Protectionist practices

when i see our government agreeing to more and more crap from the EU which ultimately costs jobs and causes hardships here in the UK it [zb] me right off

i don’t agree with much that the septics do, but one excellent piece of legislation regarding the alaska north slope oilfields really stands out; along with many restrictions on the exploration and production of oil from the ANS, every drop which leaves must be carried in US built, flagged, managed (to the point that BP tankers’ head office is in beaverton, oregon - which sounds like a great place to me :wink: ) and CREWED vessels

an absolutely commendable idea in my humble opinion, it’s about time we tried similar tactics instead of selling britain by the kilo, sorry pound :unamused:

Minor language edit. If you have to put little stars in to get it past the word censor that’s the clue that it’s not allowed. Coffeeholic. :wink:

well i’d hoped my post might have garnered some response during the whole weekend, please accept my apologies for trying to widen the discussion from scania longlines and erf gearboxes - should have known better :unamused:

Because the moment we tried to do something like that, the US (or other european countries) would bring the WTO (or the EU) down on us like a ton(ne) of bricks, complaining about unfair trading practices, and ban/tax all imports from the UK as per the usual petty trade embargo squabbles. :unamused:

Interesting thread,sorry I never replied earlier Ive read it three times and still not decided, how or what to say.Although I have not replied I think it sounds very US of A.(Write or wrong , to hell with the cosequences.)

Because the moment we tried to do something like that, the US (or other european countries) would bring the WTO (or the EU) down on us like a ton(ne) of bricks, complaining about unfair trading practices, and ban/tax all imports from the UK as per the usual petty trade embargo squabbles.

But the extra tarriff, 30% if memory serves, the US imposed on steel imports has broken the WTO rules. That hasn’t stopped the tarriff and the legal process is not moving that quickly.

Add into this the revelations of the past week that France and Gremany have been breaking the rules designed to protect the integrity of the Euro and you have another example of economic might being equated as economic right. Certainly does not help strenghten the case for “fair trade”.

Scarily enough, recent news reports have said that the US economy has lost MORE jobs because of the tarifs than they saved by introducing them.