M4/M5 interchange - confusing signs
M1 junctions 28-32 - congestion
M6 Birmingham - traffic mixing
M4 Maidenhead - tailgating
M27 Southampton - foreign drivers
M8 Glasgow - slip road into fast lane
M4 Wales - Severn Bridge
M18 Doncaster - confusing junctions

The A1 (m) doesn,t have any roundabouts!!!.. the A1 does but not the motorway bits apart from the A1(M)-M18 junction which is still classed as a “motorway roundabout”.

M18 Doncaster why would anyone find it confusing■■?, apart from being abou t 10 jctns that are signed for Doncaster its hardly confusing is it■■?. if you want to go to Doncaster take any one of them you will get there with one of them…

M8 Glasgow as far as i am aware its the only sliproad that enters in the fast lane in the UK ( i may be wrong) but its a great idea and there is plenty room to build up your speed before joining the motorway (unless you are in a truck)…

Conrad King, psychologist for the RAC Foundation, said for people to experience anxiety on the motorway was “quite natural and understandable”

He said: "This anxiety becomes a problem when drivers fail to get enough practice on the motorways, and so don’t ever fully eliminate their fears.

“Some drivers build up their fears so much that they create new completely irrational fears which serve to reinforce their original anxiety.”

He added anxiety can be managed through appropriate post-test driver training, regular driving practice, breathing exercises and listening to calming music.

So i guess he doesnt recommend Motorhead Killed by Death as appriopriate then■■?..

Like so many of us who have driven trucks and still do i would recommend these people who are a little nervous when driving on a motorway either be shot or banned from them or spend a day in a truck then they might realise that driving a car which has a little :astonished: bit more accelaration isn`t that bad after all…

M4/M5 interchange - confusing signs ■■?.

Only if you dont ■■■■■■■ read them and like a majority of people wait until the last minute to decide where you actually want to go, try pulling 45ft and not knowing where your going!!!..

M27 Southampton - foreign drivers

Its just as well they don,t come in from any other ports in the uk or there would be bedlam, can you imagine foreign drivers coming up the M20■■ or the M62 or even the A14 ■■■■ that would just bring the country to a halt,its just as well there are no ports at the ends of these roads…

M6 Birmingham - traffic mixing .

Maybe we should just have one lane on Motorways that would stop all that lane changing stuff EH?..

M4 Wales - Severn Bridge

Apart from deciding which lane has the shortest queue i cant for the life of me find it confusing or intimidating can you■■?.

I remember reading on here somwhere ( or was it the pda?) about a local Police force and a local haulier getting together and showing each other what life is all about in each other,s job maybe Trucknet should organise this sometime somewhere just to show people what it,s actually like to drive a truck, then they might go back to their car,s and have a little bit more confidence and realise that its so ■■■■■■■ easy.

I think this can be put down to one major factor in the driving test as it has no need to understand motorways nor does it involve actually driving on them, or another factor is people driving with their ■■■■■■■ eyes shut and not planning their journey…

As for tailgating and congestion you buy a car and that`s part of the deal live with it or go catch a bus…

Major rant over but no need to wear helmet as im sure im quite right with the above statement…

M8 glasgow…slip road into fast lane

you are very much correct there jammy,this is the only slip road in the uk that comes into the fast lane.its just short of j16 port dundas and the lane it enter’s on is for charing cross.the poilce are trying to get it closed due to the danger of it.if you wish to get off at j16 port dundas you are in danger of killing yourself or causing a very bad accident as you need to cross 4 lanes of traffic at 70mph,a very donting thought.but you get the halfwit that will stop at nothing to get into that lane.if you require to get to port dundas from this slip road your best bet is carry on in the lane you enter the m/way and come up to charing x,go round right at the lights and re-enter the m/way east bound and exit the 1st slip road sighposted for springburn.it might seem a pain in the rear but its the safest way for you and other road users.there is another route at charing cross,but if in artic or rigid this is easier than going through sauciehall street.just a little info incase it happens to one of yous.

wrong post …ooops :unamused:

jammymutt:
M8 Glasgow as far as i am aware its the only sliproad that enters in the fast lane in the UK ( i may be wrong) but its a great idea and there is plenty room to build up your speed before joining the motorway (unless you are in a truck)…

sorry but when you join the M60 northbound at bredbury/stockport you enter in lane 3 and have to then pull accross three lanes of fast traffic (unless of course you are a sprinter in which case you just floor it and keep going :laughing: )

jammymutt:
M4/M5 interchange - confusing signs ■■?.

Only if you dont [zb] read them and like a majority of people wait until the last minute to decide where you actually want to go, try pulling 45ft and not knowing where your going!!!..

This is an obvious example of people only being able to look 10m beyond the ends of their bonnets. The only slightly confusing signage is on the M5 southbound, where the A38 turnoff is so soon after the interchange.

M6 Birmingham - traffic mixing .

Maybe we should just have one lane on Motorways that would stop all that lane changing stuff EH?..

Well, I don’t tend to drive much on the M6 in Brum (apart from the bit north of the M5 interchange), but with the left-hand lane repeatedly appearing and disappearing, it can be a little daunting for an inexperienced/nervous driver (although there is probably an argument to say that they shouldn’t be there anyway)

However, if you don’t know it, Spaghetti can be a bit of a problem when it’s covered in roadworks (i.e. always), so you can’t actually get into the lane you want.

Having lived less than a mile from both the above junctions, however, I’m pretty confident on both of them.

M4 Wales - Severn Bridge

Apart from deciding which lane has the shortest queue i cant for the life of me find it confusing or intimidating can you■■?.

Unless you’re scared of heights, or it’s windy. Maybe more of an issue on the old Severn Bridge.
Or worrying about whether you’ve got enough money to pay the toll…

I think what the report shows is how bad our driver training is, if people arn’t prepared and able to use the road network or those who are really incapable aren’t filtered out. :confused: :open_mouth:

jammymutt:
I remember reading on here somwhere ( or was it the pda?) about a local Police force and a local haulier getting together and showing each other what life is all about in each other,s job maybe Trucknet should organise this sometime somewhere just to show people what it,s actually like to drive a truck, then they might go back to their car,s and have a little bit more confidence and realise that its so [zb] easy.

It was me that posted about this, the firm involved was Bulmers.

kitkat:
M8 glasgow…slip road into fast lane

you are very much correct there jammy,this is the only slip road in the uk that comes into the fast lane…

what about the m80 between stepps roundabout and the m8? :wink:

M60■■?

03sprinter:
M60■■?

Agree with you there fella it is a stupid way for an hgv to enter a fast moving road

simon

jammymutt:
I remember reading on here somwhere ( or was it the pda?) about a local Police force and a local haulier getting together and showing each other what life is all about in each other,s job maybe Trucknet should organise this sometime somewhere just to show people what it,s actually like to drive a truck, then they might go back to their car,s and have a little bit more confidence and realise that its so [zb] easy.

I’m involved with the local IAM group, and I’m trying to get a “Truck Awareness” event organised so that we can at least put car drivers in the seat of a lorry, and let them see how little we can see behind. Also maybe do some turning etc. so they can get an idea of how much room we need.

I’ll never forget my Class 1 instructor’s pet phrase “show them how much room you need” :smiley: