for it to sell and/or offer test drives, he would have to pay for some road tax at 40T (which is £1850 for a year or £1017 for 6mo) and of course pay more for the insurance too.

Paul

repton:

Denis F:

But then, assuming he wants be able to still use it while he’s waiting for it to sell and/or offer test drives, he would have to pay for some road tax at 40T (which is £1850 for a year or £1017 for 6mo) and of course pay more for the insurance too.

Paul

ok that’s true as well :blush: :blush: :blush:

didn’t realise VED was that much ! I only pay £880 for a W & D plated at 40t :confused: :confused: :confused: ( without any RPC or low emission stuff - it will drop to £510 when I change the truck a Euro 5 one :open_mouth: :open_mouth: )

Fossil:

Denis F:

Hi Denis

Regards

Clive

Hi Clive

It might be worth putting this on the listing as it looks like not everyone knows it and it might put someone off. I know you can’t change a listing once someone has bid, so I have asked you the question and you can show the reply to everyone.

Sorry I’m not interested but good luck!!

TC

wel that the best thing to do sell the truck and let te polls and lativan do it all mate that what gorden brown wants

Catman wrote

It might be worth putting this on the listing as it looks like not everyone knows it and it might put someone off. I know you can’t change a listing once someone has bid, so I have asked you the question and you can show the reply to everyone.

Sorry I’m not interested but good luck!!

TC

[/quote]
Thanks TC

Good point so I’ve amended the listing to clear up any confusion.

Regards

Clive