Q For the Ex Middle East Drivers

sgt major roadworks:
LEP Transport did run some red lorries, an old family friend was the managing director in Goole until he left to set up the Central Trailer Rentco operation in Hull.

Hi Wheelnut

Was this late seventies / early eighties as I recall Malcolm & Sid working at the Rentco yard at the dock entrance ( King George dock )
If I am correct it was known as Rentco then maybe your friend was after this

Regards
Kenny

His name was Edward (Cretney) may have been as late as 85. He may have been the CTR link.

Tiphook, a company incorporated in the United Kingdom, now has three main areas of
business: container rental, trailer rental and railway wagon rental. Tiphook has been a fast- growing
company since its foundation by Mr Robert Montague in 1978. During the last four years annual
turnover has been expanding by over 50 per cent annually.

Originally established as a container rental company Tiphook acquired Central Trailer
Rental in 1982. It became a public company in 1985. In November 1988 it acquired Rentco
International Ltd, another trailer rental company. Following that acquisition its trailer rental division
was renamed Central Trailer Rentco.

hi guys.sorry but iv’e just got back so have only today checked the computer.re.this thread about the red trucks from wales from sgt major rdwks.i think that you will find that welsh international had mostly red trucks in the mid to late 70s running M.E. they done a lot of iran and iraq.the picture i took of eddie nixon in the 111 scania was in iran.the scania and a volvo f89,driven by eddies mate ken were,as i remember,about the only two cream coloured motors they had,the othere being red.regards.mike sargent[no major]
p.s.the only other companies that i can remember having red trucks were frank white and taffy davies.and they were from the north.

hutpik:
hi guys.sorry but iv’e just got back so have only today checked the computer.re.this thread about the red trucks from wales from sgt major rdwks.i think that you will find that welsh international had mostly red trucks in the mid to late 70s running M.E. they done a lot of iran and iraq.the picture i took of eddie nixon in the 111 scania was in iran.the scania and a volvo f89,driven by eddies mate ken were,as i remember,about the only two cream coloured motors they had,the othere being red.regards.mike sargent[no major]
p.s.the only other companies that i can remember having red trucks were frank white and taffy davies.and they were from the north.

Hi hutpik, yes I also thought that Welsh International from Cardiff had red motors, I am not sure now if my memories are fading as well as their red paint work :cry: .
I don’t suppose that you ever met a Welsh owner driver who did Middle East work in an ex L.E.P. unit did you :wink: .
Also, didn’t Frank White from Scotland have orange D.A.F.'s ( Colin will know ) Taffy Davies were red but can anybody remember another company with red motors called SAMSHIPS, I think that they were from Londonjohn :laughing: .

Regards Steve.

Re. SAMSHIPS - there is a picture of one of their vehicles under ESSEX BOYS (page 3).

Dai Blunt had a couple of red daf’s which were used on m/e he came from newport area I think

hi mushroom.iv’e had a look through my albums and the only pichures i can find of welsh int are the cream 111 of eddie nixon,the cream f89 of ken,and 2 or three red f88s with welsh int cardiff on the doors taken 75,76,77.the only pic i have of frank whites is a red daf with smudger,rab and murray by the trailer box.i thought all franks motors were dafs except davy moffats f89.i don’t remember anyone who pulled for lep but you met so many people in those days it’s hard to remember.the only other companies i remember with red dafs were P.I.E.[they also had f89s].and my old company Afghan int.but kabul is a bloody long way from cardiff even if the languages sound the same :wink: best mike

mushroomman:
can anybody remember another company with red motors called SAMSHIPS, I think that they were from Londonjohn :laughing: .

Regards Steve.

Used to see Samships in Piraeus When I was doing Greece.