Anybody remember this MIddle east running company

I got this picture off my old boss who used to drive this motor. Here its loaded for Teheran

Remember the name but it’s a long time ago and off the top of my head i can’t recall any of the drivers.
The DAF 2600 brings back memories,I was tramping in the UK with one in WILD TRANSPORT colours in 1973 just before I started on Middle East,see my Avtar.Beautiful motor.

The name of the guy driving this moyor is Ken Harvey, my old boss. I’ve borrowed some of his old middle east pics and will put them in the pics forum.

Paul

Nice pic of the 2600. My old boss bought a couple.He had a drawbar skelly outfit and a unit both on L reg I think.

Paul have you ever come across a couple of drivers from Bolton. Carl Ryan and Alan Ashcroft. They both subbed for Whittles.

Havent seen Carl for years but Alan just got fatter :stuck_out_tongue:

The pic of the Daf brings back memories for me too. When my brother and I were thinking about going into business together, about mid 70s I suppose, we nearly bought one through Taylors of Ailsworth(?) Peterboro. Seemed like a good deal on the surface but somehow we were a bit suspicious of it, being tied to taking work from one haulier all the time.
Were we wrong, did anybody take them up on it? Are they still going?

Yes you were wrong David. I took them up on their offer & I am now living next door to Chelsea Abromovich! Not many truckers drive Rolls Royce’s but I am the hiccup in the system.What a pity you didn’t sign on the dotted line…now ,who is going to light this cigar for me…?

No sorry Malc not heard of them guys but I can try and do a search with local rag that my wife works for if your interested in gettin in touch with them. Do you know a guy called Alan Dean or Orviille as we used to call hiom because of his high pitched voice, he worked with me at Harveys doing Rumo, tyhen went on to Murrfitts, then Bergans out of trafford park again doing Rumo where he earnt the name Crayon man

Paul

Paul:
No sorry Malc not heard of them guys but I can try and do a search with local rag that my wife works for if your interested in gettin in touch with them. Do you know a guy called Alan Dean or Orviille as we used to call hiom because of his high pitched voice, he worked with me at Harveys doing Rumo, tyhen went on to Murrfitts, then Bergans out of trafford park again doing Rumo where he earnt the name Crayon man

Paul

Its ok Paul. I know where Alan is. I have worked with him at another firm. Him and Carl were in some sort of business arrangement and it all went sour in Baghdad. Carl had his own lorry and worked for GLP (Chris Brearley) and then for Landcrab International

I used to see a couple of the Bergen lads about and probably have met Orville on NSF, although I have never been a regular on the love boat :stuck_out_tongue:

yes i use to drive for them to iran and saudi we had dafs and volvos the drivers there were ken harvey,ken hardman,peter kelet,bob greenhorn,alan blackburn,tea pot who use to drive the 2500daf and me my name is mervyn john please get in touch with me if you like any more info regards mervyn

Hello Dieselman, I worked with a guy at Dow Freight called Billy Fuller and I am sure that he once told me that he drove for R.F. Interports from Leigh sometime in the 70’s.
Does that name ring any bells ?.

mushroomman:
Hello Dieselman, I worked with a guy at Dow Freight called Billy Fuller and I am sure that he once told me that he drove for R.F. Interports from Leigh sometime in the 70’s.
Does that name ring any bells ?.

that name rings a bell cant place him at the mom did he live in birmingham regards mervyn

paul i remember that truck i use to drive for them to iran and saudi know kenny and all the others well like to see the picture you have got from ken regards mervyn ex rfinterport driver

paul im an ex rf interport driver was there till they closed down the drivers there were john rawly,peter kelett,
bob greenhorn,ken hardman,kenny harvey ,tea pot,alan blackburn,and me mervyn john was running iran and saudi with dafs and volvos like to see the pics u borrowed from kenny if possible get in touch with me regards mervyn
ps ralph tunner was the owner we were at sandy lane leigh in lancs

mushroom man his name wasn’t tony fuller by any chane was it lived in birmingham or near there
he came at the last knockings just before interport closed down regard mervyn

diesleman:
mushroom man his name wasn’t tony fuller by any chane was it lived in birmingham or near there
he came at the last knockings just before interport closed down regard mervyn

Hi Dieselman,
Do you know what Ken Hardman is doing now ? The last time I saw him was about 15 years or more ago, I brought him up from Pireaus and dropped him at his Girlfriends bar in Holland. I also knew his younger brother Darren fairly well.
Cheers, Archie.

Dieselman, no his name was Billy and I am sure that he worked with Ken Harvey before becoming an owner driver.
I think somebody posted a photo somewhere of I.I.R.C. an R.F. Interport Maggie ? with the name Jason on the front, it was a great old photo maybe Paul remembers seeing it ? :slight_smile:

I met Bill Fuller in about 1988, he had just bought an ex Dow Freight truck, and was pulling containers out of Trafford park. As he was just starting up, he needed some help getting his “O” licence.
I have often wondered what became of him.

Does anybody remember the DOW freight lads Manchester? Arthur Smith, Chris O’Leary, Alan West. I worked late 1960, mid 70’s For Williames Transport Ireland. A lot of the ex Dow lads moved over to Williames about 1974. They all had travelled Middle East.

kevmorrow:
Does anybody remember the DOW freight lads Manchester? Arthur Smith, Chris O’Leary, Alan West. I worked late 1960, mid 70’s For Williames Transport Ireland. A lot of the ex Dow lads moved over to Williames about 1974. They all had travelled Middle East.

Hi Kev, I can remember a lot of the Dow Freight drivers from Stockport but I can’t remember any of those names. The only Irishman that I can remember was Ray Kierden who was I.I.R.C. one of their first drivers and I have a feeling that Ray, who was a smashing old bloke might of done Middle East for R. F. Interports from Leigh before he joined Dow.
Irish John Conneely worked at Dow’s Swindon depot after doing Middle East for a guy called Bob Kilby from Swindon.
Billy Fuller could of been a fitter at R.F. Interports, I know that he went to Iran in the early seventies but that was in a campervan on the Hippy Trail.

The photo of the R.F. Interport truck ( I think it was a Maggie ) that was posted somewhere on this site about three years ago with the name Jason on the front might of belonged to Trucker Ash, so lets hope that he can dig it out and put it on this thread.

mushroomman:

kevmorrow:

Hi Kev, I can remember a lot of the Dow Freight drivers from Stockport but I can’t remember any of those names. The only Irishman that I can remember was Ray Kierden who was I.I.R.C. one of their first drivers and I have a feeling that Ray, who was a smashing old bloke might of done Middle East for R. F. Interports from Leigh before he joined Dow.
Irish John Conneely worked at Dow’s Swindon depot after doing Middle East for a guy called Bob Kilby from Swindon.
Billy Fuller could of been a fitter at R.F. Interports, I know that he went to Iran in the early seventies but that was in a campervan on the Hippy Trail.

The photo of the R.F. Interport truck ( I think it was a Maggie ) that was posted somewhere on this site about three years ago with the name Jason on the front might of belonged to Trucker Ash, so lets hope that he can dig it out and put it on this thread.

I worked with a guy who worked for dow,s when i worked for CERT his name is John Wrench and i,m still in contact with him if anyone remembers him give me a shout i,m sure he said hes got photos from his days at dow,s