Rant about roads

this could be a big thread :laughing:

Richard Simpson mentioned some months ago, about bypasses being, i suppose, contaminated by development and therefore new junctions which defeats the purpose and benefits of the bypass. my 2 hotspots for this type of thing are the edinburgh bypass and the A1 at newcastle
edinburgh bypass:
1 roundabout causes enormous congestion every single day and why? it has a roundabout with traffic lights. the lights are on constantly which is annoying at night when you are sat alone waiting at a red light.
A1 newcastle:
this isnt even a key strategic route, its an arterial link across the border and yet newcastle authorities have turned it, not into a bypass but into a ring road. there is a sliproad at every blink of the eye which is a nightmare for those of us who are passing by. its not going to improve on its own so its high time they did something about it to allow through traffic to get on their way instead of being stuck behind the locals who are joining on one sliproad and leaving at the next. i would like to know how the hell it got like this in the first place. how did no one have the foresight to see the problems that cost cutting would create? build a proper ring road and lose some sliproads to enable the A1 to return to what it is supposed to be :imp:

I agree with you on this one Richie, The western bypass in Gateshead is a disaster area, as you say to many slip roads in such a short distance, no need, just close a few and all the chaos will be solved. I work up in Bedlington near Blyth and to get to my house in Birtley should only take 30mins tops but on a Friday it can take up to an hour if not longer, thank god i only do the journey once a week.

If the roundabout your talking about on the city bypass is Sheriffhall where the A7 joins, ive heard the reason it is an at grade junction (roundabout) is because of problems with the fields surrounding the junction because of old mine works, wouldnt be able to build slip roads and other things to make it free flowing. Would cost to much hence the roundabout.

ANother problem with the city bypass is farmer bloody palmer and bob the builder are allowed on it in JCB’s and tractors even at peak times which causes chaos. Supposedlty stretch that goes up hill towards the m8 they want to make the hard shoulder on the city bypass a running lane, but again bright spark Edinburgh council want to make it a bus lane ! Even tho ive never seen a Lothain transport bus on the bypass!

M8 in Glasgow and even the M8 between Glasgow and Edinburgh ill thought out, done for cheapness rather than futurbility, M8 should be three lanes between glasgow and edinbugh, the M8 in Glasgow itself shouldnt drop from 5 lanes to 2 lanes creates havoc. Again West Lothain more councils interfering talking about making the m8 hard shoulder a bus lane !

M25 again it was designed as a long distance route, was meant to only have limited junctions with the main routes and main motorways, but to get planning permission pushed thro every tiny place demanded a junction, which lead it to be a mess of local and longer distance traffic. It was supposed to be a London bypass, not the route to pop on for a few junctiosn to get to the shops.

Same M6 Birmingham, what bright spark thought it would be a good idea to build it so close to the city. M6 orginally should have been built where the M6 Toll is and maybe an off shootto get to Brum not right through it causing again chaos long distance and local traffic. but again suppoedly West Midlands demanded the M6 run so close to Birmingham and again pandered to.

Same M6 Birmingham, what bright spark thought it would be a good idea to build it so close to the city. M6 orginally should have been built where the M6 Toll is and maybe an off shootto get to Brum not right through it causing again chaos long distance and local traffic. but again suppoedly West Midlands demanded the M6 run so close to Birmingham and again pandered to.

cos it makes getting out of Brum quickerâ– â– ? :laughing: :wink:

ROG:
cos it makes getting out of Brum quickerâ– â– ? :laughing: :wink:

It does :question: :question: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing:

scanny77:
this could be a big thread :laughing:

Richard Simpson mentioned some months ago, about bypasses being, i suppose, contaminated by development and therefore new junctions which defeats the purpose and benefits of the bypass.

Every time a bypass is built, they always seem to start building a massive housing estate next to it, im sure some of these bypasses are only built to allow housing developments to take place.

Kenny1975:
West Midlands demanded the M6 run so close to Birmingham and again pandered to.

how many can remember the days before the M6 was built thru brum,my old man can remember it starting at jnc 12,and the days before all the flyovers and underpasses,in the centre of brum.

me, just glad to get thru in less than a hour.