Proffesional Drivers Opinion

Coppers fault.
too fast for his lack of skill.
Vehicle in front has the right of way.
Third lane was due to end, but the copper just had to go for it.
How many times does the indicator have to flash before it’s noticed.
It’s an INDICATOR, Not a REQUESTOR.

Coppers fault,

Yes the wagon shouldn’t have moved into the outside lane but it did. It did it CLEARLY INDICATING and was already well into the manouvre before the copper actually passed the entry sliproad at J1.

The copper had plenty of time to go down the inside before he even got to the wagon but decided that even though he couldn’t see the lorry drivers mirror on the drivers side that the lorry driver would see and hear him even though the lorry drivers view and hearing is restricted by the 44ft trailer he’s pulling with the fridge motor blatting away 2ft from the back of his head.

That copper wants taking out in a wagon and teaching a lesson or two.

Lets put it this way we’re professional drivers and i can honestly say, and i bet the majority on here would not have overtaken that truck for fear of exactly what happened.Have seen that clip many times and you can tell from the cops tone and body language he new he was at fault,very poor to say the least.

Coppers fault. I liked when he said…how did you not see me when i had lights on? Just goes to show that even with extended training some people are just not cut out for it !!

It is clearly the truck drivers fault:
1)he should not have pulled into the third lane(especially as it goes into two 100 yards in front of him)
2)it is illegal to drive in chevrons
he has no excuse,doesnt matter how fast police car was going,sounding horns,flashing lights,whatever.he should have been prepared for the unexpected.
p.s i use this junction on a regular basis,and nearly every time i pull over to the 2nd lane(slightly forward of this collision),there is nearly always a car trying to squeeze between barrier and me.a lot of indication and double checking including a “lifesaver” are required here.

buck73:
It is clearly the truck drivers fault:
1)he should not have pulled into the third lane(especially as it goes into two 100 yards in front of him)
2)it is illegal to drive in chevrons
he has no excuse,doesnt matter how fast police car was going,sounding horns,flashing lights,whatever.he should have been prepared for the unexpected.

Interesting viewpoint :exclamation: :wink:

I don’t care whose fault it is. If that copper spoke to me like that the ■■■■ would be picking his teeth up off the floor. He asks the driver a question then doesn’t allow him to answer. Maybe there was an obstruction in the highway and the driver was moving to avoid it. Whoevers fault it was the copper acted like a total bell end and made himself look even more stupid on camera.

Hasn’t this been posted here before? last year or so?

edit

Foundlinky

PC langley (very accident prone :confused: ) said he had lights on but no blues and two’s

andy187:
Hasn’t this been posted here before? last year or so?

sorry for not checking back 18 months! :open_mouth:

how stupid of me! :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Copper’s fault…he was travelling at 130mph without his blues on (you could see he switched them on AFTER the collision). Afaik the copper was reprimanded over this as it was said that he was just showing off to the tv crew!

In both incidents the Police driver was at fault. He was driving with the thought of the incident and not concentrating on driving safely…read Roadcraft and you can see he hasnt!!!

MacDoog:
In both incidents the Police driver was at fault. He was driving with the thought of the incident and not concentrating on driving safely…read Roadcraft and you can see he hasnt!!!

Correct.

Emergency service drivers (especially the police) are allowed certain exemptions in regard to complying with traffic laws BUT they are trained to allow for the fact that other road users will not be expecting them to make certain manoeuvres.

They are trained to expect other road users will not react or go in they way that they expect them to and to form a second, third or fourth driving plan in case of that happening.

Clearly, in this case, the police driver did not consider anything else but had a fixed plan with no alternatives.

Yes, the truck driver made an error in using lane 3 but then so could any other motorist with that road set up.
That does not excuse the police driver in any way.

No motorist would have been reasonably ‘expecting’ another vehicle to be approaching from behind at such speed unless that was an emergency vehicle with all the usual warning devices working.

Do we apportion any blame on the trucker for making a slight error of judgement when the mirrors would have been checked & the indicator used in plenty of time? - I think not as the trucker judged everything on the reasonable expected flow speeds of any traffic that might be about.

The police car driver clearly needs some major assessing & retraining.

:smiley: In the process of reading it now Rog…will have to put it all into practice at N Wales driving school very soon. From what Ive read so far that PC couldnt have got it more wrong if hed tried!!!

I say the cop as i also use the slogan always expect the unexpected and didn’t slow down at all

50/50, the truck driver shouldn’t have been going into lane three, BUT the junction is not particularly well signed and he may not have been familiar with it. At the end of the day the police driver has been trained to advanced standards and should be aware of limited rearward vision from the cab of a HGV and the fact of a closing speed over three times faster than normal. He would have been in and out of the driver’s mirrors in a flash.

coppers fault
the truck was indicating
plod couldnt see if there was a genuine reason for truck to move into lane 3
so shouldnt have assumed he could barge through
perhaps to avoid obstacles on carraigeway

hitch:
coppers fault
the truck was indicating
plod couldnt see if there was a genuine reason for truck to move into lane 3
so shouldnt have assumed he could barge through
perhaps to avoid obstacles on carraigeway

That is one senario that I did not consider - a hazard in lane 2.

I can see this film being used in the Police training schools as an example of why you should always expect the unexpected.

20/80 blame on the coppers part :unamused: :unamused:

I was going to post this very question a while back but never got round to it. IMO its got to be the coppers fault. Hes an ADVANCED DRIVER but approached the lorry at very high speed without his blue lights on. The lorry was indicating right and as the police car approached the lorries drivers side mirror was obscured due to curvature of the road. OK, the lorry driver made a mistake by going into lane 3, but he WAS indicating and if the police car had its blues and twos on it would have alerted the lorry driver to its presence much earler.

Slow moving HGV vs fast moving poilce car. HGV was indicating but police car still tried to get round after driving thorugh lorries blind spot. COPPERS FAULT.

From what I can remember there WAS a chase on. the police had spotted a BMW doing 100+ and were trying to catch him up. They wernt using the blues and twos so they could “sneak up” on the offending BMW.

edit watched the video all the way though…

copper you cant drive this car in lane 3… WTF?!