middle east

Carl:
its a bit vague this one so bear with me got talkin to a fella at sainsbury hamshall who used to do middle east he said theres a book coming out soon about the middle east with loads of great photos some of them his.anyway he said he used to do it for a firm from the blackcountry and he had a daf 2800 he also said he went as far as karachi during the seventies and early eighties i didnt get his name but he was driving a white fh xl and he only worked weekends and the firm subbed to turners of soham.so if anyone knows of any companies that did the middle east with dafs let me know he did tell me but ive forgot the name.he had some great stories and a really nice fella. :laughing:

i agree with wheelnut i used to work at lobo i drove a volovo 88 we had a few dafs they were from bordsley green brum

egg on legs

LAWRABIAN FREIGHT
ROY BRADFORD
ran a mixed fleet including dafs…cos i worked for both companies…

In the later years there was Landfast from the black country, 3 or 4 dafs on there. Joe Toole was iliving n Thailand last time I spoke to him.

Neil had a Daf but now works for Carlsson. I remember another bloke from Cambridge who had a Daf too, He went to work for Murfitts

Wheel Nut:
I remember another bloke from Cambridge who had a Daf too, He went to work for Murfitts

hughie ashton? not sure but may have been him - by the way for all you M/E devotees chris hooper is back on doing italy-doha for astrans, shipped out
earlier this week to tip milan with an ex-subbie of ours, you heard it here 1st! :wink:

jj72:

Wheel Nut:
I remember another bloke from Cambridge who had a Daf too, He went to work for Murfitts

hughie ashton? not sure but may have been him - by the way for all you M/E devotees chris hooper is back on doing italy-doha for astrans, shipped out
earlier this week to tip milan with an ex-subbie of ours, you heard it here 1st! :wink:

Thats him, whats he up to now? I ran with Hughie a few times :stuck_out_tongue:

Carl:
its a bit vague this one so bear with me got talkin to a fella at sainsbury hamshall who used to do middle east he said theres a book coming out soon about the middle east with loads of great photos some of them his.anyway he said he used to do it for a firm from the blackcountry and he had a daf 2800 he also said he went as far as karachi during the seventies and early eighties i didnt get his name but he was driving a white fh xl and he only worked weekends and the firm subbed to turners of soham.so if anyone knows of any companies that did the middle east with dafs let me know he did tell me but ive forgot the name.he had some great stories and a really nice fella. :laughing:

i don,t know but maybe its ronnie slater drove for lobo/c v h
egg on legs

jj72:

Wheel Nut:

earlier this week to tip milan with an ex-subbie of ours, you heard it here 1st! :wink:[/quote

i thought astrans sold out hooperman i thought put the sand under the carpet doing italy yes i can belive but back to the sand well ■■?
egg on legs
in paradise

Wheel Nut:
Thats him, whats he up to now? I ran with Hughie a few times :stuck_out_tongue:

erm dunno malc, never particularly got on with him :confused: :blush:

chris hooper has written into trucking mag and says he,s back on m/e with seymoor transport with a few other old subbies from astran .he,s now running a left ■■■■■■ 95 500 super space cab

Funnily enough I spotted an ex-Norman Offer 95-500 left ■■■■■■ with sparkly new TIR plates pulling a plain red euroliner heading for dover a couple of weeks ago.

It was running in convoy with an oldish magnum pulling an Astran trailer.

Cheers
Neilf

Carl:
chris hooper has written into trucking mag and says he,s back on m/e with seymoor transport with a few other old subbies from astran .he,s now running a left ■■■■■■ 95 500 super space cab

well all i can say he is a idiot should hang his sandles up to long in the touth for it now but if hes doing it maybe i will go back on it if the money is right

egg on legs

egg on legs:

Carl:

well all i can say he is a idiot should hang his sandles up to long in the touth for it now but if hes doing it maybe i will go back on it if the money is right

egg on legs

Hi Kenny, just athought but maybe you should take truckyboy (Bob) with you!!! :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Cheers, bullitt.

Met Astran driver called Trevor at Jabekke couple of weeks ago, a big bear of a brummie. Nice bloke had a G reg 500 V8 Scania.

He told me then that Chris Hooper was back with Astran, and that Dave Poulton is still doing agency work. He knew John Williams but doesn’t know the other two from Destination Doha.

It was one of those times where 45 minutes seemed to be over in the blink of an eye, could of listened to his stories for hours :frowning: :frowning:

bullitt:

egg on legs:

Carl:

egg on legs

Hi Kenny, just athought but maybe you should take truckyboy (Bob) with you!!! :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Cheers, bullitt.

bullitt yes maybe when the summer comes the bones are creeking now (over 50 all of us )so we will see i not like the cold any more thats why i live here in paradise be nice to do sellers do about 3/4 trips and fly home only 6 hours from dubai all best egg on legs

Linux-user:
He told me then that Chris Hooper was back with Astran, and that Dave Poulton is still doing agency work. He knew John Williams but doesn’t know the other two from Destination Doha. :frowning: :frowning:

I remember reading about Chris Hooper who worked for Astran in the magazine called Trucking April 2005 issue no 250. He had a diary system when he worked in the Middle East and he had some good photos and running commentary.

I think Astran was taken over by Seymour Transport Ltd. But I may have been mis-told about this.

I really need to know more about this… school project. Can you PM me some more ideas?

bullitt:

egg on legs:

Carl:

egg on legs

Cheers, bullitt.

hi bulliet was talking to a frieght forwarder at the expats club talking maybe poss to do a overland uk/thailand/uk would be a adventure if it comes off will take truckyboy with me and show him paradise egg

i think it could be hughie ashton this guy was drivin a white globetrotter and was subbing to hargreaves and the guy he worked for was from out that way.he was a shortish chap with a beard and im sure i remember him mentioning murfitts

I keep reading this thread with interest but do any of you big wheelers out there know of Dereck Howell who operated out of Blackburn in the 70’s, I know several of the lads that drove for him and I’m still in touch with them, many of them doing Iraq/Iran and Saudia, you must have come across ‘Scotty’?, Drugan, Billy Whizz, and Ilya Kuriakn.

Billy Whizz - is that the same one who worked for Bowkers?