Q For the Ex Middle East Drivers

Hi All

Hope you are all well, Bit of a long shot really can you recall a company from the Cardiff area who had
a large sized fleet mainly Daf’s painted in an orange colour that ran to the Middle east right up until
the early eighties.
A ex owner driver like myself on the run emailed me the other day to enquire about them, they had some great
experienced hands on the job last time i met them was 1981-82 not sure, In Iskenderun.
My old mate said the last job they were doing in the early eighties here in the UK was from Cardiff- Milton Keynes
to The Myson radiator factory in Wolverton ( Trunking )
Any info on these guys to help 2 old duffers memories will be Appreciated

Regards
Kenny

Hi Kenny

My minds at a blank with the colour of the Trucks are u sure they were from Wales. Hicks was the main welsh transport to ME from Wales ( I think ) and they were Blue and White wish I could help you sorry

Roger Haywood

John Evans from Newport ran red Dafs but can’t think of anyone in orange.

sgt major roadworks:
Hi All

Hope you are all well, Bit of a long shot really can you recall a company from the Cardiff area who had
a large sized fleet mainly Daf’s painted in an orange colour that ran to the Middle east right up until
the early eighties.
A ex owner driver like myself on the run emailed me the other day to enquire about them, they had some great
experienced hands on the job last time i met them was 1981-82 not sure, In Iskenderun.
My old mate said the last job they were doing in the early eighties here in the UK was from Cardiff- Milton Keynes
to The Myson radiator factory in Wolverton ( Trunking )
Any info on these guys to help 2 old duffers memories will be Appreciated

Regards
Kenny

Did they have any link to these lot who apparently became Monex?

Paul John:

mechanic77:

pete 359:
this firm were? as i remember from pontypool/blackwood? area.my mate mechanic77 will tell you.they ran several transcon’s and others.someone once told me they later became monex transport,who are also no longer with us.

I remember them being based on the Polo grounds estate near Pontypool, wasn’t aware of a Monex connection though. [saw a Monex artic in Mitchel Troy services on way to show saturday]

I think it was Tony Dumelow who had the red Transcon from Merthyr, he was from the Rogerstone/Risca area as you said but haven’t seen or heard of the truck being around for years. He was a big Transconti fan and had a large display of them in model form too I recall.

I remember this transcon, plus a few others and some Scania’s. Iirc Andrew was running a couple over the water late 80’s. The red was metallic, he had a 4x2 transcon for sale, I wanted to swap my RS 2000 for it but he wanted cash. By the time I had advertised the car and sold it for about a grand more than the tractor was worth, I called Andrew to be told it was sold. Sometimes when you need a truck quick, which you can put on the road the next day you loose sense of the value of such precious items.
Some neighbours of mechanic77, HH Williams, sons offered me good money for the RS but when they told me they were going to rally it, I had to walk away, it was just to good and was a collecters motor. This was my first sign of becoming an old ■■■■, as it happens the car went to a good home in Chepstow.
Wasn’t the ministry test centre on Polo Grounds ind este. Memory is fading now, time for a nap.

Chers Paul

That transcon looks like one that CVH south Wales used to run on the M/E

klunk/■■■■■■■■

I remember a short stocky Welsh guy from CVH named Alfie Jones, always looked like he had been working on his Transcon :confused:
I also took a young blonde haired guy named Dougy on his very first trip to the ME, I think he tagged on to me in Hungary.

Reddesertfox:

klunk/■■■■■■■■

I remember a short stocky Welsh guy from CVH named Alfie Jones, always looked like he had been working on his Transcon :confused:
I also took a young blonde haired guy named Dougy on his very first trip to the ME, I think he tagged on to me in Hungary.

I am not sure if CVH bought or ran amg 801t, but their colours were similar to Astrans. I remember Transcons and Scanias in yellow and red.
I hitched a lift with Alfie 85/86 from Dover to Swindon, he was telling me about his trip, and the running repairs etc etc.
I new the guy who owned CVH, and last time I saw him about 19 yrs ago I think they were still doing work for Davies Turner. His daughter was running the office, a chip off the old block she was too.
At that time they were on the Bedwas ind este.

Regards Paul

Hi Paul
85 -86 sounds about right for Alfie…I wonder what happened to him? He really was a sound bloke and in addition he had the most amazing singing voice…

Regards RDF :wink:

Thanks for the replies

We spoke about this last night and are certain they were an orange colour ,BUT could have been a faded red ■■?
you all know what the heat did out there.
We also found out that one of the old hands there really scruffy guy always wore a woolly hat thick welsh accent
was killed between Cardiff and MK in the 80s big crash apparently, RIP .

They definitely were un marked units I can see them in my mind ( they had a name on the headboard but cant see that age thing! )

Regards
Kenny

Reddesertfox:
Hi Paul
85 -86 sounds about right for Alfie…I wonder what happened to him? He really was a sound bloke and in addition he had the most amazing singing voice…

Regards RDF :wink:

Little Alfie alive & well at Pat Seal’s funeral Feb’ 2010.

Dave.

Duggie, again taken at Pat’s Funeral Feb’ 2010.

Dave.

Thanks for that Dave

They were both good guys and am sure they still are :slight_smile: Shame in both instances someone appears to have stolen their hair :laughing: If you are in touch say hi from me… ATB…RDF :wink:

Hi Kenny, can you ask your old mate if that company that he was thinking about all those years ago was Welsh International from Penarth ?.

Regards Steve.

Hi Steve

Thanks for this, Do you know I think you may be correct ! I will email him now and let you know this evening

Regards
Kenny

mushroomman:
Hi Kenny, can you ask your old mate if that company that he was thinking about all those years ago was Welsh International from Penarth ?.

Regards Steve.

sgt major roadworks:
Hi Steve

Thanks for this, Do you know I think you may be correct ! I will email him now and let you know this evening

Regards
Kenny

mushroomman:

Regards Steve.

It’s a VERY faded red if it was Welsh International that you were thinking of :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Ron, maybe you or somebody can help me with this little query. I remember meeting a Welshman, early in 1980 on the services in West Germany as I was on my way to reload at Volkswagen’s place near Kassel. He was on his way back from the Middle East with a very dirty tilt, very little money left and he was waiting for a backload, as the load that he had just been to collect had already gone. Now I seem to think that the unit had the letters L.E.P. on the door and it was an orange / reddish colour ( it might have even been a D.A.F ). Many years later I can remember seeing a lot of L.E.P. running around the U.K. are they still going.
Now the question is were L.E.P. from the Cardiff area ?, did they ever do Middle East or was this an owner driver who had bought the unit from them and they had not taken the insignia off the door.
The truth is out there somewhere :laughing: .

Regards Steve.

mushroomman:
Hi Ron, maybe you or somebody can help me with this little query. I remember meeting a Welshman, early in 1980 on the services in West Germany as I was on my way to reload at Volkswagen’s place near Kassel. He was on his way back from the Middle East with a very dirty tilt, very little money left and he was waiting for a backload, as the load that he had just been to collect had already gone. Now I seem to think that the unit had the letters L.E.P. on the door and it was an orange / reddish colour ( it might have even been a D.A.F ). Many years later I can remember seeing a lot of L.E.P. running around the U.K. are they still going.
Now the question is were L.E.P. from the Cardiff area ?, did they ever do Middle East or was this an owner driver who had bought the unit from them and they had not taken the insignia off the door.
The truth is out there somewhere :laughing: .

Regards Steve.

Lep Transport Ltd. is one of the famous names connected with modern transport. It has made good use of the possibilities offered by Goole on account of its excellent geographical position and as a world wide organisation with expert staff and facilities; it has the complete answer to all transport problems facing the exporter and importer.

A measure of this success is shown by the growth of the company in the last thirty years. Today, with ten premises in the town and docks, it is one of the largest employers in Goole and has a prominent share of the shipping trade between Goole and the Continental ports. Lep Transport Ltd. also owns a large fleet of up-to-date motor vehicles which collect and deliver merchandise daily in important towns, the lorries being maintained and serviced in its own repair shops.

Apart from general forwarding and shipping, Lep Transport Ltd. functions as stevedores, cargo supervisors and charterers for bulk cargoes. A separate department is devoted to packing and preservation to withstand tropical conditions.

With road transport, lighterage, packing, shipping and chartering, insurance and travel sections, each offering a specialized service or combining together according to the requirements of the client, Lep Transport Ltd. has made Goole known in many countries.

LEP Transport is now known as Geologistics which is apparently now known as Agility…
agilitylogistics.com/PressRe … vices.aspx

LEP Transport did run some red lorries, an old family friend was the managing director in Goole until he left to set up the Central Trailer Rentco operation in Hull.

LEP Transport did run some red lorries, an old family friend was the managing director in Goole until he left to set up the Central Trailer Rentco operation in Hull.

Hi Wheelnut

Was this late seventies / early eighties as I recall Malcolm & Sid working at the Rentco yard at the dock entrance ( King George dock )
If I am correct it was known as Rentco then maybe your friend was after this

Regards
Kenny

Ron

I think you are correct It cannot have been these guys as you say very faded red indeed !!!

If any other co’s come to mind Please let me know as this is driving us both Nuts !

Best Regards to all
Kenny

rondavies:

sgt major roadworks:
Hi Steve

Regards
Kenny

mushroomman:

Regards Steve.

It’s a VERY faded red if it was Welsh International that you were thinking of :laughing: :laughing:

whatever happened to eddie nixon?